• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Checkmate brand magazines. Your opinon?

Anyone have them or have used them? What were your impressions on them?

Thank you.
Acme Armament

Had them for 1911 in 45 and 9MM. Never a problem. I believe they make for several firearm manufacturers for 45

The mags with the removable base pads were the best IIRC

Edit to add model number of mag CM45-8-S-RB

Last edited:
Don't have any first hand knowledge but there were a lot of complaints on the Sig Forum about them when Sig started using them as their factory issued mags with new pistols.

Anyone have them or have used them? What were your impressions on them?

Thank you.
Acme Armament

Checkmate was the contractor for M9 magazines for a good portion of the 90s and early 2000s. Those mags blew chunks. Weak mag springs and thick parkerizing on the interior of the mag body led to very many malfunctions.

Checkmate made a huge batch of garbage mags that the military got for the Beretta M9/92FS, but other than that debacle, haven't heard much about the company.

-Mike

7rd checkmate came with my SW1911SC E Series new in box. It's the only flawless mag that I have. My 8 round mag has feeding issues with the 1911, but I have no idea what brand that is.

Meh. I prefer Mec-Gar. The Sig Checkmate mags are pretty obviously lesser quality. They just feel cheap and flimsy compared to the Mec-Gar ones.

Besides the already mentioned Checkmate mess with the M9, a lot of Dan Wesson owners have had issues with the supplied 8rd mags in their 1911's. I personally haven't had an issue with mine, however I usually use CMC Power10 mags.

Meh. I prefer Mec-Gar. The Sig Checkmate mags are pretty obviously lesser quality. They just feel cheap and flimsy compared to the Mec-Gar ones.

I haven't checked recently but Mec-Gar stopped making the 10 round mags a while back. The only Sig mag you could get in ten was the Checkmate. I hope that's changed.

I haven't checked recently but Mec-Gar stopped making the 10 round mags a while back. The only Sig mag you could get in ten was the Checkmate. I hope that's changed.

I don't know, I don't buy crippled mags. [grin]

I have a half-dozen for the M1A and they run flawlessly. I also have a couple older USGI and cannot tell the difference. Not only are they current USGI contract but IIRC, they have the contract for all the SAI mags which are excellent (even people who don't like SAI agree to that).

Are the new Sigs, circa 2012, made by Checkmate? I think I do recall reading somewhere that at some point they did replace MecGar and that Sig was having significant issues with the Checkmate
replacement. I have 1000 rounds through my new sig(s) with no issues. The mags seems of decent quality, actually. Of course, WTF do I know - I'm a noooooooob.

Two came with my new Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm, and both cause problems with the gun. Had to change to Kimber 9mm mags to get rid of the problems i was having.

Back
Top Bottom