• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chronographs

Jamie

NES Member
For those of you measuring your own velocities, what are you using and how do you like it? I've been looking for a chronograph, but wanted a bit of input from the experienced folks here.

I use the standard cheapo F1 Chrony. I forget how much it cost but it was under $100. ($86?) Doesn't work bad overall. Make sure you use the skyscreens when it gets bright out, otherwise you'll get lots of errors and bogus readings.

One of these days maybe I'll get the printer for it.. that would have been nice to have.

-Mike

I've got a Shooting Chrony. I picked up the Beta Master. The only reason I chose it over the F1 is so I could shoot a string without either having someone write down the data for me or changing my sight picture. I figured I may as well get accuracy and velocity data the same time. I would have been happy with the alpha but MidwayUSA was out of stock at the time I ordered it.

I had the Chrony Beta Master for years and thought it was a good chronograph. Its major draw was the lack of user friendly controls and it also often dropped shots

I purchased the CED M2 Millennium, based on a recommendation from a shooter whose knowledge I respect (GTOShooter). I find its controls are much easier to use, it doesn’t drop shots and I have been very happy with it (so far).

Shooter’s Connection Package deal #1. The case has snaps to hold your tripod, which is not included.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/index.php?cPath=81_136

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
Does everyone use stand alone units, or does anyone plug their unit into a laptop?
My Chrony Beta Master and my CED M2 were stand alone units. Both were connected to a control unit at the shooting bench unit via a cable. The CED can be connected to my home computer by a USB cable, to down load data when I return home.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
I have the shooting Chrony Beta Master (Blue model) and I like it. I upgraded it to the 1000 shot memory and that was the best $15 spent. When I go to the range all I record its the particular load and what string # it was. The Chrony remembers data on 100 ten shot strings so I don't have to write anything down till I get home from the range. Very handy.
-Cuz.

I have a Competition Electronics unit that has served me well for over 20 years. A similar model is available today for about $100.

I use the standard cheapo F1 Chrony. I forget how much it cost but it was under $100. ($86?) Doesn't work bad overall.
-Mike

I have the cheap Chrony also and it works fine. I bring a note pad and calculator to do the math. I even shot it by accident and returned it for repair. My has got to be 10 years old and still going strong.

I first used a friends Shooting Chrony (F1) and it was OK.

My wife bought me a Pact Professional and it's very good. I had a bad year last year with it. I kept taking out the skyscreen uprights, an IR unit and the skysceen sensors to the tune of $200. All this done with handguns. No problems with the .308Win nor the .338LM.

Last year I was the ammo nazi at a major nationals match and used 2 CED M2's. What a POS. The check chrono quit altogether and the primary chrono started to give false readings, to the point that it could not be trusted.

Depending on the situation at the range, a chronograph that has the capability to use IR screens can be very useful. Nothing like loading up ammo and going to the range to find out that the sun isn't right and you get buggy readings.

B

Depending on the situation at the range, a chronograph that has the capability to use IR screens can be very useful. Nothing like loading up ammo and going to the range to find out that the sun isn't right and you get buggy readings.

B
What chronograph did you experience “buggy” problems with, do to sun light? Could you describe the lighting conditions?

Respectfully,
jkelly

It was an Oehler P35 and it was overcast and I was shooting moly rifle bullets. I think it was a combination of the three things. Oehler does sell a kit to illuminate the sky screen but it's pricey and even more work setting up the thing.

B

I've been thinking about getting a chrono, but I'm trying to figure something out. I've heard some say that they don't work well in sunlight, and some say that they don't work well in shade/indoors. Which is it, or does it vary by manufacturer?

It was an Oehler P35 and it was overcast and I was shooting moly rifle bullets. I think it was a combination of the three things. Oehler does sell a kit to illuminate the sky screen but it's pricey and even more work setting up the thing.

B

When it's overcast I just take the sky screens off my chrony altogether. It only refuses to work or gives errors if it gets really dark out.

-Mike

I have a CED Millenium with infared sky screens. I travel all over the place and have my ammo tested on the same setup at major matches and it is always pretty close to what I've tested at home.

To be dead on reliable regardless of the available light, I built a wooden box to contain the IR illuminated screens, a chrono coffin. It has a handle on top so it sort of doubles as a case.

Last year I was the ammo nazi at a major nationals match and used 2 CED M2's. What a POS. The check chrono quit altogether and the primary chrono started to give false readings, to the point that it could not be trusted.
What match was this and whose CED M2s were they?

Respectfully,
jkelly

I have a CED M2 and couldnt be happier with it (IR screens).
Indoors/outdoors works like a charm everytime. Nothing compared to the issues I have encountered using other lower cost brands.

You can use the Pact set up with the Oehler chronos.

B

I've been thinking about getting a chrono, but I'm trying to figure something out. I've heard some say that they don't work well in sunlight, and some say that they don't work well in shade/indoors. Which is it, or does it vary by manufacturer?

Bright sunshine is problematic, just build a chrono coffin and use a the IR set up.

What match was this and whose CED M2s were they?

Respectfully,
jkelly

The match doesn't matter nor does the supplier but they were 2 brand new units complete with IR inside a coffin.

On a personal note, I'm in the process of building a collaspable coffin and will use the exclusively.

In hindsight, I do remember having one day where were scratching our heads at the readings or lack thereof from my CED in the coffin. We found that it was just the rechargable battery for the IR lights. Swapped the battery for a power cord, and it was golden again.

My coffin is popular. My shooter friends like the relability, my bunny likes to go in and munch on the cords, and my cat thinks it is some sort of port-a-potty.

I HAD one of the F1 chronographs until 10:45 this morning. I shot it with a .44 magnum out of my Redhawk. Oh well.
The guys that gather around the video system at Sippican R&G on Sundays may get a chuckle out of this. If anyone local needs the little rods and shade pieces they can have them.
IMG_0925.jpg

The match doesn't matter nor does the supplier but they were 2 brand new units complete with IR inside a coffin.
Both the match and chronographs owners do matter as I wanted to get more complete information. If you could pass that information on to me I'd appreciate it.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I HAD one of the F1 chronographs until 10:45 this morning. I shot it with a .44 magnum out of my Redhawk. Oh well.
The guys that gather around the video system at Sippican R&G on Sundays may get a chuckle out of this. If anyone local needs the little rods and shade pieces they can have them.
IMG_0925.jpg

Jerked the trigger, didn't we.

Both the match and chronographs owners do matter as I wanted to get more complete information. If you could pass that information on to me I'd appreciate it.

Respectfully,
jkelly

No it doesn't.

Suffice to say that it happened, the MD knew about it as we had discussed it, and I don't BS.

Jerked the trigger, didn't we.

No it doesn't.
It does to me!

This is pretty simple:
You made statement, but have been evasive about backing your statement up, which leaves the validly of your statement, and your conclusion drawn from it, in doubt.

jkelly

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing back the old thread.
Could you please describe the "Chrono coffin" you built, or even better, post a pic? It would be really helpful.

I have a CED Millenium with infared sky screens. I travel all over the place and have my ammo tested on the same setup at major matches and it is always pretty close to what I've tested at home.

To be dead on reliable regardless of the available light, I built a wooden box to contain the IR illuminated screens, a chrono coffin. It has a handle on top so it sort of doubles as a case.

Back
Top Bottom