Chrome-plated AK-47 and a two-year federal prison sentence

As I said before, I don't advocate breaking the law.

That's the part I have a problem with here. Did he really get what he deserved? Why did he deserve it? There's a difference between facing the consequences and deserving them. If you think he deserves to be in prison for breaking these laws, then you don't oppose the laws. You can't condemn the crime if you condone the punishment.

Gotcha. I see what your are saying, and concede that is a very good point. Thanks for taking the time to explain your position in a reasonable way rather than resulting to insults.[wink]

If you think he deserves to be in prison for breaking these laws, then you don't oppose the laws.

Not necessarily. (Besides, telling people what they think is not really an effective debate technique).

I expect there are people who believe prison is appropriate for breaking even those laws they oppose, as they consider lack of subservience to the rule of law to be a grievous offense in and of itself.

I haven't read most of this thread but here is where I stand, not arguing anything, just my feelings:

The "laws" is what DAs and "legislating" judges decide them to be. When AG says that it's not "illegal to be illegal", this state (and most of the country) has reached the point when "laws" are just BS, they no longer represent what sane society feels should be punished, never mind that our society is mostly ****ing sheep and robots who exchange their brains and conscience for .gov handouts.

This said, I follow laws no matter how shitty they are and I don't advocate breaking them. In this case, if I was on the jury, my vote would be against any punishment. In my eyes, he is not guilty of anything.

Not necessarily. (Besides, telling people what they think is not really an effective debate technique).

You're right, of course. Sometimes, I get a little too passionate about this subject for my own good. Luckily, Terminator understands that I was attacking his position and not him personally. I will keep this in mind for future discussions, though.

You're right, of course. Sometimes, I get a little too passionate about this subject for my own good. Luckily, Terminator understands that I was attacking his position and not him personally. I will keep this in mind for future discussions, though.

You're right, I didn't take it personally at all because of the intelligent way you explained your position. I wish more people on here would learn to debate in this manner because other methods that employ name calling and crap like that only tends to make people feel that the guy is just an a$$hole and the point gets lost. When I posted that he "got what he deserved" it was not to state that I personally agree with the law, but only that I felt he "deserved" the given punishment based on the fact that he knew the law as it exists and openly chose to roll the dice. That was my point. I do understand yours as well, though.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom