Choosing a revolver for small hands

GF is quite petite and had no problem shooting the GP100. If pushed to choose between that and the Shield 9mm, the SW won hands down. Honestly, she would choose any semi over a revolver.

Another recommendation for a S&W Model 10 and a box of Wad Cutters. My 9 and 11 year old granddaughters shoot mine all the time and they love it.

Recently I spend some time on the range with a Ruger LCR in 9mm. I was impressed with it. You might want to check them out.

I think the ideal would be a mid to large barrel (helps absorb recoil) with a small grip that she can get her hands around (and reach the trigger properly). If you get a 357 you can also shoot 38's from it and there's less recoil. Then if you want to carry, you can load it with the 357s.

When she is picking up guns in the store have her do this (I can't tell you how many people, especially women, mess this up):
Have her take a 1 handed grip, arm straight out, gun, wrist, elbow, shoulder all lined up. And have her see if she can press the trigger CORRECTLY. Keep an eye that she does not shift her grip. Doing this 1 handed she is less likely to move her grip. You would be amazed how many people will unconsciously move their strong hand to reach the trigger when using a 2 handed grip. This not only affects their aim but their ability to control the recoil. I have taught many women to shoot and this is the first step I have figured out to make sure they get a gun that fits THEM.

Don't write off smith j-frames wholesale because of their size. They seem to have a reputation for heavy recoil. But this depends on the specific model and what you're running through it. There is a seemingly endless number of smith & wesson j-frames. An airweight/scandium frame can weigh about half as much as a steel frame and may not be fun to shoot at the range. I have a 649, which is a steel frame with a 2" barrel. With .38 spl it has no more recoil than my full size M&P9. Shooting single action it is dead on accurate.

IMO a model 60 with a 3" barrel would be fun little range gun. It's also small enough to carry if you feel so inclined.

I have no experience with the .22 j-frames, but I would imagine a stainless model like a 63 would have very little recoil and be more than manageable for someone with smaller hands.

Another vote for a model 60 with a 3" barrel. My wife has tiny hands and hogs it when we go to the range. The 3" barrel gives a good sight radius for range work, and it has enough mass that shooting 38's is comfortable for a long range session. It'll do 357s too if you feel so inclined, but those are stout.

SP101 with a 3" inch barrel won't have as nice a trigger, but will have more mass and less recoil, and will probably be a good $100 cheaper. It's another good option.

Hmmm I have small hands as well, but I have from my first exposure preferred a gun with a large grip. I I was fortunate in that my FAL had brought... geesh 10 or so handguns for me to shoot. He was sure that I'd prefer the state police revolver, I shot it it meh and didn't touch it again after the Colt Python. That thing made me so freekin happy from the get go, that I still dream (25 yrs later) of owning one of my own. I carry a G30 or 17 depending on my clothing and perceived needs. Also have a teenie tiny seacamp for when I have to play dress up.

Long and short of my rant is, you might be surprised at what your wife may find comfortable.

S&W model 63 ( it's a 22 J frame)

+1 on the Model 63. My original range mentor started the wife and I on this gun. I wish I had one now for training and introduction to the range.
Also + one on the recommendation to start with 22 LR and work up to more recoil. (I can't figure out multiple quotes here).

Back
Top Bottom