Chrome plating service?

chindogg

NES Member
I’m looking to get a slide chrome plated in black. I’ve been calling around and I’m having a difficult time finding somebody in the central mass area that will chrome plate a slide for me. Does anybody know of anyone that does this? I am looking for something like this1573244809357.jpeg
Thanks guys!

I've found that the best plating I've come across comes from places out of state. I have shipped stuff all the way to Kentucky where they did the good old three layer ( triple chrome plate).
The stuff I had done locally in Quincy was not even close to my expectations. There was a yellow tint to the chrome when I held a white sheet of paper next to it.
the said the EPA was really coming down on them and no longer did things the way they used to.

I heard there is a car restorer out in Lunenburg does quality work , but he took a long time to turn around parts.
Good luck

Check with Aotco Metal Finishing In Billerica. Years ago I made some frames for gold finishing some .mil stuff. Another machine shop I worked at sent a ton of medical device parts for chrome and I also referred the FD to them for chrome work on a restoration project. First class work. Been doing it a long time.

You just gave me an idea on my Colt Super 38. You suck! LOL

Edit:
There is always Greg Derr to ask. I will likely use him for my refinishing.

Maybe try J&B Metal Finishing in Westminster. They nickel-plated some stove parts for me years ago and did a very nice job. Don't know if they (can) do slides, and some web sites report them closed, but maybe give them a call to see (978-874-5944).

I call Derr. He told me the chrome would be soft and to go in another direction. What have some of you done besides Cerakote?
PVD. It hasn't worn off the inside of my fotay barrels and I hear it works great on slide$ and frame$.

Factory option. A few of my Infinity pistols (not all Fotay, there is a 38 super[comp] in there as well) came with a TiN gold color plated PVD barrel. The Super is a 4340 steel gun that is PVD coated in silver resembling stainless, but with a nicer finish. They are also offering DLC (diamond like carbon black PVD). The next time I'm at factory I am thinking about getting a high polish TiN 1911 in 9/40/45.

Last edited:
thats also not just the plating on that slide in that picture, there is a TON of prep work, Plating is only as good as the base it is coating, any blemish, scratch, or defect will show through

what finish was applied ? PVD is a process , right?
Tried them before I posted-They Don't Chrome plate

I call Derr. He told me the chrome would be soft and to go in another direction. What have some of you done besides Cerakote?
what did Derr recomend. He did my bosses pistol in hard chrome. Looks awesome. I know its not the look OP is after.
so many options out there now its crazy.

PVD is physical vapor deposition - mgic done in a vacuum chamber. A variety of finishes including TiN (Titanium Nitride, gold colored) and DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) can be applied.

sounds expensive for a one piece order....manufactures have the liberty of large quantities. I can see where not knowing the properties of the materials applied by PVD you can end up with a not so protective robust finish but it may look great. Like old school nickel plated guns....its a "soft" finish in the realm of finishes.

The PVD I am familiar with wears very well. Bullets going down the bbl don't even wear it off. Machining tools are often coated with TiN due to its hardness and wearing properties.

And yes, it is expen$ive. Very. We're talking hundreds for a handgun.

Reach out to Fords Custom Gun Refinishing out of FL. Or Precision Custom Plating and Engraving also in FL. Both very reputable companies in the gun industry.

I doubt you’ll find many in the northeast.

Back
Top Bottom