• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chicago Police Officer Killed in Gun Battle

Details have been updated.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/07/illinois.police.officer.killed/index.html?hpt=T2
A Chicago police officer was killed in a gun battle with a suspect Wednesday afternoon, and a suspect was critically wounded, a police spokesman said.
R.I.P Officer Soderberg.
unfortunately the suspect is in stable condition.

To the first couple of reply's on this post. I simply had two completely different thoughts posted at an ill mannered time and I apologize. Of course my condolences go out to the family and I hope that scumbag gets everything he deserves.

Last edited:
If you're commenting in regard to the new chicago gun laws, then it doesn't matter much if it is not a new legal gunowner.

What you should be concerned about is we have a dead officer and a live thug. Condolences to the family are in order, not an oh shit thread about the political battle that is chicago gun rights. RIP officer.....

There is no such thing as a "good time" for a tragedy like this.

I hope the perp gets gangrene while in the hospital, and the hospital runs out of morphine, and then the AC goes out in his room, then he gets a steel sliver in his eye, and the nurse accidentally gives him a blanket made out of fiberglass insulation, and then he gets that never healing crack in the corner of his mouth that rips open each time you yawn, then gets an ingrown toenails on each toe, thats all I can think of for now.

May his soul rest in peace.

And I have a bad feeling that the wonderful mayor of Chicago is now going to try to take away guns from police now.

I hope the perp gets gangrene while in the hospital, and the hospital runs out of morphine, and then the AC goes out in his room, then he gets a steel sliver in his eye, and the nurse accidentally gives him a blanket made out of fiberglass insulation, and then he gets that never healing crack in the corner of his mouth that rips open each time you yawn, then gets an ingrown toenails on each toe, thats all I can think of for now.

This

...What you should be concerned about is we have a dead officer and a live thug. Condolences to the family are in order, not an oh shit thread about the political battle that is chicago gun rights. RIP officer.....

There is no such thing as a "good time" for a tragedy like this.

+19. May the Officer R.I.P.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Chicago Criminals Have No Fear Of The Police

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-officer-bike-ride-020100719,0,2059109.column

Corrupt pols put public safety at risk

Chicago's political class can't admit to losing control. They dare not even hint at it, particularly the mayor, what with his election coming up and his poll numbers tanking.

But just about every cop in the city must feel it, with the murder Sunday of veteran Chicago police Officer Michael Bailey outside his home. As do some people in the neighborhoods.

"The man was in uniform," said Marcus Burks, 35, a bricklayer and a father who was one of the first to run to Bailey after he'd been killed in the 7400 block of South Evans Avenue.

"A Chicago police officer gets shot to death outside his house, he's in full uniform, and he gets killed because some thugs want to rob his car on Sunday morning?" Burks asked me.
Get the Chicago Tribune delivered to your home for only $1 a week >>

Detectives canvassed the neighborhood in the heat. And people sat out on their porches, watching, some fanning themselves in the shade.

"I saw him on the ground," Burks said. "You couldn't mistake him being the police. And still they try to rob him? They shoot him down? Tell me what happened to this city? Just think about that."

Bailey, 62, had just spent the night guarding Mayor Richard Daley's home.

Bailey hadn't been running through some night alley after felons or doing the kinds of things that get cops killed. It was a hot sunny morning, and he had a spray bottle of Windex in his hand.

He'd been polishing the windows of his new car, a black Buick, a gift to himself for his retirement that was supposed to take place in a couple of weeks.

Neighbors said he polished the windows of that new car every morning, after he'd spend the night guarding the mayor's house.

So his attackers most likely confronted him knowing he was a cop.

And now he's the third Chicago police officer killed in the last couple of months. On May 19, Officer Thomas Wortham was shot to death outside his home in the Chatham neighborhood, as thugs tried to steal his motorcycle. And on July 7, in the parking lot of a police facility near 61st Street and Racine Avenue, Officer Thor Soderberg, also in uniform, was killed with his own gun after a struggle with an attacker.

"This has just been a terrible year, and I don't remember anything this bad, maybe if you go back to the early '70s when we came on and we were losing, what, maybe 10 guys a year? And that was before bulletproof vests," former Chicago police Superintendent Phil Cline said.

We were in the parking lot of police headquarters at 35th Street and Michigan Avenue. Cline had just finished speaking to a group of a couple of hundred police and their families from across Illinois, part of a bike-athon that would take them to the Gold Star Memorial, with the names of fallen police on the wall.

I asked Cline and other former and current officers gathered there what had changed, if anything, with Bailey's slaying. They all said the same thing: Bailey was in uniform. And still they tried to rob him.

There was a time when the sight of the uniform alone would stop them. Not now. And that is transformation.

"I think what you're seeing is that the gangbangers have lost their fear of the police — and that's not a good thing," Cline said. "The balance we always wanted was that the good citizens in the neighborhood to like the police, the gangbangers to fear us. Evidently, we've lost that.

"And that's something the department is going to have to work on, to take back the street from these gangs. The city is going to have to bite the bullet and hire more police."

But the mayor and his rubber-stamp council have spent all the money. There is no money. They spent it on deals for the guys who know guys who got their beaks wet.

Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of deals went to the cronies. And now there's no money left to hire cops.

Police numbers are down. Cops are retiring at unprecedented rates. And there aren't enough young officers going through the academy to take their place. That puts even greater stress on sergeants and commanders.

Meanwhile, the mayor has a problem, and it's all about control. A new Tribune poll released Sunday shows that 53 percent of Chicago voters don't want Daley re-elected.

Sixty-eight percent disapprove of his handling of government corruption, with 13 percent offering no opinion. Figure that there are enough worried government workers in the 13 percent to make that 68 percent even greater.

And 54 percent of voters disapprove of how he's handling crime, with 13 percent offering no opinion, so figure that 54 percent is higher than stated.

For almost 20 years, voters have shrugged off the corruption, figuring it was a price to pay for order. But voters finally understand that the cost of corruption has taken from funds available for public safety.

Politics and policing are a lot about public perception. And here's the one folks will have as they begin the work week on Monday: A veteran police officer in uniform, who spent the night guarding the mayor's house, shot to death outside his own home on Sunday morning, confronted by robbers while polishing his car, just weeks away from retirement.

It's a jungle out there.

well th criminals know they will get away scott free most of the time and the cops hands are tied due to a public being upset with the actions of a few bad apples that taints the whole force. I wonder when the breaking poingt is because it appears to me that society cannot take much more

RIP officer

Back
Top Bottom