• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cherry Bomb by Q is a Quickie Fast-Attach muzzle brake: Legal in Mass?

Yes, but I'm not using it for that.
I like the way it looks and it comes with some uppers I'm looking at.

All I want to know is if it is legal.

I'm hoping that the LE would look beyond the threads and realize that its not a FLASH HIDER - which is what I'm really trying to avoid for legal purposes.
1. It looks like sh*t. Like someone took it from the plumbing isle at Home Depot.

2. I love how you are getting ready for a LE to look at it.

Reminds me of that video with the guy that carries his gun with 2 snap caps for when the bad guy takes the gun from him.

The law says
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
A threaded muzzle brake is not a threaded bbl. Its also not designed to accomodate a flash hider.

So Its legal. Provided its "permanently affixed" to the threaded barrel.

the muzzle brake is not the barrel. Sorry. Words have meaning.

Not exactly... This is the feds, after all. Legally, he's right.

The MA stuff is hard to parse out because the MGL does not include the text of the '94 AWB, just a reference to the USC.

As a result, most people have for 20+ years simply tried to comply with the FEDS determinations on what does or doesn't constitute an AW.

The feds did not/do not consider a muzzle device, when blind pinned and welded, or silver soldered (over 1100* melting point), to be an accessory or separate part. Those are the two means of making them "part of the barrel" in the eyes of the feds - that is their legal meaning and has been since before the '94 AWB even. Now, if it was a flash hider that had been permanently affixed by either of those means, the feds did consider said flash suppressor to now be PART of the barrel, but a flash hider none the less, and therefore not compliant with the AWB. If it was a compensator, muzzle brake, or cap, then it likewise became "part of the barrel", but not being a flash suppressor it was AWB compliant, being that the barrel was no longer threaded (in a way that could accommodate a flash suppressor, let alone be intended for it).

To this day, people get away with having shorter rifled portions of their barrel by buying a 14" or 10" threaded AR barrel and permanently installing a long brake or flash hider via the proscribed means so it becomes "part of the barrel" in the eyes of the feds, reaches over 16", and therefore is compliant with the NFA and not an SBR. Some companies even made/make one-piece (not threaded / pinned / soldered) barrels with built in brakes or flash hiders that resemble thread-ons for that purpose.

Those two methods meet the requirements of the NFA and met the requirements of the 94 AWB. It got muddier with the 89 import requirements where a few spot welds on the muzzle device were acceptable to make a barrel "not threaded" and therefore legal to import as a sporting rifle, but while they made the muzzle device fall outside of ITAR import regulations, they did NOT make the muzzle device meet the standards of the NFA or the AWB as "part of the barrel". Do not simply tack weld a barrel device on to achieve compliance with anything other than ITAR; the feds will not count that as adequate.

Anyone else can feel free to step in and fill any gaps here.

So ... you are saying I could get an AR with a 2" barrel and attach an additional 14" of muzzle brakes?

They don't stack, unfortunately, but you could call Q and ask them to make one that does.
Those guys are good 'ol NH boys and have a great sense of humor. Maybe for April 1st.

That'd be a lot of pins and welds but... I'd undertake the task of making it a non-NFA rifle, just for the LOLs.

You buying the parts?

I 'made' a 3" AR pistol barrel once; the tip of the bullet goes past the crown, rounds don't stabilize at all, and it keyholes at 20 yards. It even cycled about 1/2 of the time with the baby gas tube and block I bolted on there. May I recommend we do a 7.5" barrel with 9" of flash hiders stacked up? That way it won't have any non-baffle "baffle strikes".

Since it is threaded, can you attach a muzzle brake to the muzzle brake?
5htpzp.jpg

Dcmdon I won't split hairs with you however once you permintly attach anything to the end of the barrel it becomes a permint part of the barrel and by definition becomes the barrel

They don't stack, unfortunately, but you could call Q and ask them to make one that does.
Those guys are good 'ol NH boys and have a great sense of humor. Maybe for April 1st.

That'd be a lot of pins and welds but... I'd undertake the task of making it a non-NFA rifle, just for the LOLs.

You buying the parts?

I 'made' a 3" AR pistol barrel once; the tip of the bullet goes past the crown, rounds don't stabilize at all, and it keyholes at 20 yards. It even cycled about 1/2 of the time with the baby gas tube and block I bolted on there. May I recommend we do a 7.5" barrel with 9" of flash hiders stacked up? That way it won't have any non-baffle "baffle strikes".
Do you know who owns Q? Kevin Brittingham. If you asked something like that he’d tell you to go f*** yourself.

Do you know who owns Q? Kevin Brittingham. If you asked something like that he’d tell you to go f*** yourself.

He's a pretty cool guy actually, I bet he'd laugh... then maybe he'd consider how interchangeable modular baffle sections allowing for multiple lengths and configurations - and easy replacement - was such a great idea that he added it to his line of suppressors.

So why not identical, stackable sections of modular compensator to adjust to the needs of the shooter - actually a brilliant idea! There are plenty of companies making the same design compensator in various lengths, after all. Shit, you could probably sell an oversized backing ring to put in front of the jam nut, and different length tube adapters, then thread an existing Q suppressor on to the first compensator in line (over another backing ring) and use the entire length of the stacked compensators as a giant gas defuser with it's own additional and completely segregated blast baffle.

Last edited:
He's a pretty cool guy actually, I bet he'd laugh... then maybe he'd consider how interchangeable modular baffle sections allowing for multiple lengths and configurations - and easy replacement - was such a great idea that he added it to his line of suppressors.

So why not identical, stackable sections of modular compensator to adjust to the needs of the shooter - actually a brilliant idea! There are plenty of companies making the same design compensator in various lengths, after all. Shit, you could probably sell an oversized backing ring to put in front of the jam nut, and different length tube adapters, then thread an existing Q suppressor on to the first compensator in line (over another backing ring) and use the entire length of the stacked compensators as a giant gas defuser with it's own additional and completely segregated blast baffle.
He worked for sig sauer for a while. He designed their suppressors. That’s where I met him. Most of his employees came from sig. I’m still friends with a few of them. Where did you meet him?

Last edited:

Now I really want a brake for a brake for a brake for a brake.

And I want to add them all to a .22 handgun. Only to see NES heads explode.

Now I really want a brake for a brake for a brake for a brake.

And I want to add them all to a .22 handgun. Only to see NES heads explode.
So when are you going to build up a bull pup 10/22 with a Thompson style brake on it? You know like one of those things that you see on derelict racks in gun shows…..

View: https://youtu.be/UovWBs2yWhE

So when are you going to build up a bull pup 10/22 with a Thompson style brake on it? You know like one of those things that you see on derelict racks in gun shows…..

View: https://youtu.be/UovWBs2yWhE

I want to add a 50 cal style muzzle brake to one. I want it to be the same size as a .50 cal but for .22 or 9mm.

If you can find me one in 9mm, I have a Glock that would rock it.

He worked for sig sauer for a while. That’s where I met him. He designed their suppressors. That’s where I met him. Most of his employees came from sig. I’m still friends with a few of them. Where did you meet him?

Shots at the SHOT Show after parties, just before the Remington debacle (maybe 2008 and 2009, or 2009 and 2010) then years later when Q got rolling at SHOT again and come to find out the the new company is in the back yard now (sorta... almost). The stop at Sig makes a lot of sense. Seemed like a fairly fun and funny guy for this industry (pre-youtube era) but maybe I misjudged?

Back
Top Bottom