checking reciepts at wal mart

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have they ever caught anyone stealing this way? If so, what did they do?
No, not directly through checking receipts, they simply aren't allowed too. The door greeter could actually lose their job for trying to detain someone.

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just remember, it is a two way street. They shouldn't be rude and give the paying customer a hard time either.
This is true, and I would encourage anyone that is truly hassled by a door greeter/receipt checker to ask to speak to a Co-manager, Store Manager, or the Asset Protection manager, because that is the kind of shit that gets Wal-Mart sued and makes prices go up for all of us. Don't accept talking to a head cashier or zone or dept manager, they have no power and don't know a lot of the policies surrounding external theft and liability.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I don't live far from BJ's so it's rare I have a lot in the cart. I simply make sure as I'm putting items in, the UPC code is facing up. Then, when I get to the self check, I don't even move anything. I just take the hand scanner and start firing away. It can scan FAR faster than the register calls out the prices. No more waiting for the item to pass down the belt. No fussing with stuff building up at the end. When done, the receipt has a nice big item count. I simply count UPCs and verify that I have the same number. On one occasion I came out with a different number. I checked the receipt and sure enough I missed something. Quick log in and scan. Showed up at the door with 2 receipts and just said "I missed one." The guy who's been at the door since the place opened just smiled and marked off the receipts.

I have seen him catch people. And you'd never realize how skilled they are until it happens. He looked at the receipt, the wagon for about a second and then said to the woman: "I think you missed something. You might want to go verify" I don't know if she was scamming or honestly missed an item. I handed my receipt, he glanced at my cart and marked it.

I did ask him once on a slow day if he catches people often. "Every single day. It's not all that hard once you know what to look for. A few are honest errors and I treat every single person as if it was an error. The fun starts when they insist I'm wrong."

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
I guess it varies by location. At the Northboro location it is members only gas, you need your card to activate the pump.
Interesting. I didn't know that they had different rules for different locations! The signage at the Norwood station shows 2 prices/fuel.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Years ago I was accosted at the door by a Guitar Center employee. I very politely declined and kept walking. And the chase began. He was a very ill tempered young whipper snapper...

Him: It's store policy I check your receipt and goods
Me: I own these goods and don't need to be checked.
Him: You can't do this.
Me: Sure I can. Watch me.
Him: I'll call the police!
Me: Go ahead.
Him: I'll take down your plate number and get the police to investigate.
Me: Good luck with that... I'm walking.

There's an old adage about don't mess with old guys. The look on his face was priceless. And I've never shopped there again.

Not only do I get better prices online, no one ask me for a receipt and I get good delivered to my door!

:)

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
An MBA somewhere has determined via spreadsheet that having the receipts checked somehow reduced expenses.
Soft costs like lost customer satisfaction and loyalty are not factored into those spreadsheets.

Decades go I sat in a high level meeting at a bank I can't name. I was the consulting computer guy who helped them generate numbers. I'd pass these numbers off to an MBA who would do P&L analysis on business deals they were considering.

There were of course assumptions made in their analyses. Things like percentage of members who would agree to these services. Predictions of increased revenues and profitability and such. Way above my pay grade.

During the meeting it became obvious that the top two guys at the bank wanted to do this deal. They asked me some mundane questions about the values I had provided based upon the large data set they had. I had double and triple checked it so I was quite comfortable in the accuracy. In fact I had used a couple different applications to do the calcs as a cross check. Hell, I didn't want to be blamed for the bank losing millions or more because of bad math.

I really think the MBA's put reasonable estimates on the calculations. And it showed the deal was not profitable.

But the big guys sat there and said what if we increase the assumption of 5% customer adoption to 10%? And what if we think the adopting customers will spend 50% more than you predict. Lookie there... the deal is profitable.

Great analysis, guys. We're doing this! Turns out there were some competitive advantages to doing this deal. But they insisted on making up numbers that they could use to defend the deal to the board of directors.

And now the end of the story... the bank is out of business now. Imagine that! And I suspect that's how business around the world is often conducted.

:)

Rich

No, not directly through checking receipts, they simply aren't allowed too. The door greeter could actually lose their job for trying to detain someone.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... security ...is ruthless. ... One of these days I'm just going to carry my largest handgun in one of those re-usable sacks and then load my groceries into it as well. He'll get a fun surprise when he checks my receipt and bag. ...
You might also get a surprise after that.

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Don't count on this. Wal-Mart Asset Protection often does "stings" in high theft stores, which is pretty much any super center in or near a city, and they will pay to have a city cop on duty in the camera room with them for many of these. Sometimes the police officer will go arrest them right on the floor. I worked for them and personally assisted with apprehending people for "shoplifting by concealment" quite a few times, in more than one city. They also bring in more asset protection people to work the store.
I’m aware, I have been in the industry for over a decade now. Like I stated in the original post the store employees aren’t the ones initiating the stops.

You and I both know you can’t control how police act in those situations. I can recount several instances where PD went off and did their own thing and detained/cuffed people prior to them even shoplifting to avoid dealing with the actual shoplifting.

Point being if someone (store personnel) is stopping someone solely on concealment in MA they either work for a small mom and pop shop or are a “cowboy”.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of membership clubs...

A coworker is a big fan of BJ's. The nearest one is about 90 miles away, so she does a monthly trip, but I have never been to one.

One day when Darling Daughter was about 25, she and I happened to be in that town. When we drove past, I said, "Oh, there's BJ's!"

DD: "I didn't know you were looking for BJ's."
Me: "Well, I'm a guy, so..."
DD: "EWWWW!!! STAAAAHHP!!! OMIGOD!!!"

And that's how you parent. ;)

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When my firstborn was about four months old, I took her with me to BJs to get diaper and all the rest. She was in her car seat in the cart so I couldn’t see the basket.
I scanned all my stuff, went through the old lady who punched my receipt and got to my car to realize the cart was empty. I forgot to take the stuff off the belt. (Firstborn. Four months old. At least I didn’t leave her in the store)
I went back in and asked what the lady was looking at when she punched my receipt. Two cashiers were looking at $250 worth of crap that was just abandoned wondering wtf.
It was good for a laugh, but I don’t think anyone is paying attention.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Practice the lines "Am I free to go?", "Am I in your custody or am I free to go?", "Am I your prisoner or am I free to go?", "I do not agree to remain here voluntarily, but will remain and wait for police if you tell me that I am in your custody". Then watch the mental wheels spin as they try to figure out how to answer.

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Big smile, loud voice, "Good Afternoon!" (if evening) or "Good Evening!" (if afternoon) or "Good Night!" (if morning). If they call after you, cup your hand to your ear and no matter what they say, glance at your wrist (whether or not you wear a watch) and tell them the time, then proceed. If you don't wear a watch, this technique works especially well, but you have to pre-check the time before you come into their view.

And if you can, fart loudly as you walk.
Turn toward the checker and challenge him to do better!!

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That guy is not security, he is a door greeter. Asset Protection for Wal-Mart/Target never does receipt checks, it's against their apprehension policies. There's no reason to be rude to the door greeters, many of them are special needs and/or elderly persons. If it's a contract security guard, like Securitas, they are usually not supposed to do anything or interact with customers unless approached, most of the time they are only there for parking lot security or to discourage loitering.
This dude stands at the exit door like a bouncer and his name tag reads "Security". About a year ago he stopped me in the middle of the store after I paid for an iphone case in the electronics section and was headed for the exit.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't stop for the Walmart receipt checkers. I do stop for the checker at Costco because it's part of the membership agreement. But get this. I bring a cooler bag with me, usually with some ice packs in the bottom. I might also on a good day remember a bag for the non cold foods. I always leave the zipper unzipped, unless it's hot and there's a line, or unzip it as it's my turn. They have NEVER ONCE actually looked through the bag. I can stack about 5 packs of the chicken triple packs in my cooler bag when I have my ice blocks in there. How do they know I haven't hid the butter in there as well?

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This dude stands at the exit door like a bouncer and his name tag reads "Security". About a year ago he stopped me in the middle of the store after I paid for an iphone case in the electronics section and was headed for the exit.
You should ask to speak to the store manager if the guy bothers you again. If he is loss prevention he is very badly violating Target's policies, he could actually lose his job if he did what you say. I know Target's LP policies really well.

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
I'm less concerned about the LP aspect of it, just walk by they can't put their hands on you. I have more of an issue with them either not putting something in my bag or not spinning the carousel and not getting a bag both of which have happened in the last month.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm less concerned about the LP aspect of it, just walk by they can't put their hands on you. I have more of an issue with them either not putting something in my bag or not spinning the carousel and not getting a bag both of which have happened in the last month.
Back when DVD's were still a thing (before streaming) I'd bought a bunch of them at a WM. They got left behind on the carousel. Got home minus about $150 in movies. I had to go back and fortunately someone had been honest enough to set them aside.

Top Bottom