• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chocolate Lab

I had a border collie. I took him to the range when he was a puppy. I kept him in my car with the windows down. He jumped out and stayed right next to me. After 4 or 5 times he was OK. The first shot always startled him. After that he was fine. Good luck. Great looking pup.

God bless Gus! I took my blk Lab out to trap shoots first. Sat a good distance away. Moved closer after a while. Guys shooting saw her and of course came over to pat her. She associated the sounds and smells of shooting with good things. Did more later but I thought it was a good intro. She hunted well for years, I miss her.

Good luck

i got my two used to gun fire by bring them to the range first 500 yards away and lots of pats and slowly get closer with multiple visits. I also live about 1.5 miles away from one so they heard it in the back ground all their life. time and training don't rush right in and do it all in one day. nice looking pup here's my 2

View attachment 168113

[laugh2] Ok thats just plain wrong, your dogs are cute but thats YOUR daughter, she need just as much love.

I thought my parents where mean but at least they didn't scrub me out of the family pictures

[rofl]

Beautiful looking pup.

I agree with all of the advice here. You should try to slowly acclimate your puppy to increasing loud noises. Also, if your puppy is highly motivated by a toy or food you can try distracting him. Goal is to have him so focused on a kong or a treat that he isn't even paying attention to the noise.

However, you need to understand that noise sensitivity is largely genetic. You can try testing your puppy with a coffee can filled with gravel, marbles, coins. Get his focus and then drop the can or shake the can in front of him. Most puppies will startle. What you want to see is that he quickly gets over this. Try rolling the can on the ground. Ideally your puppy will soon be pouncing on the can. If he continues to be skittish, you may have an uphill battle getting him used to gunfire.

Regulation English Labs are 85-95 Lbs. w/big block heads. This is Jackson and was the pick of his litter. If you shoot it, he will bring it back. He is older now and lost a few steps, but still eager to please. Best, smartest dog i have ever had.
izsrbo.jpg

As of right now no hunting plans but that can always change. Was thinking about starting with youtube videos of people shooting so I can regulate the volume and work my way up.

Dogs have more acute hearing than humans. If you aren't training him to hunt, then why expose him to the painful noise? Not getting it.

Is there anyway you could "team him up" with another lab that has been exposed and used to "bangs"?
I have a lab that was afraid to go into the water until I teamed him up with a cute yellow.
The yellow jumped in the water and Tinder followed her...has loved the water ever since.
Some treats with a cap pistol ( for both of them ) might be a good way to start.
ggboy

While both rescues, my little mutt has no problem with guns, my lab mix is a big baby.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Get some earpro for the dog if you'll be taking it to the range.

They need it just as much as humans.

Agree with this...if you care about the animal, don't subject him to gunfire. Make sure he's got something to muffle the sound unless you want a dog that's truly afraid of guns for good reason...and going deaf.

Worth a try, But consider this, noise will be loud but will not have the effect of the sharp "crack", which is actually the stimulus.

This is what I was going to say. My dogs came from Kentucky and they were not afraid of lightning until they got older. But after watching the effects, I noticed it's not the noise but the percussion or vibration from the strike that bothers them.
I'd start the pup right from the get go.

We got our lab from Varney's Labs in Turner Maine. They have several bloodlines and add new blood in as needed. Our lab is small about 55lbs but she's excellent with kids and I think she'd be a great hunter if I had trained her more.

He was about 50% the price of any of the MA/NH breeders I had found.

If it were a girl, Godiva would have been a sweet name.

A breeder I knew always had the bitch at the range while carrying her litter and they were all exposed to gunfire from day one.

If my lab is chasing a tennis ball, there could be a bomb going off and she could care less.

This. I “cured” a buddy’s lab of being gun shy using labs love of retrieving. Once we started, only gun shots dog was exposed to was while retrieving. First retrieves with shotguns present no shooting. The 22 blank launched retrieving dummies. Then blank shotguns load. Then starting pistols. Dog associated guns with retrieving.

We have started other dogs that way.

I have a half black lab, can't shoot around her, she gets pissed and trys to attack the gun, which for obvious reasons is probably bad. Also fireworks are a horrible idea, i don't know if it's no fear or no brain but as soon as she see's the fuse lit... it's go time! Damn thing wont let me have any fun.

Back
Top Bottom