1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Chernobyl on HBO

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AllaSnackbah, May 7, 2019.

1. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

In Soviet Russia... physics obey OUR laws.

2. fencer

fencer NES Member

They did. They also stated that the true human cost will likely never be known.

I agree. Pull out all of the human drama bs, which is necessary to make it more watchable, and some of the details are truly alarming.

I was in high school when it happened, and remember much of the coverage. If the Russians had their way, the world would have never known about the disaster. It was really Sweden that brought it to light when they detected the radiation. I remember Germany keeping kids inside. And as horrific as the disaster was, it was almost much worse.
    Most people did not know that the disaster was the result of a safety test that went terribly wrong and that the guy in charge could have likely stopped the disaster if he was not such an idiot. Or that shortly after the explosion, many civilians, thinking that the discharge was pretty, went to a bridge to get a better look..and all died. Gorbachev was also quoted as saying that he thought that in many ways the Chernobyl disaster was truly the beginning of the end of the Soviet Union.

I have heard that new technologies have been developed that makes nuclear power much safer and reactors that are capable of running on the waste that has been created over the last 70 years, are achievable, and would make the waste virtually inert. But people refuse to have the conversation, because nuclear scares people. Wind and solar are great concepts, but just don't have what it takes to provide the energy needed.

3. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

I believe at the time, the soviets knew there were safer reactor technologies, including using a containment structure for the reactor.. but they went with the cheapest design, built by the low bidder.

4. Lefty38-55

Lefty38-55

That point was brought out in the last episode about the trial.

And the official death toll was 31.

5. Glocklike tendencies

Glocklike tendencies NES Member

Yes, "official" was something like that, 31 i believe. But it still effects families to this day.

6. Glocklike tendencies

Opps, sorry lefty, i was a little late!

7. fencer

fencer NES Member

Your belief is accurate that they knew their were cheaper designs. But there were no bidders.

8. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

One of the people sent to Russia by Reagan commented in a speech he made to the ASME and I was there was that the Russians specifically designed the reactor the way they did because plutonium was a waste product and converting the plutonium to weapons grade was not very hard at that point. In the US and the other world nuclear powers we built separate reactors for the purpose of generating materials for nuclear weapons. To do what the Russians did means compromising the reactor safety systems. One of the takeaways I remembered is that the response to a reactor going out of control required 25 seconds once the button was pushed because the secondary system that generates plutonium also has to shut down, whereas in US reactors the same safety trips the reactor in 1.5 seconds to prevent any possibility of a meltdown. In essence to insure that the Russians had a large supply of weapon grade plutonium they put the safety of quite a large swath of the worlds population at risk.

The second guy who was at Chernobyl, a doctor with a background in treating radioactive people, commented in his remarks that the Russians knew too much. He guessed, and mind you this was just his opinion, was that the Russians had to have had other nuclear disasters that the west hasn't heard about yet because of the medical procedures they used in treating people. This doctor was actually in the hospital in Moscow where the most severely radioactive people were located.

One thing both guys agreed on is that the Russians will be paying a human toll of disaster for hundred of years with birth defects, cancer and other diseases caused by exposure to ionizing radiation.

I would love to be alive in 100 years to see what happens with the current dome over the reactor. The site will need safety systems in place for the next 26,000 years. The current domes lifespan expires in 2116. Unfortunately I will be actively working on turning into petroleum and will miss it.

djbradles and silversquirrel like this.
  9. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

I will keep my words short and sweet.

I will say that Russia is a dark and evil country held within a cold, remote, and northern icebox for a reason. It is cursed.

miniion likes this.
  10. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

It was a good series.

11. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

I watched them all last weekend and then rewatched them again over the week. I thought it was excellent. Yes, they had to fill in a lot of blanks and dramatize it to make it watchable but it’s a miniseries, not a documentary and I thought they did a great job.

12. je25ff

je25ff

13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NES Member

What's really interesting is that they had the soldiers wear the late-Soviet uniforms instead of the WWII ones. Few shows/movies where you see that.

14. Dench

Dench

THe RBMK's were designed to run on Uranium that wasn't highly enriched. This way it was cheaper and easier to get and easier to operate and maintain.

Were they built like shit? For sure, this is the 1970's Soviet Union were talking about. Everything they built was shit. It didn't help that their heavy industry was way behind the Wests in terms of casting giant things like containment vessels for something this large.

The Soviets did have other technology that was sorta similar to the Wests, the VVER series, which is still used and being built today.

Regardless, even though the RBMK's were a mess and an accident waiting to happen (and the big boom on #4 wasnt the 1st time the plant had a major problem nor the last) we have to keep in mind that everyone involved inadvertently pushed the reactor into a complete and full meltdown. The person in charge was insane, the crew operating it was meek and under educated in actual nuclear physics and there was zero oversight of the insane person and inept crew. That thing didn't blow it self apart, that's for sure.

15. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

Jesus...

16. Glocklike tendencies

I feel compelled to confess something..... i liked this series so much, i purchased a vintage cold war era civil defense Geiger counter and a survey meter!!........dork! IMG_1044.JPG

eisenhow likes this.
  17. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Those were Mosin Nagants in Ep. 4 during the Paw Patrol routine, right?

Hetzer likes this.
  18. rocket500

rocket500 NES Member

19. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Love the KGB quote from Ep. 5

This ebodies all that Communism stands for:

“Other men, lesser men, will receive credit for the things you’ve done. Your legacy is now their legacy. You’ll live long enough to see that.”

VetteGirlMA likes this.
  20. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Yeah they did a good job with the mosins, the belt pouches and showing them unboxing the ammo and loading via the stripper clips.

21. je25ff

je25ff

Is it just me, or are the prop ammo they used way less loud than an actual Mosin?

22. daekken

daekken NES Member

I imagine the scenes where they were going house to house firing a 91/30 indoors would have caused a good deal of hearing issues.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    djbradles likes this.