checking reciepts at wal mart

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At the Gardner Walmart today - still up to the BS. Very slow day, I went through self check (as they have no cashiers). I get hit up on the way out: “I just need to check your receipt real quick” and puts her hand out. Me, “No thank you” and kept on walking. She looked a bit miffed and mumbled something about having to do something and walking back to the stand. I just kept going.

Simple, easy nothing crazy.

Bob

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m aware, I have been in the industry for over a decade now. Like I stated in the original post the store employees aren’t the ones initiating the stops.

You and I both know you can’t control how police act in those situations. I can recount several instances where PD went off and did their own thing and detained/cuffed people prior to them even shoplifting to avoid dealing with the actual shoplifting.

Point being if someone (store personnel) is stopping someone solely on concealment in MA they either work for a small mom and pop shop or are a “cowboy”.
Interesting.

Some years ago, a general contractor was in Lowes, and was shopping, and placed something in his pocket or shirt. One of the items was a pencil, that he put in his shirt pocket. I don't recall the state that this occurred in. Lowes employees called the police, said the dude had shoplifted the items, and the police walked up to the guy and arrested him in the store. I cannot find the case since my google fu skills fail me right now, but maybe one of our law students are shark lawyers can chime in to confirm this and provide a citation.

Lowes lost the case, and paid the dude a lot of money. Case essentially revolved around the fact that the contractor said that he intended to pay for the pencil. didn't have a cart or a basket, so put it in his pocket until he was done and went to a register. He was arrested before he could even attempt to pay for the items. By the store's rationale, anyone holding any product is a shoplifter.

You can't shoplift while in the store. If I put stuff in my pocket because i didn't grab a basket, it isn't theft until I leave the store. There's no law that says i must put my selections in a basket or cart.

A buddy of mine, an engineer by trade, so pretty scruffy looking and only showered or washed clothes every few weeks, got stopped in a Stop and Shop AFTER he had gone through the checkout and before he left the store. He had gone through self checkout and had forgotten to scan two packs of batteries. Store employees grilled him for 10 minutes and said they had called the police. My buddy offered to pay, saying he had simply forgotten. After 10 minutes, no police arrived, so my buddy told them to have a nice day. He never heard from the police or Stop and Shop, and they refused his money for the batteries. So, free batteries. I suspect that if they had called the police, he'd have been fine.

Btw, for you criminally minded folks, in Massachusetts, you can walk out of any Lowes with anything you want. No employee will stop you. They will call the police though. Maybe get your tag if they can. It's store policy. They had so many problems at the Worcester Lowes, that there used to be a Worcester cruiser just sitting in the parking lot to deter the theft and arrive on scene faster.

Further advice for you shoplifting minded folks, have enough money on you to pay for the stuff you're stealing. if stopped, be nice, feign ignorance when accused and then remember. "oh yeah, I forgot to take off the pants I tried on before putting my original pants back on. Silly me, let me pay for these, I really like them."

And interestingly, my local Walmart just instituted this policy during peak hours last week. Wife and I politely declined when asked to show a receipt when leaving. So, timely 10 year old post. Good necro thread.

Top Bottom