Chronograph?

I'm just getting back into reloading after a number of years in storage, and I never did do any chronography to dial-in loads. I don't reload many calibers-only .45, 9mm, and .223. Is it better to simply make a friend and meet them at the range?
At what point is it better to go buy one? What do you recommend for a mid-range chronograph?

I got a Shooting Chrony that works well for me. They have various models with different feature levels, the most basic model runs about $80. You can find them on Amazon.

I might as well chime in on this as well. I have the same model as EC and CC. Works just like advertised. Put it on a Wally World camera tripod, and your good to go.

I had a basic $60 shooting Chrony for 15 years, shot it once and had it fixed then a knucklehead friend blew it to bits trying to chrony a shotgun load. I upgraded to a PACT that I got from Dillon for $150. Get a basic shooting Chrony, a $3 calculator and a $1 notebook and pencil and you are good to go.

I bought one myself and am very happy with it. I am using the "bare bones" model now but intend to upgrade by adding the remote control and computer interface. I have been using CE products for 30 years with great results. I started by buying a CE timer after getting shafted by PACT. I then bought one of their chronos. The timer failed after 7 or 8 years of use and was repaired for $35, including shipping. The chrono is still functioning flawlessly. I replaced the old chrono for the added functions of the new model, not due to any dissatisfaction with the 30 year old model. I am big fan of CE products.

I have the beta. It has been great so far and I like the display being right next to me

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I've used that one. It's pickier w/r/t lighting than the CE chrono. If you're going to use it on the range at Shirley, go in the morning.

Will any of these work OK on a not very well lit indoor range? I've been thinking of getting one, but don't currently have a membership at an outdoor range.

Will any of these work OK on a not very well lit indoor range? I've been thinking of getting one, but don't currently have a membership at an outdoor range.

The CED M2 has an optional infrared lighting setup. I've seen these used inside plywood boxes at USPSA matches.(to take inconsistency from variable lighting out of the equation)

my shooting crony works well for my indoor pellet gun testing with a large spot light above it....but will go wacko if the florecent light is on also. other than that low light is the only problem i have had....

+1 to this recommendation. For the money, it's quite a value. Check out the reviews for it on midway - they're excellent. IIRC, much better than some of the higher priced units.

The only time we've ever had any difficulty with it is with small, extremely fast calibers in bad lighting conditions, and even then we can usually get it working. Well, except for the time that my dad shot it. It's not extremely bullet-resistant.

Last edited:
I've used that one. It's pickier w/r/t lighting than the CE chrono. If you're going to use it on the range at Shirley, go in the morning.

How does "pickier" manifest itself? Is it in inconsistent or widely varying readings? or consistently skewed readings (ie. 1200 fps when it is really only 1100)?

It won't give you any (or reliable) readings unless the light hits it properly.

You'll fire a shot through it and it will either be not recognized at all, or give you an obviously wacky reading.

Any chrono will do this with bad light, but the one in your link seemed to be worse than the CE one that I have (in my experience).

The ranges at Shirley are in the shadows in the afternoon, and that's when I had problems. Even the one I recommended doesn't work well at twilight on the ranges at Shirley. I found a way around it though.

Last edited:

None of them will without some kind of optional lighting kit. I don't use one, so I can't make a recommendation. I try to time my chrono sessions so that they're outside in good light.

Last edited:

I got the same one EC suggested http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph along with the optional light and software. I'm extremely happy with the set up. I use it at an indoor range. The software allows me to use my laptop as a remote and I can save the files as PDF's so I can e-mail my friends their results. It sets up pretty easy. One thing on whichever one you get, replace the metal skyscreen rods with wooden dowels (3/16" if I recall correctly) that way if you happen to hit one, hopefully the dowel just snaps and doesn't destroy the chrony. Midway usually has the CE chrony on sale every other month for $99.00. One other note, the pc interface is actually cheaper than the remote control plus you can do more with the pc kit.

Last edited:
I have a RCBS AmmoMaster. Most of the reviews online aren't exactly stellar, but mine hasn't done me wrong. FWIW, I have nothing to compare it to.

I was watching the price on this one for awhile after many good recommendations, and the price dropped $20 this past week It is now $100. Many people here, and on other forums recommend it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

The Competition Electronics is a fantastic unit for the money. It is just a plastic housing, a pair of lenses and some circuit boards--but it rarely gives bad data. Best of all--if you shoot it (and you undoubtedly will) or even if it gets otherwise destroyed (mine was found literally floating in my BIL's flooded basement) Competiton Elecronics will rebuild it for no more than HALF the price you paid for it. My unit was dead as a doornail, and they charged me $30 (shipped) to repair it good as new.

I would advise a CE owner to replace the metal dowels (which hold the skylight screens) with wooden dowels, avaialble at Home Depot etc. IF you happen to shoot the dowels a wooden dowel instantly disintegrates and transmit almost no shock to the chrono--unlike the metal dowels.

Good luck.

The Competition Electronics is a fantastic unit for the money. It is just a plastic housing, a pair of lenses and some circuit boards--but it rarely gives bad data. Best of all--if you shoot it (and you undoubtedly will) or even if it gets otherwise destroyed (mine was found literally floating in my BIL's flooded basement) Competiton Elecronics will rebuild it for no more than HALF the price you paid for it. My unit was dead as a doornail, and they charged me $30 (shipped) to repair it good as new.

I would advise a CE owner to replace the metal dowels (which hold the skylight screens) with wooden dowels, avaialble at Home Depot etc. IF you happen to shoot the dowels a wooden dowel instantly disintegrates and transmit almost no shock to the chrono--unlike the metal dowels.

Good luck.

I second your praise for CE. I have been doing business with them for many years with no complaints, unlike my rather disappointing experience with PACT (PACT customer service is the pits!). Thanks for the tip on the metal dowels, it never dawned on me that they could transmit enough energy to damage the chrono.

I do, however, disagree that you will "undoubtedly" shoot the down range style chrono. I just retired my original CE chrono after over 25 years of use with no damage. The only problem I ever had occured when testing some shotgun slugs that I loaded in plastic wads. The slugs passed through the cardboard "targets" on the chrono, but the wads took out the cardboard. No damage to the chrono and it is easy to make new aiming "targets".

The original CE chrono was retired because it is a real "bare bones" model, not due to any problems. It functions just as well today as when I first purchased it. The new model has many more functions, is half the size of the original, has a huge aiming area, and cost $99 compared to the $175 I paid for the original. CE is well worth considering when purchasing a chrono, PACT should be avoided like the plague.

Gammon--

LOL--there is one major difference in our compared experiences. I loan my chrono to pretty much anybody who needs it, and no matter how many times you try to explain sight/scope offset there is always somebody who doesn't quite get it.

I have also noticed that inexperienced pistol shooters are absolutely the death of chronos--seconded only by "the hurried set". I was chronographing rifle loads one afternoon and it started raining, wasn't quite finished, one more load to chrono, pulled the chrono under cover to get it out of the rain and I was about to pack it in for the day, when the rain tapered off and there was a lull. Like a dummy I hurried the set (OK! Looks GOOD!)--and my third shot put a nice crease in the plastic halfway down the chrono.

Oh well. Lesson learned--and it is nice to learn those lessons on a $99 chrono.

All the best.

Gammon--

LOL--there is one major difference in our compared experiences. I loan my chrono to pretty much anybody who needs it, and no matter how many times you try to explain sight/scope offset there is always somebody who doesn't quite get it.

I have also noticed that inexperienced pistol shooters are absolutely the death of chronos--seconded only by "the hurried set". I was chronographing rifle loads one afternoon and it started raining, wasn't quite finished, one more load to chrono, pulled the chrono under cover to get it out of the rain and I was about to pack it in for the day, when the rain tapered off and there was a lull. Like a dummy I hurried the set (OK! Looks GOOD!)--and my third shot put a nice crease in the plastic halfway down the chrono.

Oh well. Lesson learned--and it is nice to learn those lessons on a $99 chrono.

All the best.

I have guarded my chrono like a mother bear protecting her cubs. I don't remember anyone ever using it. Scoped rifles are a problem and ARs are the worst. I guess my old chrono has led a rather sheltered life, thus its longevity.

The good news is that the aiming area on the new CE chrono is HUGE. I am checking it out right now as I fit some 3/16 wood dowels. Thanks for the tip.

I found this thread...looking to get a chronograph, and figured I'd bump this thread in case there are any newer updates...or different recommendations

Back
Top Bottom