Christmas Present to Yourself

asp

NES Member
Here's what I treated myself to. It's a S&W 586,no dash, no M. As soon as I saw it in the display case I had a bad feeling it was coming home with me. I didn't know a lot about the model, but I knew it is an 'older' gun in pristine condition. Further investigation, and a little help from Pilgrim, shows that it was made between Oct and Dec 1982. There's not an idiot-mark on it [grin], yet [sad2]. Most 586s that I've seen have a ramped front sight with a red/orange insert but this one has an all-black blade-style (Patridge?) front sight. I looked into the front sight detail a bit further and it seems like some of the early ones came this way. I don't think it's had the firing pin bushing replaced, but I'm not positive. Need to look into that a bit more. I think I did pretty well, at $550. Still haven't told my girlfriend about it...

IMAG0890.jpg

All shots with .38spl, 158gr LSWC over 3.3gr Bullseye (cast and loaded by yours truly)

This is my best 6 shot group, 2 hands, single action, 7 yards. Give me a break, I threw one- it was cold. SA is nothing short of fantastic. It's not so much squeezing the trigger, it's more like thinking about squeezing the trigger.
IMAG0886.jpg

Double action, also 2 hands, 7 yards. I threw 2 but I know it was me and not the gun. Like I said, it was cold and windy.
IMAG0884.jpg

So, what did you get for yourself?

NICE!!!! Merry Christmas to you! I haven't picked up anything for me just yet, but if I happen to run into a Saiga 12 for a decent price it'll be coming home with me... Um, but not going to make it under the tree. Have to go all Mission Impossible as I bring it into the house......

[laugh][wink]

Nice present.

I am moving on Sat. If I do not find the Benchmade knife, I lost, I will be buying myself another for Christmas.

Nice, a revolver is on the list, and eventually I'll get one, but I have a lot more others things to get first. If my ex gives me my legal court 'present', then I'll be getting an AR I think. :)

Just bought myself a used 1911 R1. My girlfriend bought herself a Charter Arms Shamrock in 38spl. Gonna hit the range tomorrow to use our presents.

Just bought this guy for myself last night. I can't wait to take it to the range :)
uploadfromtaptalk1354893829616.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome gun! I'm sure you'll love it. S&W revolvers are sweet. I just picked up a 10/22 as a gift to myself [smile]

Nice SR1911. Lucky!

I'll be getting a 30 rifle safe for Christmas! I will fill that up in no time. Dicks has pretty good deals and delivery so I'll get one from them. The safe I have now is too small and the walls are too thin. Also my parents want to get me a Tanneau bed cover for my Frontier. And hopefully get a new CCW before Christmas! I'm pumped.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Probably get myself an Aimpoint PRO. Been wanting one for a while.

Oh, and underpants. It isn't Christmas without underpants.

I'll be getting a 30 rifle safe for Christmas! I will fill that up in no time. Dicks has pretty good deals and delivery so I'll get one from them. The safe I have now is too small and the walls are too thin. Also my parents want to get me a Tanneau bed cover for my Frontier. And hopefully get a new CCW before Christmas! I'm pumped.

Very nice. I got a great deal from them. Delivery was good, but one of the day laborers looked shady.

I need to come up with some ideas for truck stuff people can buy me. I suppose I can just ask for *moar truck*.

Nice, been getting back into revolvers myself. If I can find one at a reasonable price I want to gift myself a S&W Carry Comp .44 mag.

I hope I have something firearms related under the tree. 10/22 or ammo would be nice.

If all that falls through, the recurve bow I'm getting ready to build might be a nice back-up plan(wish me luck, never done this before)

(Patridge?)

A patridge sight has a vertical rear edge (like yours) and sometimes a gold colored 'BB' like thing mounted in the vertical part.

What do you mean by no M ?

BTW, nice choice. They really do call to you don't they. I'm sure you'll have many more beore long.

Last edited:
A patridge sight has a vertical rear edge (like yours) and sometimes a gold colored 'BB' like thing mounted in the vertical part.

What do you mean by no M ?

BTW, nice choice. They really do call to you don't they. I'm sure you'll have many more beore long.
No sign of a gold colored sphere in/on my sight, or of anything having broken off in a present life, but I guess it's safe to call this one of those.

From my brief research, there was an issue with the early models jamming when firing full power 357 mag loads. The primer flowed back between the firing pin and firing pin bushing. I read that they stamped models that had been repaired with a M or a 2 after the SN. Mine has neither stamp.

Thanks. Yes, my wallet is running scared now. (As if it wasn't before!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom