checking reciepts at wal mart

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
WM has never tried this on me. Restaurant Depot and BJ's do and I generally tolerate it. Once or twice the ticket checker was backed up at BJ's and I went past them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, now it is a battle between geriatric Walmart workers and a guy with neck and finger tattoos.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed WallyWorld started doing this nonsense just before Thanksgiving around here. I am used to the door checkers at BJ's and I walk right by if there are people waiting for their complimentary probing. Sometimes the door person will call out to me, "I need to see your receipt!" I ignore them or simply reply "No, thanks."

Sometimes when I walk by they put their hand out for my receipt, I'll simply hand it to them and keep walking. (If I don't need it)

They are only doing their job, but like the multi-gender foolishness, don't expect me to go along with it!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I walk past them. When asked I've said "no", or held it out but not for their inspection. This is not my legal opinion, but once the transaction was completed the items purchased became my property and I do not subject myself to an inspection of my personal property when leaving a store. Honestly, I dare them to challenge me. I could use the payday.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are only doing their job
I get that, and I do not give them any disrespect, but there is no legal basis for them to demand a review of your receipt that I am aware of. If there is any belief that a customer engaged in shoplifting based on an employee's first hand observation of a customer secreting merchandise and exiting past all points of sale then there are appropriate remedies. However, this new thing that Walmart has going on only works if everyone complies which nobody has an obligation to.

BrianWilson

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got checked at Wally World past weekend. Started to defend my honor and liberty, then realized I was just being an a hole. I'm guessing if I need to prop up my ego I should go looking for someone my own size, not some old man or single mom who's just trying to put food on the table, and undoubtedly could really give less than 2 sh ts about whats in my bag.
Humility has always been really tough for me, and seems it must be one of things that's a step along the road to enlightenment. In the end I guess I'm thankful for the opportunity to practice some.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back in 2000 Mary Ball filed a civil suit in US District Court against Walmart regarding receipt check. Her legal fee's must have topped $15K at a minimum.
Court let defamation and false imprisonment counts proceed. Apparently geezer, i mean greeter stood in front of her cart and she couldn't leave.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
WM has never tried this on me. Restaurant Depot and BJ's do and I generally tolerate it. Once or twice the ticket checker was backed up at BJ's and I went past them.
I think at those clubs you have to as part of your membership agreement.

Generally speaking I think the stores do more receipt checking around the holidays.

The Costco lady at the door as you enter gets all annoyed with me as I refuse to show my membership card when I enter. You are NOT required to have a membership to shop there. There are services you can use without a membership and I think you can shop but pay more than members pay.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The security guy at the Taunton Target is ruthless. Asks me every single time. One of these days I'm just going to carry my largest handgun in one of those re-usable sacks and then load my groceries into it as well. He'll get a fun surprise when he checks my receipt and bag.

Back around 2005, leaving a Wal-Mart was the first time I was ever asked for a receipt. The dude let me get way past him, out into the vestibule, and then started with the "Sir, Sir, Sir" crap so I turned around and threw the bag at him. Of course, my gf got pissed at ME.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I walk past them. When asked I've said "no", or held it out but not for their inspection. This is not my legal opinion, but once the transaction was completed the items purchased became my property and I do not subject myself to an inspection of my personal property when leaving a store. Honestly, I dare them to challenge me. I could use the payday.
Good luck with that.

While most Costco shoppers abide by the policy, even if they don’t like it, confrontations with receipt checkers aren’t unheard of. An Oregon man named Timothy Wells broke his leg when he got into a fight with a Costco employee after trying to leave the store without showing his receipt. He sued the store for $610,000, but a jury awarded him nothing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess my only thing would be that the cashier was the one who let me pass, after paying them money. Why do I need to visit with ANOTHER employee after that?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Walmart local to me is a crap hole anyway. If they do start this silliness they'll lose the three or four visits they get from me annually.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From what I understand, this is mainly done so that I can't go to my "friend's" checkout line and they just let me slip without actually paying for some stuff. Of course if the door person is also in cahoots with the cashier.................................................................

I.E. it is an INTERNAL THEFT they are trying to check for.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I've been asked, regardless of the store, I give them the 👍 and keep walking.

Can you still shop at BJ's and pay the extra if you don't have a membership?
You can buy alcohol at club price w/o a membership, but anything else is 20% above price using a one day guest pass from the customer service desk.

Whiskeywon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Back in 2000 Mary Ball filed a civil suit in US District Court against Walmart regarding receipt check. Her legal fee's must have topped $15K at a minimum.
Court let defamation and false imprisonment counts proceed. Apparently geezer, i mean greeter stood in front of her cart and she couldn't leave.
I was about to ask if it was this Walmart. But then remembered that was the orange Walmart. hahaha Have you been stopped by a Walmart greeter in the Massachusetts area? Then you too may be entitled to compensation. Too damn funny. Though I noticed he has not signed on since that posting.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
You can buy alcohol at club price w/o a membership, but anything else is 20% above price using a one day guest pass from the customer service desk.
Last I recall it was 5% upcharge.

Also I am told (in MA anyway, don't know about NH) that certain products (Rx, etc.) must be available to all (non-members included) without upcharging. Never tested that. I'm a member of all 3 clubs and they are all local to me in NH. Different clubs are better on different products that we use. I'm not a real big fan of BJ's (I've been a member of Sam's and Costco for >20 yrs each), but they did have a patio table/chairs set we liked for a very good sale price this year.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Hmm, I wonder if that might have been the case in the legal papers I once served that particular Wal-Mart many years ago?? [No I don't read them or remember almost any of the cases I serve.]

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I recall it was 5% upcharge.

Also I am told (in MA anyway, don't know about NH) that certain products (Rx, etc.) must be available to all (non-members included) without upcharging. Never tested that. I'm a member of all 3 clubs and they are all local to me in NH. Different clubs are better on different products that we use. I'm not a real big fan of BJ's (I've been a member of Sam's and Costco for >20 yrs each), but they did have a patio table/chairs set we liked for a very good sale price this year.
This is from the most recent search, no date, at the Northboro location. I was wrong in previous post.

What is a One Day Shopping Pass?
A One Day Shopping Pass is a special Pass that allows non-members to experience BJ’s Club shopping for a full day. Click on the “One Day Pass” link in the footer of BJs.com or obtain a Pass at the Member Services Desk in-Club. Non-members are required to have a Pass in order to purchase goods from BJ’s Clubs.

Unless otherwise specified, all One Day Shopping Passes carry a 15% non-member surcharge over and above BJ’s listed prices on all merchandise except alcohol. A paid BJ’s Membership is required to purchase gasoline or diesel fuel at all BJ’s Gas® Stations. If you purchase a BJ’s Membership within 7 days of using your Pass, your non-member surcharge will be applied toward the Membership fee when you present your original receipt from your initial purchase at the Member Services Desk. Pay with cash, Visa®, BJ’s Visa® Card, MasterCard® Card, American Express®, Discover® Network, debit cards or EBT. Sorry, no checks.

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When you become a member at BJ's or Costco, or a Sam's Club, you enter into a contract, in the form of a membership agreement, that states you will allow them to check your receipt. It's not optional, they can terminate your membership over it.

I used to work Asset Protection for Wal-Mart, I can confirm with first hand knowledge the receipt checkers/door greeters have no authority to stop you or say anything, they are simply there as a deterrent. You may say "No thanks" and walk right on by. Just don't be rude, they are only there to collect a pay check, no reason to give them a hard time.

Last edited:

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The security guy at the Taunton Target is ruthless. Asks me every single time. One of these days I'm just going to carry my largest handgun in one of those re-usable sacks and then load my groceries into it as well. He'll get a fun surprise when he checks my receipt and bag.

Back around 2005, leaving a Wal-Mart was the first time I was ever asked for a receipt. The dude let me get way past him, out into the vestibule, and then started with the "Sir, Sir, Sir" crap so I turned around and threw the bag at him. Of course, my gf got pissed at ME.
That guy is not security, he is a door greeter. Asset Protection for Wal-Mart/Target never does receipt checks, it's against their apprehension policies. There's no reason to be rude to the door greeters, many of them are special needs and/or elderly persons. If it's a contract security guard, like Securitas, they are usually not supposed to do anything or interact with customers unless approached, most of the time they are only there for parking lot security or to discourage loitering.

Last edited:

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
This is from the most recent search, no date, at the Northboro location. I was wrong in previous post.

What is a One Day Shopping Pass?
A One Day Shopping Pass is a special Pass that allows non-members to experience BJ’s Club shopping for a full day. Click on the “One Day Pass” link in the footer of BJs.com or obtain a Pass at the Member Services Desk in-Club. Non-members are required to have a Pass in order to purchase goods from BJ’s Clubs.

Unless otherwise specified, all One Day Shopping Passes carry a 15% non-member surcharge over and above BJ’s listed prices on all merchandise except alcohol. A paid BJ’s Membership is required to purchase gasoline or diesel fuel at all BJ’s Gas® Stations. If you purchase a BJ’s Membership within 7 days of using your Pass, your non-member surcharge will be applied toward the Membership fee when you present your original receipt from your initial purchase at the Member Services Desk. Pay with cash, Visa®, BJ’s Visa® Card, MasterCard® Card, American Express®, Discover® Network, debit cards or EBT. Sorry, no checks.
The bolded part is not true these days. The BJ's gas stations that I have used (Franklin, Quincy, Norwood) all have 2-tier pricing. Non-members pay 5cents more/gallon for gas/diesel. Costco/Sam's Club both only sell gas to members.

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Concealment is a crime in Massachusetts. But there aren't big box stores (Wal Mart) included that will stop you and accuse you of theft based on that.

Edit: However there are plenty of Police in MA that will.

If they were trained correctly and don't work for cowboys they would tell the customer to have a nice day.
Don't count on this. Wal-Mart Asset Protection often does "stings" in high theft stores, which is pretty much any super center in or near a city, and they will pay to have a city cop on duty in the camera room with them for many of these. Sometimes the police officer will go arrest them right on the floor. I worked for them and personally assisted with apprehending people for "shoplifting by concealment" quite a few times, in more than one city. They also bring in more asset protection people to work the store.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work Asset Protection for Wal-Mart, I can confirm with first hand knowledge the receipt checkers/door greeters have no authority to stop you or say anything, they are simply there as a deterrent. You may say "No thanks" and walk right on by. Just don't be rude, they are only there to collect a pay check, no reason to give them a hard time.
Just remember, it is a two way street. They shouldn't be rude and give the paying customer a hard time either.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bolded part is not true these days. The BJ's gas stations that I have used (Franklin, Quincy, Norwood) all have 2-tier pricing. Non-members pay 5cents more/gallon for gas/diesel. Costco/Sam's Club both only sell gas to members.
I guess it varies by location. At the Northboro location it is members only gas, you need your card to activate the pump.

Top Bottom