Chelsea police officer hit by, shoots at car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firing a shot into a vehicle which appeared to be attempting to run you down.

Generally speaking it's means, opportunity and intent. That would satisfy all three. That said, the other question would be "what the hell were you doing that made a car try to run you down." If you're out there, like the other poster said, trying to make a felony stop, it's going to go badly for you.

The first question always asked is why you were there. Cops too. Did you have a reason to be there and doing what you were doing. If not, you're pretty much screwed no matter how good the shoot would have been otherwise, because you put yourself into the situation in the first place.

i know quite of few leos and jar heads on the the cape that i hang out with,and there mentality is there shtt dont stink owning and carring a firearm is a serious obligation. put the shoe on the foot a civilian would this be accepted i thing not but a leo oh yeah,

Come again? Does that come with a side order of translation? Speak English man![frown]

The other part of the story....

Every one fail to see the part where the officer was sent to the hospital as well??? he prlly rolled off the hood of the vehicle and didnt sustain any injuries (read severe) and as the vehicle was fleeing he fired a round at it striking the rear quarter panel passenger side. Im not sure why this is a huge deal.... course the car could have backed up into him as well. Think about it it was a vehicle stop and he called for backup... most of the time hes behind the vehicle so it prolly did try backing into him. bounced off of trunk popped off one round at fleeing car. either way doesnt seem all that fishy to me....

I don't think u understand use of deadly force...as long as the Officer perceived an ongoing threat to his life, he was justified in use of deadly force. He had to stop the threat and protect the public. Remember, we don't really know the circumstances of this incident. When an Officer must make a decision to use deadly force the "totality of the circumstances" must be considered.

LMAO +1 God I love this forum. Man the little dude eating the popcorn just had me laughing my ass off.

Here we go again... [thinking]

vwt.jpg

stator-php.gif

Last edited:
Cop or not if a car was trying to run him down he has every right to shoot until he was empty.

Would it be different if I did that? Maybe, but that doesn't mean the LEO shouldn't defend himself.

Would it be different if I did that? Maybe, but that doesn't mean the LEO shouldn't defend himself.
Or the rest of us, since that's technically his job in that situation; whether or not the officer's constitutionally required to protect each person individually, it's the job description to serve and protect the public in general.

Suspect in felony? Check.
Violent (felony) assault on officer? Check.
Fleeing felony arrest by a uniformed officer? Check.
Represents continuing violent threat to community? Check.
Justified use of deadly force? Looks like a check to me? (under the Tennessee v Garner standard)

I don't know the law on use of force in MA for LEOs apprehending a violent felon fleeing arrest, but...

Here's a remarkably similar NH scenario for comparison:
http://www.doj.state.nh.us/publications/nreleases2007/091307.html
Officer Tetreault could reasonably believe that Soucie had committed or was committing a felony involving the use of force (first or second degree assault or reckless conduct) by driving his van into two police cruisers and towards Officer Tetreault. In addition, Soucie’s erratic driving, fleeing from the police, hitting two police cruisers, and almost hitting Officer Tetreault, also indicated that Soucie was likely to seriously endanger human life or inflict serious bodily injury unless apprehended without delay.

unless

Exactly...emphasis on side

Not specific to this incident but........The threat to the officer may or may not b been gone if the vehicle is going away but bear in mind that depending upon the situation there may still exist a threat to others if the vehicle were to continue.

Unless, the threat was continuing to the public!

boo hoo another leo over stepping there bounds.just like last year ypd shoot and killed someone driving away were they in danger i think not .a jar head most likely.[rolleyes]

i know quite of few leos and jar heads on the the cape that i hang out with,and there mentality is there shtt dont stink owning and carring a firearm is a serious obligation. put the shoe on the foot a civilian would this be accepted i thing not but a leo oh yeah,

Dude, are you friggin' serious??? First of all, go back and retake 3rd grade grammar and try to pass it this time. Second of all, with regard to the incident on the Cape last year, that illegal immigrant P.O.S. was trying to run the Cops down IIRC, so he definitely deserved to get lit up. Thirdly, you sound like one of those sad souls that probably went out for both the Marines and the Police Department but was turned away, and now just sits behind his computer screen spewing your venomous malcontent for authority figures simply beacause you never made it and now are just bitter and jealous. If you have any aquaintences that you "hang out with" that are veterans of the Marine Corps or Police Officers I think you should tell them exactly how you feel about them, I'm sure they'd be interested in what you have to say, why hold that stuff in big guy??? [wave]

can't answer for derek but i'd shoot someone stealing my car.

i like my car... plus it's kind of... mine.

Then you should read up on the laws and regs in MA regarding lethal force in defense of property. [thinking][hmmm] That's right, there are none because you can't use lethal force to protect property in the state of MA.

Then you should read up on the laws and regs in MA regarding lethal force in defense of property. [thinking][hmmm] That's right, there are none because you can't use lethal force to protect property in the state of MA.

Ah yes, sad but true [crying][sad][angry].

atilla: I think you answered the way you did because you know there are people on this forum who will applaud such bravado. It's easy to play to the masses. But I don't for one minute think you would shoot anyone who was simply taking your 10-year-old Honda Civic from your driveway and not endangering you in the proccess. I see you're a member of GOAL. Don't they teach you anything? Like deadly force is only used when you or yours are being threatened with harm. I like the spunky attitude, but this ain't the Old West anymore. Shoot someone today who isn't trying to hurt you and they'll throw you so far back into a jail cell they'll have to feed you with a slingshot.

you guys are right... when i made the post i forgot what state i lived in for a minute. [rofl]

let me rephrase that: would i like to shoot someone actively stealing my car? hell yes. is that necessarily a good idea? no.

Just had a memory. Maybe this is why I put so little value on material things. I'd never shoot anyone for stealing anything, save for my dogs. When I was about 10 years old my father and me were coming out of Fowle's magazine/soda fountain joint up in Newburyport, Mass. Year was about 1967. We step out the door and there is some scummy looking teenager laying across the front seat of my dad's piece-of-shit VW bug. An old bug. Kid's jamming a screw driver into the ignition trying to make it go. My father walks over and offers the kid the keys. Tells him they should work a hell of a lot better and you won't have to bugger up the key hole. Kid jumps at his voice and snaps to his feet. He's about 5 feet 5. My father is 6 feet and some more. Kid tries to bolt. Dad snatches one pipecleaner arm. Proffers the keys to the kid. No go. Kid just wants to get away. Dad lets him go. I ask my father (on the way home) why he did what he did. He said (and I have never forgotten this) "If that kid needed this car that badly, then he needed it more than I did." This affected me. Never looked at possessions the same way again. A lot of bad things can happen to you in life that are completely out of your control, but to shoot someone over an inanimate object, and to suffer the legal ramifications after, is something that makes no sense at all once you do some serious thinking. Then again, you may not be capable of serious thought. Therein lies the problem.

attila: You seem like a good sport. I just read your edited thoughts. If I COULD shoot everyone who pissed me off, the ammo factories could'nt keep up.

attila: You seem like a good sport. I just read your edited thoughts. If I COULD shoot everyone who pissed me off, the ammo factories could'nt keep up.
It's not just about someone pissing you off, it's about someone stealing your hard earned property. I feel sorry for the guy who tries to steal my car and I catch him in the act as I will probably end up behind bars and him 6' under...

You guys keep using "continuing threat to the public."

If we use that standard for lawful shooting, there's some folks I can think of on Beacon Hill who should be very worried[wink]

NWanner: I simply value human life more highly than you. You want to kill someone over a hunk of iron, go right ahead. I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near you.

It's not just about someone pissing you off, it's about someone stealing your hard earned property. I feel sorry for the guy who tries to steal my car and I catch him in the act as I will probably end up behind bars and him 6' under...

I hope you DO end up behind bars if you do this. We don't execute car thieves and rightfully not. We certainly don't do so without due process.

Mr. Doobie,correct me if I am wrong,but I don't believe it is your job to approach stolen vehicles and attempt to make arrests.Why do some people here keep thinking just because they have carry permits,that they are Quasi Cops?However,maybe I am wrong.[rolleyes]
None of the citizens here think they are cops, however some cops don't think that they are still citizens...

NWanner: I simply value human life more highly than you. You want to kill someone over a hunk of iron, go right ahead. I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near you.
I value human life too. However I don't consider thieves, murderers, etc to share the same human rights that the rest of us do.

I find it frighening to think you actually own a firearm. If it were up to me, I'd take away your "human right" to own a steak knife and leave you with a nothing sharper than a soup spoon. Killing people because they steal stuff....inf***ingcredible. You need help.

John - You must really be fired up... I don't think I have ever heard (read) you swear before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom