• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chickens 2023/2024

That’s a bummer. This might be a silly question but what’s the best (most humane) way to cull? I’m not looking forward to the day I’ll have to do that.
I remember my Grandmother walking into the Chicken Pen, hands on hips looking around. Finally grabbed one and walked over to my Grandfather's chopping block chopped the head off and it was Sunday dinner.

Finally grabbed one and walked over to my Grandfather's chopping block chopped the head off and it was Sunday dinner.
Many moons ago, next door neighbor was a butcher. On Sunday, he would bring home a dozen chickens and in the back yard, chop off their heads. Damn chickens would run around the yard headless until they dropped.

Hi.
If you're looking to replace your current layers, it's important to consider factors such as egg production, temperament, and suitability for your climate. The Australorp breed is known for being a good layer, with hens capable of producing up to 300 eggs per year. They also have a calm temperament, which can be beneficial if you have children or other pets.

Other popular breeds for egg production include the Leghorn, Rhode Island Red, and Sussex. However, availability and cost may vary depending on your location and the breeder or hatchery you choose to purchase from.

In terms of cost, purchasing chicks can be relatively inexpensive, with prices ranging from a few dollars to around $10 per chick, depending on the breed and source. However, keep in mind that raising chicks requires time and resources, such as a brooder, heat lamp, and appropriate feed.

If you're interested in getting started with chickens, it's important to do your research and consider all aspects of their care before making a commitment. There are many resources available online and through local agricultural organizations that can help you learn more about raising chickens.

80131d1371774686-miata-coup-aaaaaay-source-jpg

MsHappy's sister had some. Good deal for me, we get eggs, and I can always find her a birthday/Xmas present at Tractor Supply. [laugh]

For about 30 seconds, I thought about doing it where I live, but the City's regs on it make it damn near unpossible to lawfully site a coop, and even though I'm within 495, every predator mentioned in the thread has been in my yard. The appropriate response to said predators are not viable, either, because it's too built up.

SO, I'll stick with

126291-01_peeps-marshmallow-chicks-candy-pink-5-piece-pack_911e65b2-8311-40bf-8e55-02ba708853fd_1100x.jpg

Best of luck to all you Frank Perdue Jr. types.

My girls have been digging like crazy in their run the last few days. Is this normal spring time behavior? Enjoying a long awaited dust bath or should i worry about mites?
Ours are doing that too. I believe the dust bath keeps the mites away. It can't hurt to grab a couple and check them out to make sure there are no mites or lice. My wife checks ours as she is the one that wanted them, but I seem to be the one who keeps paying for them.

So heard my chickens making a lot of noise just now and I went out to check on them and I see this guy looking up at me. First time ever seeing one! Luckily the chicken coop was closed. I thought it was a normal house cat at first.

Will he be back?

Screenshot_20230311_082851_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230311_082941_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
So heard my chickens making a lot of noise just now and I went out to check on them and I see this guy looking up at me. First time ever seeing one! Luckily the chicken coop was closed. I thought it was a normal house cat at first.

Will he be back?

View attachment 730544View attachment 730545
That look s like a male bobcat.The females are stockier and have shorter, stubbier legs. We've had a couple unfruitful bobcats attacks in the past. I believe it was a female each time.

I set up additional motion sensor and perimeter alarms in response, and the wife and I try to wear a side arm whenever the chickens are out free ranging.

Also, be sure to pour some "pee jars" around the areas you see it sneeking through... as a deterrent.

Last edited:
Took delivery from a local farm today. Nine Rhode Island Reds…all 1 week old and seem healthy and relatively active considering their chilly journey (it was below freezing in Eastern Kentucky this morning.)

Will keep them under the heat lamp for their first week here and will put them under an ‘EcoGlow’ for the remainder of their time until they’re ready for the coop.

Attachments

• 871C04BA-276D-4CC2-975C-B757B6CF5F99.jpeg
    871C04BA-276D-4CC2-975C-B757B6CF5F99.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 13
Took delivery from a local farm today. Nine Rhode Island Reds…all 1 week old and seem healthy and relatively active considering their chilly journey (it was below freezing in Eastern Kentucky this morning.)

Will keep them under the heat lamp for their first week here and will put them under an ‘EcoGlow’ for the remainder of their time until they’re ready for the coop.
cool. they'll be ready to go outside just as the weather will be getting really nice.

Started my own mealworm farm to cut the cost of treats. If this works out, I’ll probably make a second set up with totes. I should have watched videos before getting this kit
I saw a video on this recently, I am very interested as well.

Wife and daughter want ducklings this spring as well as a few more hens, so it looks like I am building a duck house once the snow is gone.

I love chickens!!! Dont like roosters.
This guy is the man. He’s a red ranger meat bird that got a reprieve from the kill cone because he was so nice. My 3 year old can walk right up and pat him and he doesn’t care. For a short time I had another rooster that was a pain in the a. Would always try to attack this guy, this guy would just stand there and push the other away with his wing. Never gets worked up about anything.

4334BA06-DA99-4F9C-8E20-D31C8A833A10.jpeg

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that dodge grain regularly gets pullets in stock……they sold out within minutes the last 2 deliveries. Just a heads up, if you’re planning on going there go early (deliveries usually arrive around 11am) and stake out a spot near the yard entrance.

I have a maggot farm hanging in the chicken run.

I bait it with roadkill, trapped pests, and table scraps of meat.

Gives the chickens a good source of protien.

View attachment 735481

View attachment 735482
That’s a pretty good idea. There’s sometimes stray cats around here for some reason and they don’t eat ticks like the possums do, so I might swap the host.

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen the cats since the deep freeze we had just before Christmas…they might already be dead.

My 9 Rhode Island Reds are 5 weeks old now and my 9 Buff Orpington’s are 3 weeks. I’m building my coop next week I think if I can manage to design something before then. I’m thinking 8x6 floor plan with 1’ of that width as nesting boxes and feeder/waterer space. I’ll have 19 birds until the fall and then will cull most of the roosters if they don’t cull themselves first…in which case, I’ll just eat them young.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom