Chicago Police Superintendent Blames Increased Shooting on Lax State and Fed Gun Laws

Another Violent Holiday Weekend for Chicago
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2...for-chicago/B9wsXHuef1Cg8A3YsKf1sJ/story.html
(Sent from Boston.com)

"McCarthy believes the sheer number of guns in the city combined with lax state and federal gun laws are to blame."

Hmm... Makes sense... Toughest gun laws in the nation... Highest amount of gun crimes... Ya must be the lax gun laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a point where even the slightest bit of common sense or facts will not prevail with some of these people and he's reached it!

Chicago Police Superintendent Blames Increased Shooting on Lax State and Fed ...

I'm not trying to back him up but from what I saw in the news is he said there were to many ILLEGAL guns and punishment for possession of such guns were lax....the above "quote" was not actually a McCarthy quote but an excerpt from the article....for instance, possession of a loaded illegal firearm is not a violent felony in IL....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did he mention how many of the gun deaths this weekend were at the hands of law enforcement?

I'm not trying to back him up but from what I saw in the news is he said there were to many ILLEGAL guns and punishment for possession of such guns were lax....the above "quote" was not actually a McCarthy quote but an excerpt from the article....for instance, possession of a loaded illegal firearm is not a violent felony in IL....

There's no such thing as an "illegal" inanimate object. It takes a human action to do something illegal. Inanimate objects are well, inanimate. [wink]

Funny how Detroits police chief James Craig has a polar opposite philosophy on gun ownership than his Chicago counterpart.
And Detroits crime rate is falling while Chicagos is still rising.

[video=youtube_share;ZVsTsIiOgHE]http://youtu.be/ZVsTsIiOgHE[/video]

Chicago Police Superintendent Blames Increased Shooting on Lax State and Fed ...

There's no such thing as an "illegal" inanimate object. It takes a human action to do something illegal. Inanimate objects are well, inanimate. [wink]

Very good point....not being a wise ass or trying to nitpick when I ask this but is a firearm with the serial number removed classified as an illegal object?

When we discuss gun deaths in Chicago it's always stated as Number 1 in the country when in fact it isn't As with any statistic it depends on how you rank them. Rank in murder per 100k it's not even in the top 9.
1. New Orleans...........................19.0
2. Memphis...................................9.4
3. Detroit.......................................8.6
4. Birmingham..............................8.4
5. St. Louis...................................8.1
6. Baltimore..................................7.7
7. Jacksonville..............................7.4
8. Kansas City..............................6.8
9. Philadelphia..............................6.2

But when you look at sheer numbers, it ranks 2

1. Los Angeles.......................1,141
2. Chicago..............................1,139
3. New York.............................1,101
4. Philadelphia...........................729
5. Houston..................................701
6. Detroit.....................................686
7. Miami.......................................594
8. Dallas......................................469
9. Washington.............................440
10. San Francisco......................439

When we discuss gun deaths in Chicago it's always stated as Number 1 in the country when in fact it isn't As with any statistic it depends on how you rank them. Rank in murder per 100k it's not even in the top 9.

Common denominator+ Democrat rule....end of debate.

Po Boys with a side of murder. Or is it the other way around? Eeek.

Poverty, drugs, lack of jobs, poor education, culture, and a non existent family structure has nothing to do with it.

Uh huh.

If their reasoning was even close to accurate, than everywhere else in America that doesn't have their strict gun control laws, would have rivers of blood in the streets.

If everywhere else's "lax" gun laws caused crime, then everywhere else would be the height of violence, and in Chicago you'd have to wait in line behind rainbow-colored unicorns to get free thickpan pizza.

The murders/100K of population are telling. They are all large to enormous US cities, most with serious inner city issues involving crime, drugs, gangs, poverty, poor education and other negative societal factors.

Yet somehow it's the fault of guns and laws that are not enforced.

Yeah, right.

as was said earlier, chicago PD and politicians are not listening to anything logical.

the fact that the PD superintendant has to speak in support of gun control actually shows that Rahm's support on this issue is waning. basically the mayor's office called the PD and said "hey we need some public boost, so let's have puppet CLEO McCarthy announce why father Rahm is correct".

it's political reach-around....now Rahm owes McCarthy which means the unions will get some type of boost and McCarthy will be credited for getting better benefits for the LEOs.

it's all garbage. only solution for chicago is something like the French Revolution.

A while back I did a correlation on a per-state basis between violent crime and population density.
The correlation was 0.45.
I did the same correlation between the Brady rating and violent crime.
That was 0.12. That is, the higher Brady-rated states (NJ, NY, ...) tended to have the higher crime rates.

I did the same correlations with gun crimes.
w/pop.dens. = 0.28, w/Brady = 0.08.
Although not statistically significant, both are still positive.

Conclusion: It's people that cause the crime.

Back
Top Bottom