• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chelsea police officer hit by, shoots at car

Status
Not open for further replies.

doobie

Banned
Chelsea police officer hit by, shoots at car

A Chelsea police officer shot at a stolen car that struck him on Chester Avenue and then fled Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

According to Chelsea police Captain Keith Houghton, the off-duty officer was driving to work and wearing his police uniform when he came upon a white 1999 Honda Civic that had been reported stolen out of Revere on Friday.

He stopped and called for backup, but the car took off and allegedly swerved toward the officer, who was approaching the allegedly stolen car on foot, police said.

The officer fired a single shot into the rear passenger side of the Civic.

It is not known of any of the occupants -- believed to be two men and a women -- were struck by the officer's bullet.

The officer was not seriously injured but taken to Massachusetts General Hospital as a precaution.

Houghton would not release his name but said he was a 17-year veteran of the force. He said the department is investigating the shooting.

“Initially we believe he was justified but it’s still under investigation,” Houghton said. “The car attempted to run him down, it appears right now.”

Chelsea police have alerted area hospitals to be on the lookout for walk-in shooting victims, he said.

I wonder how justified you or I would have been...

Too bad he didn't have an AR, if you steal a car you deserve a bullet or ten.

Firing a shot into a vehicle which appeared to be attempting to run you down.

Seriously,I would move the hell out of the way.

I usually don't carry my AR around loaded with 855 that would effectively and accurately penetrate glass or sheet metal and kill the driver of a moving vehicle.So firing at a vehicle would be a waste of ammo unless it was not moving.

I mean you could get lucky with a pistol and score a hit if you empty a couple of mags into the front windshield..but it would be a waste of ammo,and I hate to waste ammo[smile]

Last edited:
boo hoo another leo over stepping there bounds.just like last year ypd shoot and killed someone driving away were they in danger i think not .a jar head most likely.[rolleyes]

Right off of Bellingham Square, the place they would put the tube if they were to give the world an enema.

Lots of trouble over there....

i know quite of few leos and jar heads on the the cape that i hang out with,and there mentality is there shtt dont stink owning and carring a firearm is a serious obligation. put the shoe on the foot a civilian would this be accepted i thing not but a leo oh yeah,

Maybe, maybe not. IMO it's more accepted when LEO's do it because it actually happens quite often. When was the last time you heard about Joe Smith having a stolen car come at him trying to run him over and Joe returning fire?

He watched him break in and steal it?

I've watched a carjacking at point blank it does happen.

Too bad he didn't have an AR, if you steal a car you deserve a bullet or ten.

Keep in mind that since LEOs are exempt from the hi-cap ban, why should he stop at 10? Give them all 20/30 rds! [wink] [laugh]

P.S. I hope the LEO is a Marine and made his shot count!

It says he fired one round into the rear windshield. I wonder if they tried to run him over in reverse or if they were driving away. Either way I say plug 'em full of holes. I have no sympathy for car jackers and I'd gladly stand infront of my own car and light it the 'F up if I catch someone trying to steal it [laugh]

It says he fired one round into the rear windshield. I wonder if they tried to run him over in reverse or if they were driving away. Either way I say plug 'em full of holes. I have no sympathy for car jackers and I'd gladly stand infront of my own car and light it the 'F up if I catch someone trying to steal it [laugh]

i've seen your car, i don't think you have to worry about that... oh and they wouldn't get far anyway. [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
boo hoo another leo over stepping there bounds.just like last year ypd shoot and killed someone driving away were they in danger i think not .a jar head most likely.[rolleyes]

How exactly is that over stepping bounds?

The next time someone tries to run me down I'll just offer them some tea and a hug.

Looking at the information it all seems reasonable to me, and obviously quite a few others here.

Also it would appear that since the Officer was in full uniform going to work and called for backup beforehand that some sense was used as well. I don't see this as some wacko just shooting up a car for no reason.

Hmm

I think most civilians who were defending themselves and fired a shot would probably not report it, at least i don't think i would as a civilian, but then again i am a leo. That officer had every right to fire the shot, he had no way of knowing if that vehicle was returning.

"The officer fired a single shot into the rear passenger side of the Civic."

?

just like last year ypd shoot and killed someone driving away were they in danger i think not

Please...if you are going to reference an incident at least reference it correctly. The officer did not fire at the vehicle while going away.[rolleyes]

And please, if you are going to bad mouth a LEO without knowing all the facts, Kan u at leest lern how to spell and youse grammer corectally so you don't sound like some uneducated punk with a beef against the police and our military?

Don't know the MA law on this, but in many states an officer is justified in using deadly force to stop the flight of a violent felon who presents a danger to the community at large.

Anyone notice that the bullet hit the rear passenger side? There are lots of ways that statement in the news article can be interpreted, but lets assume for a moment it is accurately reported and the entry is in the rear. So assuming that, how is it you are defending yourself from a speeding car if you are able to shoot into the back. One possible way is if it was in reverse. But... Everyone's feelings about summarily executing thieves aside, the rules of deadly force would seem to be clear, once the actual threat is gone, you no longer have a green light to fire. If the car already passed him, seems like the imminent threat has passed, no pun intended.

Edit: I should refresh just before I start typing. Seems like I wasn't the only one who noticed...

Last edited:
Anyone notice that the bullet hit the rear passenger side?

Exactly...emphasis on side

how is it you are defending yourself from a speeding car if you are able to shoot into the back. One possible way is if it was in reverse. But... Everyone's feelings about summarily executing thieves aside, the rules of deadly force would seem to be clear, once the actual threat is gone, you no longer have a green light to fire. If the car already passed him, seems like the imminent threat has passed, no pun intended.

Not specific to this incident but........The threat to the officer may or may not b been gone if the vehicle is going away but bear in mind that depending upon the situation there may still exist a threat to others if the vehicle were to continue.

Here we go again... [thinking]

vwt.jpg

stator-php.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom