Choosing a lower

Looking for 7075, not concerned about billet v forged, want a flared mag well however not one that interferes with the grip.

Any suggestions or other things I should be looking for?

not a suggestion, but a question - what do you mean by flared mag well that interferes with the grip?

I would make sure you get a type 3 hard anodized coating and a low shelf. Other than that, I don't think it much matters.

I would make sure you get a type 3 hard anodized coating and a low shelf. Other than that, I don't think it much matters.

99% percent of lowers are the same quality as any other or are in fact the same lower with a different name.
I could give two shits about alloy and anodize type.
If I was gonna buy another lower I just look at the price and it's not cast which I haven't seen one in a long time.
Low shelf is nice if you know why you want one ;) .

The reason I bring it up is because the finish is the single most important quality for me. This spring I have acquired four new lowers in addition to the Colt 6920 that I had. I can tell you that there is a wide variation in the quality of finish from one mfg to the next but the machining is generally the same. One of my "off brand" lowers scratched easily and flaked off on the pin hole.

Type 3 anodizing makes a difference with how rugged the finish is.

Ben: We've all seen how "pretty" your builds are so we know you don't care about "finish"... [rofl]

The reason I bring it up is because the finish is the single most important quality for me. This spring I have acquired four new lowers in addition to the Colt 6920 that I had. I can tell you that there is a wide variation in the quality of finish from one mfg to the next but the machining is generally the same. One of my "off brand" lowers scratched easily and flaked off on the pin hole.

Type 3 anodizing makes a difference with how rugged the finish is.

Ben: We've all seen how "pretty" your builds are so we know you don't care about "finish"... [rofl]

what flaked off?
The color in anodizing is a dye step you do before you boil to seal it .

Get this kit http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=852
It comes everything with everything you need minus a stock and it has some nice features.
IMG_20141015_103650_zpsctdx9zey.jpg

The finish around the takedown pin holes. You can tell by looking and handling the lower that the finish on the Arfcom lower is more fragile compared to my Spikes, Colt, or CMMG lowers. I don't have the Bushmaster lower in hand so I can't compare that one.

I liked the Arfcom boltface logo and it was in the same price range so I picked it up but I'm not happy with the finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Get this kit http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=852
It comes everything with everything you need minus a stock and it has some nice features.
IMG_20141015_103650_zpsctdx9zey.jpg

Yeah... $100 worth of parts for $199. Pass: I'm not a billet fan. At all.

Im sorrry i meant that the rear of the lower is not beavertail friendly, i believe i've read several that do not take magpul grips for examlpe

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorrry i meant that the rear of the lower is not beavertail friendly, i believe i've read several that do not take magpul grips for examlpe

$0.02 this is what I would do:

Spikes lower for $90
DPMS parts kit $50
BCM butstock kit $67

Total cost with shipping $215 which puts you above the $200 billet kit above so I'm an idiot. Oh well.

Mega is good shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought BEAVERTAILS had to do with .45's or MILEY CYRUS ........[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

He's talking about billet lowers with extreme fancy BS that get in the way of some grips. Very few billet lowers are that bad where it's a problem.

IMHO a lower is a lower. I used a Seekins Precision forged lower on my last build. I normally don't really care who makes the lower as long as its forged and not plastic. I'm not paying double for a billet lower. That's like wiping your ass with money and setting it on fire. Spend your money on your upper. That's where the magic happens.

Dont know if you can build one but have you considered a 80% lower ?

Disreguard if your state law does not allow possession of a self built ar lower, well the last 20% that is.

OP expressed an interest in a flared magwell, do 80% lowers offer that? Honest question as I've never been interested in 80% lowers.

Back
Top Bottom