Cheif determining suitability for LTC

So I'm trying to convince my whole family, immediate and extended, to get their licenses with me. So far only my wife and brother have agreed (the wife grudgingly). As it turns out my brother has 2 misdemeanor charges on his record. One for selling paraphernalia which I think is irrelevant (glass pipes at a Phish concert for a store he worked at in NH) and the other I think was a possession charge when he was in high school (over 10 years ago) which is relevant to question 5 on the firearms application. Given that they are misdemeanors would he be denied out right for answering yes on 5 or just restricted from ALP for suitability reasons?

For myself I don't have a criminal record but I did have my license suspended for failing to pay a fine. Not normally a concern but I didn't know about the suspension until 4 years after the fact when I tried to get my license in a new state. That got me thinking, what if for some reason some state (I travel a lot for work) decided to suspend my license or found me guilty of something trivial in absentia like running a toll in a rental car and issued a bench warrant (unlikely for a traffic violation I know but hypothetically speaking) how is the best way to go about finding out if there were an outstanding warrant somewhere? I know I'm probably being overly paranoid but with the "knowingly providing false information" warning on the application and a denial being almost a permanent mark against me I can't help it.

Hiring a lawyer specializing in firearms law is the ONLY way to go. When it comes to suitability, nothing and everything matters to the COP.

Contact Cross-X or jcohen on the forums here, they are both fantastic firearms lawyers.

So I'm trying to convince my whole family, immediate and extended, to get their licenses with me. So far only my wife and brother have agreed (the wife grudgingly). As it turns out my brother has 2 misdemeanor charges on his record. One for selling paraphernalia which I think is irrelevant (glass pipes at a Phish concert for a store he worked at in NH) and the other I think was a possession charge when he was in high school (over 10 years ago) which is relevant to question 5 on the firearms application. Given that they are misdemeanors would he be denied out right for answering yes on 5 or just restricted from ALP for suitability reasons?

For myself I don't have a criminal record but I did have my license suspended for failing to pay a fine. Not normally a concern but I didn't know about the suspension until 4 years after the fact when I tried to get my license in a new state. That got me thinking, what if for some reason some state (I travel a lot for work) decided to suspend my license or found me guilty of something trivial in absentia like running a toll in a rental car and issued a bench warrant (unlikely for a traffic violation I know but hypothetically speaking) how is the best way to go about finding out if there were an outstanding warrant somewhere? I know I'm probably being overly paranoid but with the "knowingly providing false information" warning on the application and a denial being almost a permanent mark against me I can't help it.

I believe your brother is disqualified here in this state if those charges were actually convictions and you may or may not have a problem depending on what crap the CLEO thinks is appropriate or not. What is clearly not going to help you is guilt by association. I would think twice about having your brother apply (if he decides to) at the same time as you. No telling how that will play out in suitability.

I believe your brother is disqualified here in this state if those charges were actually convictions and you may or may not have a problem depending on what crap the CLEO thinks is appropriate or not. What is clearly not going to help you is guilt by association. I would think twice about having your brother apply (if he decides to) at the same time as you. No telling how that will play out in suitability.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking the same and I will be talking to a lawyer at some point about this anyways, just posted in case anyone had any insight. As far as guilt by association given my family in general my brother's issues pale in comparison to some of my cousins issues one of which I share not only my last name but my first name as well.

+1 on consulting a lawyer - but not just any lawyer!! The two mentioned by Boston, above, have far greater experience and knowledge of firearms-related issues.

You can be denied for having a bad hair day. I have seen this happen to people. They get denied for no good reason; for things they were never convicted of or were expunged. It comes down to wheather or not your licensing officer issues the LTC to anyone.
They have to issue you an FID if you qualify. It may take 8 weeks, but that is the PRM.

Back
Top Bottom