Chronograph

What brand do you use.
I have a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph
What brand ,and how does it work. Also in what conditions does it not work best ?
I'm thinking of getting a new one.
Thanks, Mike

I've used a ShootingChrony Beta-Master. Wasn't particularly impressed.

Recently been using a CED Millenium2 (with IR screens, as it's typically used indoors). Been spot on every time, and its numbers match up with the numbers I got on my buddies Oehler (top of the line chrono)

I have a CED Millennium. I don't have the IR screens. It works quite well outside, as long as there is no snow on the ground. It doesn't work inside without the IR screens.

If you want to meet up sometime to chrono some rounds, send me a PM -- I know you're trying to get ready for S&W. I'm a member at Wayland Rod & Gun.

I've got the shooting chrony Master Beta. It is sensitive to light conditions. It works best in the noon sun. Make sure you have a fresh 9V battery. I've had erratic readings with one on the way out. It's good to have a reference to compare to. Something like WWB in the same gun or bring along a .22LR pistol and use the same batch of ammo each time.

I use a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono. It is a one piece, no frills unit that mounts on a tripod down range. This model is accurate and works under almost all lighting conditions, except indoors. As I said, it is a no frills unit that only gives you only indvidual shot readout and string total. This chrono has served me well for over 25 years. I would love to get my hands on a CED with all the options, but I just can't bring myself to replace the Pro Chrono that has worked so well.

Shooting Chrony Beta Master user. the UI is horrible, I'm a lifelong computer geek and it still confuses the chit out of me every time I take it out to use it; I always need the manual to get things going. Once I remember the incantations to get things set it's usually reliable. I keep the screens on and have used it outdoors at dusk and noon time and it's given reliable readings in reference to itself, I don't have another chrony to test against. I'd like to get the LED screens so I can use it indoors but I can't bring myself to pay $100 for lights for a $100 chronograph.

I too bring a .22LR pistol to the range to make sure I have my distances right and double check how behavior in the light before I start my "record" strings.

I am using a Shooting Chrony Master Beta as well outside. I have used it 3 times and it just seems to work fine. I agree with BB that the UI sucks, but I get great satisfaction pressing the "FU" button!

I wonder how hard it would be to mount a couple of LEDs to the screens?

I am using a Shooting Chrony Master Beta as well outside. I have used it 3 times and it just seems to work fine. I agree with BB that the UI sucks, but I get great satisfaction pressing the "FU" button!

I wonder how hard it would be to mount a couple of LEDs to the screens?

Underwhere did just that. My search foo sucks at the moment though.

ETA: FOUND IT

Last edited:
I use a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono. It is a one piece, no frills unit that mounts on a tripod down range. This model is accurate and works under almost all lighting conditions, except indoors. As I said, it is a no frills unit that only gives you only indvidual shot readout and string total. This chrono has served me well for over 25 years. I would love to get my hands on a CED with all the options, but I just can't bring myself to replace the Pro Chrono that has worked so well.

We use this as well. Like you say, simple, but seems very reliable - moreso than you'd think, reading people's reviews of different chronys. To see what I mean, read the reviews for this one on midway against the CED...

I have an Oehler. It's a PITA to use. I would look at the CED Millenium with the IR screens.

B

You know that you can use PACT IR sensors and screens with the Oehler?

I run a PACT Professional with IR.

If you need battery powder due to no hydro at the range, then make up your cables with the necessary plugs and two alligator clips plus a 6v lantern battery (it's cheaper to buy a $6 lantern than a $9 battery). You can get the wire, plugs and clips from Radio Shack, and the lantern from the loacal hardware store.

You know that you can use PACT IR sensors and screens with the Oehler?

I run a PACT Professional with IR.

If you need battery powder due to no hydro at the range, then make up your cables with the necessary plugs and two alligator clips plus a 6v lantern battery (it's cheaper to buy a $6 lantern than a $9 battery). You can get the wire, plugs and clips from Radio Shack, and the lantern from the loacal hardware store.

Avoid PACT products; their customer service sucks!

I bought one of the original PACT timers for $375.00 (ouch!). I used it for about seven years and then it died. They refused to even LOOK at the timer unless I agreed to pay an hourly fee. This was after I had returned it to them and they sat on it for several months without contacting me. They offered me a slight discount on their "new and improved" model but I declined and bought a Competition Electronics timer for less money.

The CE timer served me well for about seven years and then it also died. I contacted CE with my problem and they told me to return the timer. The timer was promptly returned to me in as new condition for $35 which included shipping. It is still working ten years later.

Which company would you do business with?

PS My Competiotion Electronics chrono has served me well for over 20 years. it is the bare bones model. I would love to get one of the new, sophisticated chronos, but I just can't bring myself to replace the old CE unit as it works so well.

I have a Chrony Beta Master that I have never gotten to work properly. Midway had a sale not too long ago and I bought a competition electronics prochrono digital, and one of their IR light kits. Worked the first try. Except for .44 Magnum 180gr JSP from Remington UMC... even at 15 feet there was so much muzzle blast that I couldn't get a reading ;). I was very pleased to find that my .45 Auto and .44 Mag reloads were right where I expected them to be in velocity.

Back
Top Bottom