• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Choosing new Rifle

Long story short, My good friend made High Master (Rifle) this year and just missed making the Presidents 100. He has been teaching me to reload and shoot and I'm going to take the plunge for a nice high power rifle. God I wish someone would talk me out of it! I'm looking at the GA Precision Crusader with a Nightforce scope. I may or may not end up shooting competition but at least I'll have a capable rifle and optic. Does anyone have any recommendations or even better yet talk me out of it? I was going to by a 50BMG but after shooting one I realize I'll most likely not shoot it much and will re-appropriate the funds to this rifle. I don't usually ask for guidance on an Internet forum but figured I would tap this valuable resource at my own peril.

Thanks!

I'd just jump in and shoot the matches. You already have someone to pal around with and show you the ropes. Build a rifle for the game instead of getting a rifle, and then realizing you would be better served by a different rifle. I think you will be better served, shoot better scores, and get more shooting out of a purpose built comp. rifle. keep your eyes peeled on nationalmatch.us and longrange.com, people are always selling nice rigs for cheap money.

B

EDIT: I have a tac./parctical/sniper that I almost never shoot. I'm too busy shooting matches with my comp. guns.

2nd Edit: Someone pointed out that longrange.com is not the correct name: http://www.usrifleteams.com/

Last edited:
If have the dough to drop on a GAP rifle, do it. Its a hell of a rifle , you won't be able to harness the power of that pig.

What about FNH SPR ? Good gun not really custom like gap but still a great rifle. Check out YouTube of thunder valley ranch they have a video of some guns goin yard with them.

Long story short, My good friend made High Master (Rifle) this year and just missed making the Presidents 100. He has been teaching me to reload and shoot and I'm going to take the plunge for a nice high power rifle. God I wish someone would talk me out of it! I'm looking at the GA Precision Crusader with a Nightforce scope. I may or may not end up shooting competition but at least I'll have a capable rifle and optic. Does anyone have any recommendations or even better yet talk me out of it? I was going to by a 50BMG but after shooting one I realize I'll most likely not shoot it much and will re-appropriate the funds to this rifle. I don't usually ask for guidance on an Internet forum but figured I would tap this valuable resource at my own peril.

Thanks!

Where does your friend shoot? I thought I knew pretty much everyone from MA who was at Perry.

Thanks for the responses. I would not be comfortable identifying him without asking him first but it is not Jasper. I'll show him this thread later this week and he can PM or comment if he likes, he is not a member here but does shoot all the rifle matches. Still reading and debating but I'm leaning towards just ordering one.

Thanks!

I bet it's Jasper. He just missed the cut this year.

B

That would have been my guess too, but I already knew it wasn't him. [grin]

Anyway, the rifle you use will depend on the type of competition you're interested in. Sounds like you're talking about F class.

Last edited:
I think $4000 clams for one is a lot of money and that does not include the scope or the bipod. You could have a tube gun built with a custom action for about $3000.

B

EDIT: You don't see it because it's built in, but a lot of that total price for that rifle is tax for the manufacture of the whole rifle. If you buy an action you only pay the tax on the price of the action.

I also inclueded an adjustable cheekpiece in that, I can't imagine a rifle these days without one.

Last edited:
yep...this thread had me confused.

GAP builds one HELL of a rifle, theres no arguing that...but theres a LOT more that goes into a good long-range rig than money invested. i'll post up a build thread when I finish my Remington 700. stock work is almost done (all DIY), and the first batch of testing (with Federal GMM) yielded 1/4-3/8MOA out to 200yards. total cost (not including glass) will be under $1500.

GAP will tell you they are getting the same accuracy out of a rebarreled and trued Remington 700 action vs a custom action. I would go that route and save a few bucks.

GAP will tell you they are getting the same accuracy out of a rebarreled and trued Remington 700 action vs a custom action. I would go that route and save a few bucks.

that would explain why they're offering the Templar actions now [rolleyes]

accuracy has WAY more to do with the barrel/ammunition that it does the action. If you're going all out on a custom rifle, get a custom action. If you're buying an off-the-shelf rifle to tinker with on your own (like I am), get a Remington and build it up as you see fit.

a Crusader is what... $4k? the "Upgrade" for the Templar action is an extra $200 or so? Kind of stupid to cheap out at that point, isn't it?

just checked again. the Crusader comes with a Templar. they don't even offer a remington as an option

only reason they're still wrenching on Remington actions is because people send them complete guns to rebuild.

Last edited:
that would explain why they're offering the Templar actions now [rolleyes]

accuracy has WAY more to do with the barrel/ammunition that it does the action. If you're going all out on a custom rifle, get a custom action. If you're buying an off-the-shelf rifle to tinker with on your own (like I am), get a Remington and build it up as you see fit.

a Crusader is what... $4k? the "Upgrade" for the Templar action is an extra $200 or so? Kind of stupid to cheap out at that point, isn't it?

just checked again. the Crusader comes with a Templar. they don't even offer a remington as an option

only reason they're still wrenching on Remington actions is because people send them complete guns to rebuild.

When I ordered Surgeon action with Bartlein barel from GAP I was given the option to send them a Rem action to be trued at a savings of almost a $1000. They guarantee 1/2 moa on both options. There Gladius, Rock, and Base Custom rifles are all built on a trued Rem action.

Back
Top Bottom