• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Child, 11, brings gun to class, is arrested

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/03/28/child_11_brings_gun_to_class_is_arrested/

Child, 11, brings gun to class, is arrested
Called a first at elementary school

By David Abel, Globe Staff | March 28, 2007

The .44-caliber pistol was in the boy's backpack, officials said.

When his fifth-grade teacher asked him just before class ended for the day yesterday whether he had a gun, the 11-year-old at John P. Holland Elementary School said yes, authorities said.

Then, he took it out of his blue and gray bag and put it on his desk, while more than 20 students watched, school officials said.

The gun was loaded, police said.

School officials said it was the first time they have found a loaded handgun inside a city elementary school. The discovery shocked parents, some of whom said they would consider removing their children from the Dorchester school.

The boy, whose name was not released, allegedly told other students that he had the weapon. They told their teacher as they waited to be called to their buses shortly before 2:30 p.m., said Jonathan Palumbo, a spokesman for the Boston Public School Department.

"This is very disturbing," Palumbo said. "But we're glad that the students who found out about this had the presence of mind to inform their teacher."

He said the school had not had problems with the student and that he did not threaten anyone.

"There was also no indication that there was any reason why the student had the weapon with him," Palumbo said. "There was no threat of violence."

After the boy took out the gun, the teacher picked it up with a towel and brought it to the principal's office, Palumbo said. They called a school police officer, who had been outside helping students get on their buses. A few minutes later, the teacher, principal, and officer returned to the classroom, where the boy and other students remained, Palumbo said.

They took the boy to the principal's office, where he was arrested on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a loaded firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm on school property, and unlawful possession of ammunition, police said. He is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in the juvenile session of Dorchester District Court.

Elaine Driscoll, spokeswoman for Boston police, said the boy told investigators he found the gun in a yard. The location is under investigation. "We want to remind youth that if you find a firearm, don't touch it; don't pick it up," Driscoll said. "Instead, alert police or an adult immediately. "

Police informed his mother, and he was booked and questioned at the area C-11 police station late yesterday, police said.

This incident follows the report of a 14-year-old student who showed up at Dorchester's John W. McCormack Middle School on Friday with a .38-caliber bullet, two law enforcement officials with knowledge of the case said yesterday. They said the student threatened other students' lives and bragged that he had a gun at home. The officials said police later executed a search warrant at the student's home and found no gun, but they found the bullet.

Michelle O'Connell, the principal of Holland Elementary School, declined to comment.

Parents and neighborhood officials were furious.

"I'm very upset; this shouldn't be happening," Leslie Harrison, a parent of a fourth-grader at the school, said shortly after picking her son up from an after-school program. "Right now, I would like to see metal detectors."

After hearing about the incident while waiting for her daughter outside the school yesterday, Neite Lomba, a paramedic from Dorchester, said she was considering transferring her daughter, a fourth-grader, to a private school.

"What if they didn't catch that kid with a gun? Maybe someone would have been killed inside the school this time," she said, referring to Quinntessa Blackwell, 18, who was fatally shot in broad daylight just yards from the school earlier this month.

Maria Diaz, whose daughter is a fifth-grade student at the school, said administrators need to do more to protect children inside the school. "I'm scared now," said Diaz, who had just picked up her daughter at the school.

The real problem is easy access to guns, said Davida Andelman, chair of the Greater Bowdoin-Geneva Neighborhood Association. "It's unfathomable to me," Andelman said. "You can go out any day of the week in this community and get guns."

Palumbo said school officials would dispatch safety officers and a counseling team to the school this morning.

Brian Ballou and Suzanne Smalley of the Globe staff and Globe correspondent Michael P. Naughton contributed to this report. David Abel can be reached at [email protected].

"School officials said it was the first time they have found a loaded handgun inside a city elementary school."
HUH? THIS IS DORCHESTER THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, THEY MUST HAVE MENT FIRST TIME THAT DAY.

"The real problem is easy access to guns, said Davida Andelman, chair of the Greater Bowdoin-Geneva Neighborhood Association. "It's unfathomable to me," Andelman said. "You can go out any day of the week in this community and get guns."

"Boston police, said the boy told investigators he found the gun in a yard."

THEY SHOULD START A COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAM TO REMND GANGBANGERS NOT TO LEAVE THEIR TOOLS JUST LAYING AROUND

"the teacher picked it up with a towel and brought it to the principal's office,"
TOWELS WORK REAL GOOD FOR WIPEING AWAY ANY FINGERPRINTS"

"We want to remind youth that if you find a firearm, don't touch it; don't pick it up,"

MAYBE EDDIE EAGLE SHOULD VISIT THE SCHOOL AND EDUCATE TEACHERS AS WELL AS CHILDREN

ad_eddie.gif

Idiot said:
"I'm very upset; this shouldn't be happening," Leslie Harrison, a parent of a fourth-grader at the school, said shortly after picking her son up from an after-school program. "Right now, I would like to see metal detectors."

Then; cameras, identification cards, strip searches, heavy police presence...

It's for the children!

Oh the trauma ! Seeing a big bad gun has messed me up forever ! WTF ?

I don't suppose having an actual gun safety class would be anything that crossed their minds... just psychological counseling.

When his fifth-grade teacher asked him just before class ended for the day yesterday whether he had a gun, the 11-year-old at John P. Holland Elementary School said yes, authorities said.
Lesson #1: Lie and you don't get arrested.

Elaine Driscoll, spokeswoman for Boston police, said the boy told investigators he found the gun in a yard.

The real problem is easy access to guns, said Davida Andelman, chair of the Greater Bowdoin-Geneva Neighborhood Association.
Well, I guess that proves that I'm not smarter than a fifth-grader; I wish I knew where to find guns in a yard!!

"We want to remind youth that if you find a firearm, don't touch it; don't pick it up,"

MAYBE EDDIE EAGLE SHOULD VISIT THE SCHOOL AND EDUCATE TEACHERS AS WELL AS CHILDREN

ad_eddie.gif

It's pretty obvious that they blatantly stole this from the NRA. The Herald argument quoted a police officer as above plus "Tell an adult". Sounds pretty familiar to me.

But it's the NRA that's bad, right?

Gary

the kid was probably overheard saying:

"But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

They said the student threatened other students' lives and bragged that he had a gun at home. The officials said police later executed a search warrant at the student's home and found no gun, but they found the bullet.
I can see a potential basis for a warrant. The child had come into possession of contraband (according to MA law) and had threatened to have access to it. Is this enough?

When I was about 12, I was standing on a bridge and looked into the water below me. There was a rifle in the shallow water of the river. I waded into the river and pulled out a Mauser that had only been there for a very short time.

I walked the mile or so to the police station with it and turned it in. Told them I wanted it if no one claimed it. Never heard another word about it.

Back in the late 50's no one even thought about a kid carrying a rifle, even into the police station.

Pilgrim:

Were you a kid in LOWELL, MA? a Mauser hugh? Imagine that?

A good frind fished out an Enfield with a .303 round still in the chamber with a misfred primer and another friend found a .38 with only one round used, four good ones right under the bridge.

Of course these kids were to dumb to turn them in to Police. had them hanging up like souviniers!

Hey they would have got into trouble, just for having them, right?

Damm: My next door nieghbor just found a pistol and a bunch of old ammo in the Barn. We have to clean it up to see what it is. Wierd looking??? Must have been left there years & years ago when it used to be a farm.

He gave me a few nice brass 12 GA shells.

Back
Top Bottom