• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Choose your jeans thoughtfully

Last I had heard of them the owner/CEO/Levi's great-great-great grandson/whoever was telling people to not wash their jeans. Just wear them until theyre too scuzzy, throw them away and then go out and buy a replacement pair I assume. (how convenient) All in the name of saving the environment some how. (of course)

Who buys Levi's now anyway? I can get at least 2 pairs of different brand pants for the same money, they last just as long or longer and they fit better. I left the Levi train about 20 years ago.
Im still on the Levi train mostly due to inertia. What are some options for a skinny,6 foot, 48 year old guy with little to no ass? The weight of their material has dropped drastically over the years. Its gotta be half of what it was in the 90's.

Im still on the Levi train mostly due to inertia. What are some options for a skinny,6 foot, 48 year old guy with little to no ass? The weight of their material has dropped drastically over the years. Its gotta be half of what it was in the 90's.
Lee or Wrangler has to have something.

Jeans suck. If they get wet they stay wet forever, they're either too loose or too tight , and they hold dirt like a sponge.
Carhartt carpenter pants for me. Light ones in the summer, heavy weight ones when it's cold.
I also like Duluth fire hose pants, especially the built-in pocket holster.
For working I agree. They don’t breath at all either.
For regular day to day they are great. Durable, hide minor stains, and good quality (and darker wash) ones can be dressed up a tad if needed.

Haven't bought Levis since the 90's. Switched over to regular fit Wrangler back then and just stayed with them. In my mid 50's and the only time outside of shorts that I don't wear jeans is when we hold drills or participate in a parade. I just feel wrong if I'm wearing something else. Last year just on a whim for nostalgia I picked up a pair of Levis and wished I didn't waste my money. They are NOT the Levis of days gone by. I can't explain it but they almost made me feel like I was wearing "mom jeans". I hated the things and they quickly got tossed into a clothing drop box. I'll stick with Wranglers any day.

I haven't bought a pair of.Levis in years. Price based long before it was a 2A reason.

Currently I have a few pairs of Lee, and some Van Husen Jean's that I ought for about $7 on sale at the outlets. Nice heavy material, but the pockets dont.seem to hold up

Sorry if this is vague, but the details have slipped my mind over the years...
A guy I used to hang with in socal ran a clothing business, worked out of the garment district in LA, which I believe is pretty much ground zero for the homeless problem out there, but anyway....
This was about 20 years ago, just after our buddy Bill Clinton gave everything up like a prom night virgin with NAFTA and China.
He went on at length one day about clothing, where the shit is made, different brands, etc...
What stuck with me was that he said Levis used to have the best denim that people all over the world would hold in high regard, and they had changed (at that time it was recent changes) and he said their stuff at that point was shit, and they were headed for decline.

Carhartts. They make good blue jeans as well as the heavy double-knee work jeans. Been wearing both kinds for years. Sierra Trading Post has them for good prices.

Back
Top Bottom