Chinese point of view about America and guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The top selling car in China is a Buick. GM makes more money in China than they do in the US.

Yep, that is what I heard too. But if you want a real-sized engine there is a HUGE import duty. Also heard that the quality of goods available to buy are simply horrendous. You need a sink for a bathroom, you have the choice of the cheapest junk that will crack and fail in a year. The irony is that really good quality sinks are being made all over china, just that they are for export only out of the country!

Regarding the written content, my chinese team is pretty damn good with written english.

I wonder though, why are so many of the comments related to "Our countrymen are crazy, and will shoot anything that moves, but it would be nice..."

Regarding the written content, my chinese team is pretty damn good with written english.

I wonder though, why are so many of the comments related to "Our countrymen are crazy, and will shoot anything that moves, but it would be nice..."

I wonder if we'd feel the same way if we never had 2nd Amendment rights and never had access to guns. If that were the case, though, I suppose we wouldn't be here.

I dunno, I should ask some people in Cambridge next time I'm there.

The distrust is really what surprised me, it was in quite a few of the posts.

The traditional Chinese society used to be polite: love your neighbor, honor your elder and all that. Commies came to power and they deliberately destroyed the traditions (Google Culture Revolution). They also built a society of snitches like that of '1984'.

Chinese people used to be pan-religious, a utilitarian view of deity if you will. Commies are atheists by definition. Now you have 99% of population that believes there is no higher power than the rule of men.

The economy freed up but the political system didn't. Now you have crony materialism: unconstrained greed combined with unchecked power. The common people do not have democratic channels to vent their frustration, the press is still the mouthpiece of the Party and the justice system is full of corruption.

There is quite a bit of pent-up anger in everyone. I have no doubt that if guns are more available, there will likely be more shooting incidents, unless overnight everyone becomes armed, then a polite society might be reborn.

Many mass shooting in here have Freudian root (young males feeling rejected). China has a birth sex ratio of 1.19:1 due to selective abortion and infanticide. Now you have a large male population that doesn't get laid.

A prerequisite for a Constitutional Republic such as what we have (or had), is that most people will do the moral thing most of the time, or at least play by the rules most of the time. Unfortunately, I don't have confidence to say that of today's China.

Think this: an armed society is a polite society, unless everyone think they can solve his problem by a long range rifle shot.

"All of our countrymen are crazy" is a bit broad brush but the deep social, economical and cultural problems are real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom