• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chucky Schumer Wants Veterans Guns

If you wash your hands too many times or bite your fingernails, you can have a psychiatric diagnosis.

Sounds like a good reason to take away someones rights forever. [thinking]

B

Just being the devil's advocate here, and trying to contribute to this thread in an intelligent manner. If I can argue that way, you bet the antis will do so as well. When they do, shouldn't we have a few good answers to throw out there? Those anti 2nd A guys are usually a breeze to out-argue, but you need soem ground to stand on. In this case, the ice is rather thin, isn't it?

You completely missed my point. Completely. You're not real good with subtlety, are you. Let me make it easy (stay with me here for a minute)...

You talked about someone being DIAGNOSED with PTSD, which is a very loosely defined 'disorder' with no definitive scientific test. Whether someone has it or not is entirely decided by the person doing the examination, and the process is very subjective (that means that it's open to interpretation). Once you start prohibiting people with PTSD because they have a mental illness (a.k.a. they're 'crazy'), you're starting down the slipperiest of slippery slopes. Here's why:

Who diagnoses vets with "PTSD"? Answer: Gov't doctors.

With an anti-gun administration in place, isn't it conceivable that the doctors that prevent the most people from getting guns end up getting the best jobs and promotions?

Let's say I was the doctor and I was encouraged (and empowered) to make people prohibited persons, and you came to see me and I didn't like you. All I'd have to say was "I think you're crazy", and you would lose your ability to own guns forever. Sure you could find another doctor to put his life and career on the line to swear you were sane, but good luck with that.

There is a really good way to prevent this from happening: Don't let doctors do this.

If you're in favor of this, you trust the government too much and you hate freedom. It's pretty black-and-white.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide any evidence that the VHA is reporting patients to NICS based solely on having a diagnosis for PTSD or any other MH condition, or that such a report would make one a federally prohibited person?

(a sneaky non-sequitur in an infowars article is not evidence)

You did notice your medical records are now in the computer last trip to the doc? It WILL be used against us, one way or another.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

EXACTLY - with all the new regulations and 2000+ page laws being implemented, it wouldn't take much to stitch them all together and before you know it - NO ONE is allowed to own firearms. None of elected officials would know until it was too late either and they don't read the bills anyway.

I heard there's a bunch of ex-Soviet "psychiatrists" who are looking for work. Apparently there's a provision somewhere in the 2500 pages or whatever it is of the Obamacare bill that carves out a niche for them in the Veteran's Administration as "veteran's counselors". You know sort of like how took a bunch of Nazi scientists over here after WW2 - and then took some of their laws too - like when we enacted GCA 68. Now that we've finally gotten close enough to become U.S.S.A - it was felt we could bring over all these guys with the exact kind of experience that was needed to properly process all the enemies of the regime.

Now who here is "crazy".........................

If you wash your hands too many times or bite your fingernails, you can have a psychiatric diagnosis.

Sounds like a good reason to take away someones rights forever. [thinking]

B

Anybody who doesn't believe that this happens ought to go back to school and start working towards a psych degree. When I was doing it 30 years ago - they would actually teach this in class. The "disorders" and "diseases" that come and go in the DSM - change all the time.

Psychology and Psychiatry are not exactly hard sciences where you can prove things definitively one way or another. There is a MASSIVE amount of opinion and subjectiveness that gets applied.

Anybody who doesn't believe that this happens ought to go back to school and start working towards a psych degree. When I was doing it 30 years ago - they would actually teach this in class. The "disorders" and "diseases" that come and go in the DSM - change all the time.

Psychology and Psychiatry are not exactly hard sciences where you can prove things definitively one way or another. There is a MASSIVE amount of opinion and subjectiveness that gets applied.

If I'm not mistaken, homosexuality was a DSM diagnosis not long ago.

Sure you could find another doctor to put his life and career on the line to swear you were sane, but good luck with that.

I did that mistake once. Doctor told me I was too fat. I said "I want a second opinion". He said "OK, you're ugly".

If I'm not mistaken, homosexuality was a DSM diagnosis not long ago.

Exactly. It got taken out because of political pressure. Just like people in the Soviet Union would get "diagnosed" with phsycological illness - for political reasons.

Just like if the banning of PTSD patients from owning guns is allowed to stand - you'll find PTSD diagnosis going up - a lot.

My mother is a private psychiatrist in Florida. She was explaining to me one night why she doesn't take any form of government money (ie. Medicare, Medicaid). She refuses business so as not to have to play ball with the government. Believe it or not, she's been pretty successful.

John McCain, the consummate veteran and protector of our rights:

After a similar plea from Sen. Barbara Boxer, California Democrat, and a warning from Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, that the move could embolden Democrats’ push for filibuster reforms, Mr. Coburn eventually backed off.

“There’s more here, frankly, than just a refusal to allow an amendment,” Mr. McCain said. “That is going to mean that it’s more likely that we have this showdown, which we think — many of us think — would be devastating to this institution and the way that it’s done business for a couple of hundred years.”

Link

Traitor to his fellow servicemen and the Constitution.

You did notice your medical records are now in the computer last trip to the doc? It WILL be used against us, one way or another.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

The VA has had an electronic medical record since the mid 90's. To generate a list of patients who've had a mental health diagnosis would take about a 1/2 hour of programmer time, and maybe a few hours of run time at the most. It would be unreliable, with a lot of false positives and false negatives. They sure are taking their time with it.

If the VA didn't have an EMR and wanted a list of patients with MH diagnoses, the secretary would issue a directive to VISN directors, who would issue a directive to medical center directors, who would issue a directive to staff. As a top priority, it would take maybe a couple weeks at the most and be just as unreliable as the data mining method. If the government wanted the names of all MH patients in a healthcare system, they can get it with or without electronic records.

The irony in this thread amazes me. There's a concern by posters here that veterans would be discouraged from seeking MH care because their names will be reported to NICS, yet the only reason they might think that's true is because of the misinformation spread by people who expressed the concern in the first place!

For the record, my stance is that any adult not currently incarcerated has full gun rights.

John McCain, the consummate veteran and protector of our rights:

Link

Traitor to his fellow servicemen and the Constitution.

We've had this discussion in some other thread at some point, but McCain is one of the most dangerous politicians out there when it comes to freedom. Here's a guy who spent time being tortured as a POW, yet he signs every single bill on indefinite detainment and torture he can get he grubby hands on. NDAA? Yup. Patriot Act? Yup. Guantanamo? Yup.

A guy like that is 10x as dangerous as a Nancy Pelosi. At least she's just a spoiled brat who doesn't really know any better.

We've had this discussion in some other thread at some point, but McCain is one of the most dangerous politicians out there when it comes to freedom. Here's a guy who spent time being tortured as a POW, yet he signs every single bill on indefinite detainment and torture he can get he grubby hands on. NDAA? Yup. Patriot Act? Yup. Guantanamo? Yup.

A guy like that is 10x as dangerous as a Nancy Pelosi. At least she's just a spoiled brat who doesn't really know any better.

+1. McCain is about as bad as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom