City Council Meetings to Begin with Muslim Prayers

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Council President Jo Winch called it an important move for the Council. "I feel it is very important that, as a Council, we project a culture of inclusiveness in the City of Hartford. Too often it is our differences that divide us. In my opinion, it is our combination of differences that makes us strong," Winch said.
I'm sure the ACLU will be down on them in a heartbeat.

I wonder if that "culture of inclusiveness" Winch is so fond of includes observing Christmas activities at local schools & putting a manger scene on city property.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt Mr. Winch is a strong proponent for the pledge of allegiance in the classroom as well! ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is Appleseeds he usually eats this shit up.
Right here. This is straight up bullshit. See separation of Church and State.

The shit I eat up is the Constitution, separation of church and state, personal liberty, and identifying and specifically targeting our enemies.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Before reading the article: My thought is that if a christian prayer is commonly offered, then "equal time" should be accorded the other major, and minor religions, and, occasionally, a non-prayer to acknowledge the athiests.

After reading: since the council generally does not open with a prayer, it's venal pandering.

Prayers belong in one's heart, or one's church...not in the government.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This kind of $hit scares the crap out of me........this will not end well for all non muslims. Every day I hear a story about this stuff I can't help but think there will come a time we will have to "fight" as citizens at some level for our freedom, as us "infidels" will become outlaws...

vicpinto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This kind of $hit scares the crap out of me........this will not end well for all non muslims. Every day I hear a story about this stuff I can't help but think there will come a time we will have to "fight" as citizens at some level for our freedom, as us "infidels" will become outlaws...
Plenty o' people around here could care less. Witness the other muslim thread that Derek just closed. The time for "why can't we all get along" has passed.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Before reading the article: My thought is that if a christian prayer is commonly offered, then "equal time" should be accorded the other major, and minor religions, and, occasionally, a non-prayer to acknowledge the athiests.

After reading: since the council generally does not open with a prayer, it's venal pandering.

Prayers belong in one's heart, or one's church...not in the government.
Agree here. Equal time/Alternating days or none at all for anyone.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sadly, the moonbats encouraging this will pat themselves on the back about how "progressive" they are out of liberal self-hating and guilt.. just like O-bots do. They will do that all the way to the killing fields to be stoned to death for being an infidel, and drag those not on board with their guilt down with them.

Pilgrim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Originally Posted by Appleseeds:
See separation of Church and State.
While I appreciate your sentiment and agree that this is an outrage:

The Constitution says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

That has been subverted to "Government can't do anything that has anything to do with religion".

Not trying to be argumentative here but with people throw 'church and state' around, they should know what they're throwing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing some further reading, many city councils open their meetings with Christian prayers. Take it as you will.

Bill Nance

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Doing some further reading, many city councils open their meetings with Christian prayers. Take it as you will.
If public servants want to pray they can go to church. If they want to pray publicly, they are free to do so as private persons.

But if they want to pray as part of an official state act, that's way over the line. Doesn't matter a bit to me the flavor of the religion. It doesn't belong as an official part of any government activity. And offering a completely sectarian prayer, especially a Muslim or Christian one, is so far past the line of establishing a religion it's not even a question of whether it violates the 1st amendment. When a public servant spouts a prayer of a religion whose official position is: "If you believe differently than us you are wrong and going to Hell" as a part of his official capacity, it's clearly establishing an exclusive religion.

It is implicit in such an act that everyone not of the faith of the prayer is of less status. It sends a very unsubtle message that the non-believer or believer of another religion is a second-rate citizen and that religion, not reason, will be made to issue decisions, particularly if there is a dispute between a believer and non-believer. Thus the non-believer is coerced by an unsubtle threat into maintaining silence about their religious views or risk adverse consequences from government which is obligated to treat him equally regardless of religious affiliation.

I don't care a bit what religion people have. When they try to stick it in official government business, it's wrong. Period.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in primary school, we used to start our day by standing up and reciting the Pledge of Allegience during homeroom.

Can't we all just do that, instead of some darn prayer to some unknown ethereal deity? At least the Pledge was given with hand-over-heart to something tangible and real, which is the idealism of America.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If public servants want to pray they can go to church. If they want to pray publicly, they are free to do so as private persons....
My point was that people will jump on the anti-Islam bandwagon as quickly as they can, but I wonder how many of these people would've bitched about Christian prayers. Or if it would've even made the news.

Top Bottom