• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chicopee Sportsmans Club New Range Rules coming

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
First a little background is in order: I was a member of the Westfield Sportsman's Club for many years and I left the Westfield club after new range rules were instituted in the wake of the tragic accident at the machine gun shoot. These new range rules restricted the use of handguns to those 21 years old and older and long guns to those 18 years of age and older unless the shooter had his or her own FID card.

At the end of last year I joined the Chicopee Sportsman's club and as of July 2010 all members must complete a range safety class. I attended that class this morning and it was basically a review of range safety, etiquette, and basic club guidelines. But one of the things that was said is that the board of directors is currently meeting with the clubs attorneys and there are new range rules coming regarding age limits on the shooting ranges. The new rules are expected to mimic the rules at the Westfield club restricting the use of handguns to those 21 years old and older and long guns to those 18 or 15 years of age(they were not sure on the age limit yet) and older unless the shooter had his or her own FID card. My impression the the 21 years of age for a handgun was pretty much a done deal as the director of the club stated that you have to have an LTC to even look at a handgun is a store in Massachusetts.

This is directly from the officers of the club that were running the training session and is not second hand information. I made my feelings clear in the training session as this is the sole reason I left the Westfield Club and joined the Chicopee club and if these age restrictions come to pass at the Chicopee Club I will once again be looking for another club when my membership expires.

I really believe that if don't introduce our children to the shooting sports before the ages of 15, 18, or 21 most of them will be lost to the sport forever. If all clubs follow this new trend the shooting sports that we all enjoy now will gradually disappear.

If you belong to the Chicopee Sportsman's Club and feel as strongly about this as I do you might consider writing a letter to the board of directors and let them know how you feel about these changes that are on the horizon.

Bob

http://www.chicopeesportsmensclub.com/clubnews.asp

I really believe that if don't introduce our children to the shooting sports before the ages of 15, 18, or 21 most of them will be lost to the sport forever. If all clubs follow this new trend the shooting sports that we all enjoy now will gradually disappear.

Which is why the laws are the way they are. Good luck with your fight. I hope to not be fighting the same one in the near future.

I think you will find this ruling at many sporting clubs in the near future. The purpose is safety. Its good to get the young interested in the shooting sports, but lets do it with responsibility. If it saves one life its worth it. We don't want a repeat that happened at Westfield.

I think you will find this ruling at many sporting clubs in the near future. The purpose is safety. Its good to get the young interested in the shooting sports, but lets do it with responsibility. If it saves one life its worth it. We don't want a repeat that happened at Westfield.

Oh wow... How can you suggest this is about safety? An 18 yro is incapable of firing a handgun??? At the end of the day, these clubs are not doing this for safety, they are doing it for liability reasons. Not just financial liability but legal liability because they are worried about the state coming after them. But make no mistake, this is not for safeties sake.

I'm a member of Chicopee Sportsmens Club, and I've had a couple of discussions with a board member about the no-guests-can-shoot policy, without success... I've also tried unsuccessfully to have a discussion about offering NRA Basic Pistol classes there, with the response that they only offer the course twice a year, and if I wanted to volunteer my credentials and teaching, they would be glad to add me to the roster. They were not at all interested in hosting any additional classes in a profit-sharing or fee-per-student basis...

They have nice ranges, and they are rarely overused, but I think I'll start shopping for a new club...

I'm afraid that you are right that many clubs will implement these kind of "end of the sport" rules. It has nothing to do with safety or Westfield . . . there were significant errors at Westfield that have nothing directly to do with the age of the victim.

A fellow police officer's Daughter got involved in a Juniors program at an early age. I think she was ~14 yo when she was winning medals. By the time she was 18 yo, she no longer had any interest in guns . . . I think that guys kinda took center stage for her. If you don't interest kids at a young age, you've probably lost them until MAYBE they are in their late 20s or later, if ever. Learning responsibility at a young age, along with a dose of "if you screw up with drugs, DUI, etc. you will NEVER be able to touch a gun" leads to kids that stay out of trouble, not the other way around.

Oh wow... How can you suggest this is about safety? An 18 yro is incapable of firing a handgun??? At the end of the day, these clubs are not doing this for safety, they are doing it for liability reasons. Not just financial liability but legal liability because they are worried about the state coming after them. But make no mistake, this is not for safeties sake.

I guess if we listen to buffermop, we shouldn't allow anyone under 21 to join the Armed Forces, after all they are too immature and incapable of handling guns or other weapons responsibly and safely . . . right? [thinking] [rolleyes]

It's bad enough that young men/women who have served honorably in a war zone come home and are told that they can't get a LTC or own handguns/large capacity firearms . . . after they were a tank commander/SAW operator/etc. I have never served, but I find it personally insulting that these young men/women (heroes all) are treated like crap by the system . . . now buffermop and others running gun clubs want to do the same! [sad]

Please give me a break! [angry]

Interesting to know, thanks for posting this. I was considering joining this club within the next month or two but might do some more looking. I wasn't thrilled with the "guests can't shoot" policy, but might have been willing to deal.

Wow....thanks for posting this!

I'm not from that area, but if the Clubs are going to have a "no guests can shoot" poilcy, and keep kids from learning, it would make more sense to just find a nice, rich real estate speculator and sell out now.

One of the selling points for my home Club is that kids are especially welcomed, and guests are considered a resource for growth into the future. We as shooters can't become a bigger presence unless we get non-shooters to join our ranks.

If I couldn't bring my kids to shoot (and on occasion, get beat by them) I'd be out at the range a lot less.

First a little background is in order: I was a member of the Westfield Sportsman's Club for many years and I left the Westfield club after new range rules were instituted in the wake of the tragic accident at the machine gun shoot. These new range rules restricted the use of handguns to those 21 years old and older and long guns to those 18 years of age and older unless the shooter had his or her own FID card.

At the end of last year I joined the Chicopee Sportsman's club and as of July 2010 all members must complete a range safety class. I attended that class this morning and it was basically a review of range safety, etiquette, and basic club guidelines. But one of the things that was said is that the board of directors is currently meeting with the clubs attorneys and there are new range rules coming regarding age limits on the shooting ranges. The new rules are expected to mimic the rules at the Westfield club restricting the use of handguns to those 21 years old and older and long guns to those 18 or 15 years of age(they were not sure on the age limit yet) and older unless the shooter had his or her own FID card. My impression the the 21 years of age for a handgun was pretty much a done deal as the director of the club stated that you have to have an LTC to even look at a handgun is a store in Massachusetts.

This is directly from the officers of the club that were running the training session and is not second hand information. I made my feelings clear in the training session as this is the sole reason I left the Westfield Club and joined the Chicopee club and if these age restrictions come to pass at the Chicopee Club I will once again be looking for another club when my membership expires.

If you belong to the Chicopee Sportsman's Club and feel as strongly about this as I do you might consider writing a letter to the board of directors and let them know how you feel about these changes that are on the horizon.

Bob

http://www.chicopeesportsmensclub.com/clubnews.asp
check out fairview sportsmens club on carver st in granby. we have common sense rules for members. stop by on a sunday morning as there is a large group there for turkey shoots...and you will usually find someone there on sat mornings and afternoons also. feel free to pm me for any questions you have. also dues are very reasonable at 40 bucks for an individual and 50 for a family membership.

Last edited:
+1 i believe you have hit it on the head with that statement.

check out fairview sportsmens club on carver st in granby. we have common sense rules for members. stop by on a sunday morning as there is a large group there for turkey shoots...and you will usually find someone there on sat mornings and afternoons also. feel free to pm me for any questions you have. also dues are very reasonable at 40 bucks for an individual and 50 for a family membership.

Thanks for the information Bob. If these new range rules go into effect you will see me over there looking at the club.

I think that it is important to note that the reason I created this thread was to get the word out so that current members would know what is happening and hopefully send a letter to the Board of Directors to let them know how the members feel. I have included the address for the Board of Directors below. If enough members speak out it will hopefully stop this nonsense. It this new "trend" in the name of liability reduction is not nipped in the bud it poses a huge threat to the shooting sports in this state.

Bob

Board of Directors
Chicopee Sportsmens Club
PO Box 332
Chicopee, MA 01021

For all of those in Western Ma looking for a new club and dont mind a drive, Conway Sportsmans Club is always acceptting new members. $25.00 yearly dues.

I for one WON'T be reupping my membership if this is the case!!![frown] by the way, what other club's are in western mass, besides chic/westfield???

Last edited:
I for one WON'T be reupping my membership if this is the case!!![frown] by the way, what other club's are in western mass, besides chic/westfield???

there are quite a few clubs in western ma. fairview sportsmans club, swift river sportsmens club, granby sportsmans club, there are plenty more out here.

Back
Top Bottom