Chocolate Lab

I saw an interesting post about a guy who's Black Lab was scared of his guns. I was actually thinking about this the other day. I am getting a Chocolate Lab in 4 weeks (He is 4 weeks old on Thursday) Will definitely introduce him while he is young. Bring them out and clean them around him, ect. I do have a few questions though. Any ideas on a good age to bring him to the range? I would like to bring him around so he gets used to the noises, A few months ago a guy had a 12 week old Shepard at my range and he seemed fine. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yes I know... This thread is unless without pictures so..... NES Meet Gus!

2cylet4.jpg

256wk9f.jpg

any other ideas from Lab owners are welcome!... Doggy backpack holster... :)

This is where baby steps apply, Cap gun then louder as you go along. If a dog is frightened from too loud a noise at first they may never come around.

If you plan to use this dog as it should be, there will not be any ear pros in the duck blind.

As of right now no hunting plans but that can always change. Was thinking about starting with youtube videos of people shooting so I can regulate the volume and work my way up.

That's definitely a good looking puppy. Sorry I can't give any advice on gun training with him. My lab freaks out a little every time I pull out one of my pistols.

Good looking dog. If you don't plan on using him for hunting I wouldn't worry about him being gun shy. If you are planning on using him for bird hunting I would avoid the range its an uncontrolled noise environment. If you're serious about getting your dog used to gun fire get a starter training pistol and do it in a controlled environment. Some dogs you only have one chance to get it right.

Good looking dog. If you don't plan on using him for hunting I wouldn't worry about him being gun shy. If you are planning on using him for bird hunting I would avoid the range its an uncontrolled noise environment. If you're serious about getting your dog used to gun fire get a starter training pistol and do it in a controlled environment. Some dogs you only have one chance to get it right.

I am not sure what the future holds at this time, So after reading some puppy books I figured I would try to get him use to the sights, smells and sounds of guns early. So later in life, if the need or desire arises, he won't be scared. As most of us know, interactions they have as pups shape the rest of their life.

Great now I have baby fever! [wink] Beautiful baby- wishing you the happiest of companionship and beat of health with him! (Puppy breath- ahhhh!)

There is a site http://gundogsupply.com owned by a an avid shooter (I have no affiliation,
have just purchased long lines, first aid kits, etc through him). He may have some recommendations.

Personally I can't help- sorry! My GSDs don't attend the range with me; but are quite the supervisors whenever the guns are out (for cleaning, etc- If I turn my head- they will be posing with them).

Best wishes- let us see when you bring him home!

i got my two used to gun fire by bring them to the range first 500 yards away and lots of pats and slowly get closer with multiple visits. I also live about 1.5 miles away from one so they heard it in the back ground all their life. time and training don't rush right in and do it all in one day. nice looking pup here's my 2

pups.JPG

^^^what he said^^^

Don't take him to the range. Find a place a quarter mile away or so away from the range and go there to play with him. Make the gun fire be background noise while he is doing something FUN! Same with a light starter pistol. Find something he really loves to do. (Chase a tennis ball?) Throw the tennis ball, and when he is going have someone relatively far away fire the pistol. Get him to gradually accept the gunfire and associate it to him doing good things. Over time bring the starter pistol shooter closer until you can throw the ball and fire the pistol. He will get it. Once he is VERY comfortable with that then take him to the range. Park quite aways away and go for a walk to the range. Keep him interested and happy as you get closer. Eventually he will be boldly walking right up to the trap or skeet range like he owned the place.

Good luck!

Great looking lab . looks English with the blocky head I have a chocolate his name is titus. best dog I have had the pleasure of sharing my familys life with very close dog can not do enough to please ya listens well and awesome companionship. you will enjoy him. good luck sharing and learning from each other.

^^^what he said^^^

Don't take him to the range. Find a place a quarter mile away or so away from the range and go there to play with him. Make the gun fire be background noise while he is doing something FUN! Same with a light starter pistol. Find something he really loves to do. (Chase a tennis ball?) Throw the tennis ball, and when he is going have someone relatively far away fire the pistol. Get him to gradually accept the gunfire and associate it to him doing good things. Over time bring the starter pistol shooter closer until you can throw the ball and fire the pistol. He will get it. Once he is VERY comfortable with that then take him to the range. Park quite aways away and go for a walk to the range. Keep him interested and happy as you get closer. Eventually he will be boldly walking right up to the trap or skeet range like he owned the place.

Good luck!

Very good advice! The nice thing about my range is that it is shared with a tennis club and behind a small neighborhood. I could walk him around the neighborhood when he could hear (from a distance) small shots then as he gets more comfortable walk him down to the tennis club... close to the range but still far enough away that he wouldn't even see anything. When I do finally bring him to the range was thinking about starting with my father shooting his 22 bolt action from a distance and see how he reacts. This is all great advice. I absolutely do want a companion and my hope is that over time I can say something to the effect of "let's go to the range" or he sees the range back and knows and get excited. Ahhhh a man and his puppy hanging at the range...

I live about 1/4" mile from a gun club and hear the noise all the time. Our new puppy and prior dog were/are not bothered by it because it's always there. Positive reinforcement when near the noise is the key. BANG... treat... treat... treat. They'll associate the big noise with getting a treat.

Dogs can be spooked by the craziest things. My parents golden hated the toaster oven. We figured it must be the bell when it was done. Every time you made toast she would go outside long enough for the thing to finish before she would come back inside.

If a dog is afraid of a gun it might not be the sound of it shooting that spooks them, it could be the sound of releasing the slide or any number of other sounds. The dog sees the gun and off they go. You just never know.

I shot on the deck with dog inside the glass door at 4-5 months. He was unfazed.

He met a ton of dogs in Boston and heard all kinds of city noises. He mostly barks at other dogs.

I have no idea why my lab is afraid of guns, she's never really been around the noise and I've always had them out around the house. The sight of firearms and smoke alarm chirping are her kryptonite.

I don't have any advice as to how to introduce your new pup to firearms but Gus is great looking pup. Congratulations on your new best friend.

Many years ago when I raised my old yellow lab I took him down to the local gun range to get acclimated to gunfire. I waited until he was at least more than a coupe months old and thoroughly enjoyed playing ball and retrieving to me. I parked down the road from the range a good ways and we slowly walked down the dirt rd towards the range. There was conservation area abutting the range so lots of walking area. We got used to the gun shots from a distance with a distraction he enjoyed. If he is a little uneasy or concentrates on the noise leave and come back a second day. If I remember correctly we made it down to the parking lot the first day and played ball only about 50 yards away from the firing line and it never phased him one bit. Take it slow because if he gets scared it will be even harder to re introduce and he will be forever scared of loud noises like gun shots, fireworks or thunder. Good luck. Most labs are naturals

We start puppies with a bird boy throwing a bumper and firing a .209 primer starter pistol at 20 or 30 yards. The dogs associate the shot with the retrieve and after some time they get really excited for it. If you need some extra excitement, then throw some dead ducks!

We progress to shotguns after they master the starter pistols.

If you haven't done field work before, then it is something I'd definitely recommend you look into. Retrievers are thrilled to be doing what they've been bred to do. Your guy would love it.

image.jpg
I dont have anything to add but a picture of our pup. Brandy is a year and half old. Great pup. I don't hunt but she loves hanging out while load mags and pack up for the range.

Use a couple 2x4 blocks. Clap them together every once in a while. That will get him used to sharp sudden noises. Gradually clapping them louder will make him more comfortable around noise. And it can be helpful to you to see his reaction.
I also ran my vacuum around new puppies often as well as a mixer or blender. My dogs have always done well with noise after a short time.
Good luck with Gus!

I'm a pretty lucky guy, dog-wise, and I've always brought them to the range first. I usually start by just hanging around the clubhouse while other people shoot. Then, slowly work my way to the actual firing line. I've never ended up with a gun-shy dog. Maggie shows up at a lot of NES shoots and nothing bothers her unless Blitz1 refuses to put peanut butter on his nether regions.

edit: Beautiful pup. Does he taste like chocolate?

Awww. I have to post my 4 month-old English Chocolate Lab "Kylo." Labs are awesome. This guy is heading towards 110 pounds based on his parents.

View attachment 168246View attachment 168247

...and a little movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-EXISrq1Pg

[smile]

So cute! I just talked to the breeder and I am going to see him tomorrow. I may try to get some video of him running around. There is definitely a lot of good advice on here and I am going to do some more research. He most certainly will be my best friend. I also love the added bonus of everyone else sharing their labs!

Thanks NES!

Back
Top Bottom