Chronograph Recommendation

A friend was kind enough to lend me his CED M2 Chrono for a few weeks while I tested reloads in a variety of handguns and I really enjoyed quantifying my results not only downrange but also in velocities to correlate my load data to the book data. I'm strongly considering purchasing one to complement my Magnetospeed that I use on my rifles; he had mentioned that he wouldn't buy a different one if he had to buy one today. Is there any particular reason I shouldn't buy this? I do like how the electronics/sensitive bits are located behind the muzzle and it appears to have a generous window to shoot through.

Any takers?

If it means anything that model is the only one I have seen used at the chronograph stage at every USPSA major match I have attended ( about 10 matches in the past 6 years)

I have used Competition Electronics chronos for over 20 years with great results. The Pro Chrono model I am currently using is a great deal for less than $100 with all the options I need. It is also upgradable for those who want all of the options. Also CE has great customer service.

CED also makes an excellent product but I would not place any great emphasis on the fact that they are seen at lot of USPSA matches. They have a deal with the USPSA much like Budweiser is the "Official beer of the NFL".

I have used Competition Electronics chronos for over 20 years with great results. The Pro Chrono model I am currently using is a great deal for less than $100 with all the options I need. It is also upgradable for those who want all of the options. Also CE has great customer service.

CED also makes an excellent product but I would not place any great emphasis on the fact that they are seen at lot of USPSA matches. They have a deal with the USPSA much like Budweiser is the "Official beer of the NFL".

This is what I use also. It's been grazed a couple times by bullets (and so have the metal rods) and it still keeps working...kinda. The power switch doesn't work anymore, you have to connect/disconnect the battery to turn it off and on [laugh]

Anyway, I would recommend one of these. I have no experience with any other chrono.

This is what I use also. It's been grazed a couple times by bullets (and so have the metal rods) and it still keeps working...kinda. The power switch doesn't work anymore, you have to connect/disconnect the battery to turn it off and on [laugh]

Anyway, I would recommend one of these. I have no experience with any other chrono.

Thanks for reminding me. The metal rods supporting The screen may be this chrono's Achille's heel. They are strong enough to redirect a round into the chrono body. I replaced these rods with dowels painted fluorescent orange, easy fix. I haven't had a problem with either of the two chronos I have been using for the last 20 years or so. Call CE, their customer service is top notch.

PS My error. I don't believe the metal rods are strong enough to redirect the bullet into the chrono body, but they can transmit enough energy to damage it. Either way, wooden dowels are simple solution. I have been using mine for a couple of years with no problems. The orange rods really stand out.

Last edited:
Even if you put a bullet square through it, Competition Electronics will rebuilt it for half the cost of a new one.

My Chrono was found floating in my BIL's basement. Tried to power it up and it was dead as a doornail.

Sent it back to them and they replaced whatever was fried and charged me (I thinhk) $26, including shipping.

I'm a satisfied customer--and yes, Gammon's advice is good advice--replace the metal dowels with wooden ones. If you happen to hit them (and I have, twice, chronographing pistol loads), the wooden dowels transmit zero shock to the chrono housing.

$93 at Midway (and at Amazon.com). Rated 4.6 Stars with 262 reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me. The metal rods supporting The screen may be this chrono's Achille's heel. They are strong enough to redirect a round into the chrono body. I replaced these rods with dowels painted fluorescent orange, easy fix. I haven't had a problem with either of the two chronos I have been using for the last 20 years or so. Call CE, their customer service is top notch.

Good tip! Didn't think of that!

I need to call Chrony to get replacement rods and screens for mine... After this many years, the plastic pieces went brittle and are no longer usable.

Got a cheap tripod for mine. That way, if a stray round hits that IWGAF... NOT willing to risk my Manfroto tripod there.

If it means anything that model is the only one I have seen used at the chronograph stage at every USPSA major match I have attended ( about 10 matches in the past 6 years)
CED makes good stuff and is the de-facto standard. The reason you see them at all area matches is that CED donates two chronos to each match on the condition they are used as the match chrono.

The Labradar (http://www.buymylabradar.com) chronograph looks interesting but is about twice the price of the top of the line CED.

CED makes good stuff and is the de-facto standard. The reason you see them at all area matches is that CED donates two chronos to each match on the condition they are used as the match chrono.

The Labradar (http://www.buymylabradar.com) chronograph looks interesting but is about twice the price of the top of the line CED.

I agree with you Rob, sort of. CED is the "de facto standard" because they donate chronos to the USPSA, not necessarily because their machines are the best; i.e. the USPSA BOD has spoken. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of faith in the USPSA BOD.

I use a Pro Chrono as well with the Blue Tooth adaptor. As others have mentioned, I replaced the metal rods with 3/16 dowels. I've never hit them with a round but it's cheap insurance. I bought mine last spring and I have really enjoyed using it...

Back
Top Bottom