Chris Kyle's Murder is Boggling

UFO

Caught the second half of American Sniper on TV and got sucked into watching it, again. Afterwards, I found myself googling what happened that awful day at the range. (Yes, I did search NES before posting this).
No tin hat stuff intended, but it just doesn't add up.
  • On the way to the range, Kyle and Littlefield exchange texts that Routh is"nuts" and "watch my six".
  • Routh shoots both of them dead, apparently, after they have turned their back on him and gone down range to hang targets.
  • The victims are shot with two different pistols.
So Routh is an expert shot, and ambidextrous, able to wield two guns and get both shots off and on target? At what distance? Or he is not ambidextrous and had time to shoot one, drop the gun, pick up the other, get a site picture and pull the trigger before the second victim can react? I don't turn my back on anyone at the range and I cant believe neither victim could clear the holster and were felled with one shot each from two different guns.

Caught the second half of American Sniper on TV and got sucked into watching it, again. Afterwards, I found myself googling what happened that awful day at the range. (Yes, I did search NES before posting this).
  • On the way to the range, Kyle and Littlefield exchange texts that Routh is"nuts" and "watch my six".
  • Routh shoots both of them dead, apparently, after they have turned their back on him and gone down range to hang targets.
So Routh is an expert shot, and ambidextrous, able to wield two guns and get both shots off and on target? At what distance? Or he is not ambidextrous and had time to shoot one, drop the gun, pick up the other, get a site picture and pull the trigger before the second victim can react? I don't turn my back on anyone at the range and I cant believe neither victim could clear the holster and were felled with one shot each from two different guns.
Ok, what are you suggesting happened?

There was a thread on this. Audio was not allowed to be broadcast at the time of the trial so the sensationalism of it was lost in the news cycle. Texas covered it closely as you can imagine. There are videos out there showing different edits of this.

Cued up to the prosecutions theory. Of course the headline is "shot in the back"; watch further. As stated above we will never know.

If you dont turn your back on anyone at the range how do you hang steel or change targets if there are other shooters on the range? Do you make everyone go downrange with you even other people not in your group or do you walk downrange backwards? This is a serious question.

Last edited:
If you dont turn your back on anyone at the range how do you hang steel or change targets if there are other shooters on the range? Do you make everyone go downrange with you even other people not in your group or do you walk downrange backwards? This is a serious question.

Not at outdoor ranges much. When I am, we are usually all walking downrange together to tape up.

Ok, what are you suggesting happened?

Not suggesting. Just so flabbergasted by this guy taking out two combat veterans that I figured someone might have more information as to how it could happen. If I wanted to push a conspiracy angle, I'd bring up that that the LEO who arrested Routh committed suicide.

Last edited:
There was a thread on this. Audio was not allowed to be broadcast at the time of the trial so the sensationalism of it was lost in the news cycle. Texas covered it closely as you can imagine. There are videos out there showing different edits of this.

Cued up to the prosecutions theory. Of course the headline is "shot in the back"; watch further. As stated above we will never know.

Thank you, this helps understand a bit more.

You can also speculate someone or something wanted him gone.

That.

Because audio was not allowed, there was a confessed killer and a quick verdict there was less investigative journalism into the shooting than the alleged PTSD or Mental Illness as the reason for the murders. It is hard to get a soundbite out of this.

I'm done.

Matt

[wave] Texas News Service posted the trial after the audio ban expired. Much more at their YouTube channel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWgKJonp7Jg

Last edited:
What I don’t get is if both of them thought Routh was nuts why leave him alone at the table with guns?
Also, why even go to the range?

Chris Kyle had been working with veterans of all disabilities before this encounter. Most of that was taking them to the range and just doing something with them so they felt valued, and not a burden to someone else. He probably thought he would be doing the same for this s**tbag.

Chris Kyle had been working with veterans of all disabilities before this encounter. Most of that was taking them to the range and just doing something with them so they felt valued, and not a burden to someone else. He probably thought he would be doing the same for this s**tbag.

I can understand that. But specifically for this guy whom they acknowledge was nuts why be so laid back with safety. Have the nutball walk with them or leave one guy with him.

Not suggesting. Just so flabbergasted by this guy taking out two combat veterans that I figured someone might have more information as to how it could happen. If I wanted to push a conspiracy angle, I'd bring up that that the LEO who arrested Routh committed suicide.
Routh was a combat veteran too with severe PTSD. I did not realize the cop commuted suicide. It is an absolute tragedy that this happened. With all the Special Operators out there with YouTube channels can you imagine Chis Kyles?...I bet it would be awesome.

I have a trusted friend stay at the line.

If you can't do that, borrow at least $20 from each person that's staying behind....if you're capped the money will be tied up as evidence, or more likely, "vanish" from the PD's evidence room.

I can understand that. But specifically for this guy whom they acknowledge was nuts why be so laid back with safety. Have the nutball walk with them or leave one guy with him.

Yeah - I don’t disagree with you at all. Maybe Chris felt more at ease after talking to him or maybe Chris thought he could react if he heard a gunshot. I don’t know much about what happened, but I do know it‘s a tragedy and that it’s going to be very interesting to see if/when appeals and the like are filed in the future. I can’t imagine being his wife or kids and having to endure more trials because of that guy.

EDIT - just read that prosecutors didn’t push for the death penalty, so hopefully there will be no appeals and Chris’s wife and kids don’t have to go through that again.

I hear you. It does not add up. They knew he wasn't right. So the best course of action was to take him to the gun range? There was no other spot they could have gone? Then while there they leave their guns with him as they go down range knowing this information. Not saying they couldn't have just had a lapse in judgement but just seems odd given the details we have.

An excellent question.
Some ranges have Range Officers watching over the operations of the firing line. At others it's an "All-skate", meaning no organization at all and 'Gentleman's Rules' apply.
That means you stay in communications with all other shooters on the line at all times.
Words like "Range is Hot", "Range is Cold", "Changing Targets" are all yelled loud enough that all can hear and no movements are made until all shooters acknowledge commands/requests.

I ALWAYS clear my weapon (remove mag, empty chamber) and stand a few feet behind my weapon when someone goes downrange. It's a Common Courtesy.
Many younger or inexperienced shooters will listen to range commands if they are given loudly and clearly, and without an attitude. Hell, some even start using them themselves...

Either way, if you are ever on a range and don't feel safe with those around you... leave.

There will come a day when "strange folks" will start showing up at ranges with malice in mind. Or, maybe they just really want an AR15 and don't care how they get one...

Situational Awareness is a lifesaver.
~Enbloc

An excellent question.
Some ranges have Range Officers watching over the operations of the firing line. At others it's an "All-skate", meaning no organization at all and 'Gentleman's Rules' apply.
That means you stay in communications with all other shooters on the line at all times.
Words like "Range is Hot", "Range is Cold", "Changing Targets" are all yelled loud enough that all can hear and no movements are made until all shooters acknowledge commands/requests.

I ALWAYS clear my weapon (remove mag, empty chamber) and stand a few feet behind my weapon when someone goes downrange. It's a Common Courtesy.
Many younger or inexperienced shooters will listen to range commands if they are given loudly and clearly, and without an attitude. Hell, some even start using them themselves...

Either way, if you are ever on a range and don't feel safe with those around you... leave.

There will come a day when "strange folks" will start showing up at ranges with malice in mind. Or, maybe they just really want an AR15 and don't care how they get one...

Situational Awareness is a lifesaver.
~Enbloc
But you are still turning your back on those people when walking down range.

Don’t know if this is what happened: Alvin York faced a squad of charging krauts after he emptied his rifle, he took his 1911 out and start shooting the rear ones first. He explained it’s a trick he learned from hunting, that the ones running ahead don’t know their buddies were being dropped.

Suppose it’s a big enough gun range, there’d always be gunshots going off in close proximity, and whoever walk affront might not be alerted to the fact that he was shot at.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom