• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cincinnati police chief advises staff of legality regarding open carry of a firearm

Yet some here waste no time reminding me how Ohio is so much worse than Mass......[laugh]

I grew up in OH. I've been stuck here in MA for the last 30 Yrs. If there were well-paying tech jobs in OH (and an ocean) I'd be back in a flash. Local government still remembers who they work for in the midwest.

I grew up in OH. I've been stuck here in MA for the last 30 Yrs. If there were well-paying tech jobs in OH (and an ocean) I'd be back in a flash. Local government still remembers who they work for in the midwest.

The cost of living here is significantly lower.

Freedom > beaches. And I grew up in a Caribbean island.

Yet some here waste no time reminding me how Ohio is so much worse than Mass......[laugh]

Before OH got CCW, and the reforms over the past few years there, it was a ****ing mess, you gotta admit that... that's way in the past now, though.

-Mike

buckeyesportsstuff_1996_37366347.gif

He's also a Phoenix :)

LOL! Once again you stole a line I was going to use.

This would probably be why he issued the memo. My guess is he doesn't want to be sued.

Since Cleveland v. State of Ohio, 2010-Ohio-6318, regulation of the "ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition" is only done by state and federal law. Local municipal laws may only regulate the discharge of firearms. Therefore, officers should not charge individuals with violations of the Cincinnati Municipal Code unless the ordinance deals with the discharge of a firearm.

Last edited:
Hey - any of you po po lurkers here on NES. Is this anything that could be shared over at masscops? If for no other reason than to generate discussion.

Thank you, signed a lurker on masscops.

Craig was the Chief in Portland for less than a year I think, before Cincinnatti (he bailed out of here as soon as the bigger job came along). I can't remember him as being memorable on the gun rights issue, one way or the other. My guess would be he is an anti.

My guess would be he is an anti.

The government of Cincinnati, as well as the government of every major city in Ohio, is at least mildly anti gun. Which means that the police chiefs of all those cities (Dayton, Toledo, Columbus, and Cleveland) will toe the same line or will have their lives be made quite unpleasant.

This is not really a gun issue. Its an issue about whether or you believe in the rule of law. Our system is very black and white. If something is not explicitly prohibited, then its allowed. I live my life based on this. I obey the law. But I'm not going to worry myself looking for a law that allows an activity.

A chief who believes in the rule of law, but doesn't like guns, should not have any more problem with OC than wit CC.

Craig was the Chief in Portland for less than a year I think, before Cincinnatti (he bailed out of here as soon as the bigger job came along). I can't remember him as being memorable on the gun rights issue, one way or the other. My guess would be he is an anti.

He started in Detroit, then rose through the ranks in LAPD. He definitely wasn't gun friendly in Cincinnati.

Maybe I have to give Central/SW/SE Ohio another look, as my experience in Northeast Ohio was far, far different...It's a wasteland...I guess it's a fantasyland if you like rednecks, cornfields, locust swarms, brutally hot summers, miserably cold snowless winters and the Amish. I am however a rabid Buckeyes fan and loved my days in Columbus. Relative freedom is wonderful - especially if the area you live in doesn't suck balls... If the rest of Ohio is so great, they should annex Youngstown to Pennsylvania, or wall it up and flood Lake Erie into it...I'd only move back there if I was lobotomized and even then I'd probably be like Jack Nicholson when the pillow comes down and put up a bit of a fight...

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom