• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Choosing firearm insurance

usp45ct

NES Member
Looking for firearm insurance. Any recommendation on who to go with? I know there are independent companies outside of my regular home owners that specialize in firearms. Pretty sure, but I will verify, my homeowners will not cover my "collection."

Looking for firearm insurance. Any recommendation on who to go with? I know there are independent companies outside of my regular home owners that specialize in firearms. Pretty sure, but I will verify, my homeowners will not cover my "collection."

Watching this thread with baited breath

- - - Updated - - -

Don't trust them to do right by me...but I am willing to listen to what they have and what protection they offer that they can't back out of when I file a claim

Watching this thread with baited breath

- - - Updated - - -

Don't trust them to do right by me...but I am willing to listen to what they have and what protection they offer that they can't back out of when I file a claim

I think it is more NRA friendly companies....I wouldn't link my gun insurance to my homeowners...at least not in Mass....

I have USAA for homeowners and auto. They will do an additional rider for firearms. They also beat Progressive on the insurance price. They are great to deal with.

FYI be sure to look very closely at how much they will cover each firearm. for example, a $50k policy may only cover $400 per firearm, so if you have a $2000 rifle stolen you are getting max $400.

Most policies I have seen require anything over $X value to be scheduled, meaning it either needs to be appraised or have proof of purchase. However if you add enough scheduled items to the policy, expect the premium to increase.

the NRA sponsored insurance is a good example of crap....basically they advertise something like $40,000 policy but if you look closely it's only useful if you own a safe full of hi-points and ravens.

My wife works in insurance. She used to work for Eastern and I asked if she knew Jack Richardson. FWIW she said "he is a very nice man."

Either way I asked about insuring my firearms and she said "sure, no problem. How much did you pay for them."

An small argument followed shortly after that.

Yes they would have to be scheduled the last time I asked. It wasn't cheap but then neither is the collection. Thankfully my wife doesn't care.

My wife works in insurance. She used to work for Eastern and I asked if she knew Jack Richardson. FWIW she said "he is a very nice man."

Either way I asked about insuring my firearms and she said "sure, no problem. How much did you pay for them."

An small argument followed shortly after that.

[laugh2]Wow, talk about a catch-22! That's when all of those $300 guns bite you in the ass![laugh]

Coincidentally, I just asked my agent about a firearms rider this week. He pretty much said outright to forget about Homeowners riders and to pursue a directed policy.
Eastern and Commerce, BTW

If your father or mother or wife's same is you can get on it. I don't know for sure if they have to be a veteran or just served in general. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows.

Sadly it isn't that simple. If the applicant isn't a Vet, then the parent must have been a customer for their children to qualify for USAA. Back when my Father (and FIL) served (WWII), USAA was strictly for officers and he was enlisted. He's long since deceased prior to USAA changing their requirements to allow enlisted to apply, thus we aren't eligible and never will be. Everything I hear and read, USAA is awesome if you qualify.

OP i have a policy with nationwide dedicated to firearms, NFA items, and all the other goodies. decent rate and i got a discount bundling home and auto with it as well.

Back
Top Bottom