Christchurch mosque shootings: Police Minister Stuart Nash told 'gaps' in gun laws impossible to pol

Reptile

NES Member
A number of gaps in the gun laws mean the legislation was "difficult or unable" to be enforced, police told Minister Stuart Nash.
Gaping holes in gun laws mean the chances of police discovering a firearms owner breaking the law was "negligible", according to a briefing to Police Minister Stuart Nash.

One example was an A-category licence holder legally purchasing a semi-automatic and converting the weapon into a Military Style Semi Automatic (MSSA) by slotting in a high capacity magazine - exactly what the alleged Christchurch terrorist did.

It's illegal to do so but the sale of high capacity magazines - some of which can hold 100 rounds - is unregulated.

The November 2018 police briefing, obtained under the Official Information Act, was responding to questions from Police Minister Stuart Nash who was considering amendments to the Arms Act.

Nash queried whether police were putting enough resources into enforcement of current obligations of licence holders.

"It is not solely a question of resourcing, though the gap between revenue from the licensing and permitting regime and the costs of managing that regime is large and growing," the report said.

"Beyond resource limitations, there are gaps in the legislative system that make the system difficult or unable to be enforced."

As well as pointing out the lack of regulation on MSSA parts, such as high capacity magazines, police noted several other loopholes.

Continues...

Christchurch mosque shootings: Police Minister Stuart Nash told 'gaps' in gun laws impossible to police

Am I to understand correctly from this article that if I take a regular semi-auto rifle and stick a high capacity mag in it, I now have a Military Style Semi Automatic one???

Ugh, just hope this logic doesn’t come here (to the degree it hasn’t)

I wonder how the killer a non-citizen received a license to purchase all those weapons. Or is New Zealand one of those countries where one can purchase a firearm without a license but the license is needed to carry? On a fundamental level did the guy really break NZ laws?

Am I to understand correctly from this article that if I take a regular semi-auto rifle and stick a high capacity mag in it, I now have a Military Style Semi Automatic one???

I don’t know exactly (IANANZL), but I read somewhere that their legal test for MSSA is sorta like ours for AW, though with one Killy feature rather than two. And that the usual mag limit there is seven rounds. The difference, I think, is an additional endorsement to the possession license.

NZ is, I think, about to discover the same truth that our government might confront one day: regulating sales and ownership is one thing, but unringing the bell and doing it retroactively? Nup. There are millions of unaccounted for guns down there the government won’t be able to reckon with even if they tighten the laws.

Just like here.

MSSA will be the new battle cry for a ban

Meh we've been hearing Military Style this and that for a while now. Fully semi automatic, assault this and that, waiting on racist weapon or something along those lines. Whats the difference at this point. I dont really see us losing any ground over a new catch phrase.

One example was an A-category licence holder legally purchasing a semi-automatic and converting the weapon into a Military Style Semi Automatic (MSSA) by slotting in a high capacity magazine - exactly what the alleged Christchurch terrorist did.

What did I just read ?
Is that a Nancy Pelosi , thing that goes up statement ?

NEW ZEALAND GUN OWNERS ARE VOLUNTARILY HANDING OVER SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES TO POLICE: 'WE DON'T NEED THESE IN OUR COUNTRY'
After New Zealand attack, gun owners are voluntarily handing over their weapons

Yes, all three of them turned them in... Isn’t that enough?

“What is known is that Mr. Tarrant was a licensed gun owner and member of the Bruce Rifle Club. He appeared to already have shooting skills when he joined in February 2018 and he typically went to the range by himself, said Mr. Williams, the club’s vice president.

New Zealand Asks What It Could Have Done Differently as Portrait of Shooting Suspect Emerges
New Zealand Asks What It Could Have Done Differently as Portrait of Shooting Suspect Emerges

The club has come under criticism from a former member of the New Zealand military named Pete Breidahl, who said he reported it to the police in 2017 after visiting in November that year. He said he had had concerns about the mental stability of the members and the way they handled firearms. “They wore cammo around the range, like they were living some military base fantasy,” Mr. Breidahl said in an interview on Monday.”

Uh-oh - gotta hide the camo gear. Maybe hang it in the woods...

Last edited:
If they're pro-2A,
will they change their name?
Not sure on their 2a views, but they did use a squirt gun to squirt sake into my mouth, so hopefully!! I’m sure ‘Masa’ means something in Japanese??

NEW ZEALAND GUN OWNERS ARE VOLUNTARILY HANDING OVER SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES TO POLICE: 'WE DON'T NEED THESE IN OUR COUNTRY'
After New Zealand attack, gun owners are voluntarily handing over their weapons

Yes, all three of them turned them in... Isn’t that enough?

“What is known is that Mr. Tarrant was a licensed gun owner and member of the Bruce Rifle Club. He appeared to already have shooting skills when he joined in February 2018 and he typically went to the range by himself, said Mr. Williams, the club’s vice president.

The club has come under criticism from a former member of the New Zealand military named Pete Breidahl, who said he reported it to the police in 2017 after visiting in November that year. He said he had had concerns about the mental stability of the members and the way they handled firearms. “They wore cammo around the range, like they were living some military base fantasy,” Mr. Breidahl said in an interview on Monday.”

Uh-oh - gotta hide the camo gear. Maybe hang it in the woods...
People like Mr. Breidahl are whats completely wrong. Mr. Breidahl is the mentally ill person here. Camo, seriously because a person wears camo. STFU

But mr. Briedahl is a member of the NZ military just like our Seth Moulton. He knows best.
He knows shit. He knows how to puke out false statements to the idiots who know nothing about freedom and liberty. They are the cancer that is destroying this country and NZ etc... Seth and company should be removed from office for breaking this:

Their oath:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Last edited:
He knows shit. He knows how to puke out false statements to the idiots who know nothing about freedom and liberty. They are the cancer that is destroying this country and NZ etc... Seth and company should be removed from office for breaking this:

Their oath:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Most politicians should be fired for violating their oath. Today is just a formality which means nothing

New Zealand is going to find out what we have known for years... restrictive gun laws only affect law-abiding gun owners. The criminals and the crazies will always find a way around them.

Back
Top Bottom