checking reciepts at wal mart

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Concealment is a crime in Massachusetts. But there aren't big box stores (Wal Mart) included that will stop you and accuse you of theft based on that.

Edit: However there are plenty of Police in MA that will.

Can you tell us how you were trained to handle a situation where a customer said "no", and furthermore told you he was not going to remain at the store unless you informed him he was being placed into custody?

This reminds me of a fundamental issue in gun rights: Is a person required to prove they are suitable to own a gun, or is the government required they are not in order to deny that right? Do stores need a reason to stop an accuse someone of shoplifting, or is it the obligation of the shopper to prove they have not committed this crime?
If they were trained correctly and don't work for cowboys they would tell the customer to have a nice day.

Last edited:

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Are you kidding me? They want to see that you paid. Show them. No harm, no foul.
[bs2][bs]
Sorry, I decline. See Rob's post below (now above) on the procedure if they think I'm shoplifting. I just say "No thanks," and keep walking. As I said earlier in this thread-that-spans-years, the only caveat to that policy is when the receipt-checker is an old lady/gent. In that case, childhood training kicks in, and I can't bring myself to be rude.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Are you kidding me? They want to see that you paid. Show them. No harm, no foul.
[bs2][bs]

7300BAB0-5254-44D4-B1C6-2DD324E34773.jpeg

We’ve been arguing about this for a decade. Some of us are a holes who have issues with authority in general, and telling the Walmart greeter to pound sand is a great way to get out our frustrations without ending up in jail.

Also, “no, make me” works when they want to see your receipt.

I’ve got a bad habit since I picked up in the military, don’t tell me I “have to” do something that isn’t required. I’ll go to all kinds of trouble and inconvenience myself to do something someone incorrectly told me was unauthorized.

groundscrapers

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yea I get asked almost regularly at the springfield and chicopee walmarts. I just say no or all set and walk on by. They can't force me to stop unless the believe I have stolen something and in that case loss prevention will be all over it already, not the 80yo greeter in velcro shoes.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Tis' the season

I was at Walmart in Gardner today - quick run for soda & cookies (expecting a snow day for the kids) and then on to Duguays Chicken. Busy as all hell - I parked out in the back corner and it had all kinds of loose carts so I dragged 2 back in. I noticed on the way in the receipt checking is back, line of 4-5 people with carts standing like good little sheep as the snow starts to fall. I get my stuff, pay at the self-check and out I go. Only 2 carts waiting for check, I just go right around them and out.

As I was checking out, I noticed the checker giving the stop signal to people and lining up everyone - good luck with that.

Seriously, why would anyone wait? They got rid of almost all the cashiers and I need to wait for people who can't run the dang things. Now they expect people to wait around for this foolishness?

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ah
Tis' the season

I was at Walmart in Gardner today - quick run for soda & cookies (expecting a snow day for the kids) and then on to Duguays Chicken. Busy as all hell - I parked out in the back corner and it had all kinds of loose carts so I dragged 2 back in. I noticed on the way in the receipt checking is back, line of 4-5 people with carts standing like good little sheep as the snow starts to fall. I get my stuff, pay at the self-check and out I go. Only 2 carts waiting for check, I just go right around them and out.

As I was checking out, I noticed the checker giving the stop signal to people and lining up everyone - good luck with that.

Seriously, why would anyone wait? They got rid of almost all the cashiers and I need to wait for people who can't run the dang things. Now they expect people to wait around for this foolishness?
Ahhh, Duguays that place never gets old, the best! Except for getting rid of the old spicy chicken wings after their fire.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
And at their Samsclub, they don't allow Debit/Credit cards to be used as credit. I only used it as credit. Complained to an employee and she taught me the workaround--slide the card in with chip out and cancel the transaction when it fails. Do this three times, then swipe the card. Now you can use it as a credit card. F that. I just use my AmEx, take the points and let walmart pay the extra fees. Just dumb.

MRE

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Pittsfield Walmart there are 3 pairs of exit doors. 1 pair is auto opening and has the sensors for tagged items. The other two pairs are push open with no sensors. The receipt checker, if present is always at the auto opening door, and sometimes there is a line of people waiting to get their receipts checked. I always walk through the manual doors and get crazy looks from the people waiting in line to leave. Never heard anything from the store employees though.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have only had one bad experience with this. In wareham they had a 40ish guy working the door and asking about receipts. I answered with the same "I'm all set" that I always do and he got right up in my face and said "What was that?". He backed off when I repeated myself and just sort of pushed past him, but it is the only time they have been jerks about it. Felt like he was trying to intimidate me, but he never even asked me again afterwards so who knows, maybe he was just hard of hearing.

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
One of the few times I bought ammo there, during the shortage of 22, I grabbed a fee other things I saw I needed on the way out, I out the pre-paid ammo on the belt too so they'd look. The guy saw the receipt didn't even open the bag and rang up the other stuff

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought we were boycotting Walmart for something?

I honestly try to boycott the place just so I don’t have to deal with the general third world atmosphere. Everything is visibly dirty, the employees look like zombies and I saw two nuns in a knife fight. I’m all set with amazon.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walk right past them. Once I have paid for whatever it is I'm buying, it becomes MY property and they have no right to search it. The store itself is private property, but I'm leaving anyway.
With all the self checkouts now they can’t be sure you did pay for everything. And if anyplace is going to have unpaid merchandise waltzing out the door it’s Walmart.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With all the self checkouts now they can’t be sure you did pay for everything. And if anyplace is going to have unpaid merchandise waltzing out the door it’s Walmart.
Only for very small stuff. These things weigh each item to catch unscanned items making it into your bag. The local supermarket has a self-checkout and it is annoying having to either put the really heavy stuff on the weigh platform or call the attendant to do secret squirrel stuff on the touch screen.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Walmart and Home Depot have some of the "easiest to defeat" self checkouts. Grocery store on the other hand is a pain in the ass. Don't put the item in at the right speed. Nasty message. Need to rearrange as you're ringing. Nasty message. Honestly the dang grocery store is a PITA. Last time I went to a Walmart they tried that checking the receipt crap with me, I told them "I'm all set." Look, you don't want to pay cashiers to ring your stuff up. I went through the self check because otherwise it takes too darn long. I'm not now going to wait in ANOTHER line for you to check my receipt! I don't even understand why Costco et al check receipts any more since you can't get out without going through a register anyway!

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only for very small stuff. These things weigh each item to catch unscanned items making it into your bag. The local supermarket has a self-checkout and it is annoying having to either put the really heavy stuff on the weigh platform or call the attendant to do secret squirrel stuff on the touch screen.
I’ve literally watched Gypsies scam the crap out of those self checkout lines. They swarm and distract. They can pick your pocket and you wouldn’t even know it.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart and Home Depot have some of the "easiest to defeat" self checkouts. Grocery store on the other hand is a pain in the ass. Don't put the item in at the right speed. Nasty message. Need to rearrange as you're ringing. Nasty message. Honestly the dang grocery store is a PITA. Last time I went to a Walmart they tried that checking the receipt crap with me, I told them "I'm all set." Look, you don't want to pay cashiers to ring your stuff up. I went through the self check because otherwise it takes too darn long. I'm not now going to wait in ANOTHER line for you to check my receipt! I don't even understand why Costco et al check receipts any more since you can't get out without going through a register anyway!
I’ve been told Costco checks not so much to catch you but to make sure they didn’t screw up. I use the self checkout there cause it’s usually faster. One time I tried scanning something like 15 times and it wouldn’t scan. I got aggravated and threw it in the buggy and figured oh well I tried to pay for it but you wouldn’t let me. Now there is a little Chinese guy who barely speaks English who always checks receipts at the exit. I swear to god he never looks and just marks it and hands it back to you. I figured I’m home free. He took my receipt and looked at my stuff for a millisecond and said you miss one you go back. Jesus!!!

Qwikdraw45

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife went to buy some items at a self checkout. The last sale had a hundred dollars worth of items rung up, and was just "sitting there". She let the checker know, and they realized that the previous customer had "rung up" everything but didn't pay for anything and just left with the merchandise. They were going to check the cameras to find the person.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
I’ve been going to the Lunenburg WM
for 25yrs. Never once been asked to see my receipt?
I always checkout through the home+garden dept.
Its a normal register not like the auto dept just at the
back door. I see greeters there, they’re always polite
I always say hi but never once been asked for a bag peek.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve been told Costco checks not so much to catch you but to make sure they didn’t screw up. I use the self checkout there cause it’s usually faster. One time I tried scanning something like 15 times and it wouldn’t scan. I got aggravated and threw it in the buggy and figured oh well I tried to pay for it but you wouldn’t let me. Now there is a little Chinese guy who barely speaks English who always checks receipts at the exit. I swear to god he never looks and just marks it and hands it back to you. I figured I’m home free. He took my receipt and looked at my stuff for a millisecond and said you miss one you go back. Jesus!!!
That happened to me at BJ’s last week. The cashier didn’t ring something in my cart. What a pain in the ass. I had to go back and pay for the item and then they recorded it on a list to track the cashier. If if didn’t really need the item for the dinner I was making I would have just left the item at the door.

For BJ’s I suck it up because it is part of the agreement I consented to for membership. Walmart can kiss my ass.

Bob

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Twice at Costco the person at the door flagged an error. Once I recall it double scanned something, so I had to go back to get credit. Once at Sam's Club I forgot to scan something in the cart (self-checkout) so I had to go back to self-checkout with that one item. No big deal.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Big smile, loud voice, "Good Afternoon!" (if evening) or "Good Evening!" (if afternoon) or "Good Night!" (if morning). If they call after you, cup your hand to your ear and no matter what they say, glance at your wrist (whether or not you wear a watch) and tell them the time, then proceed. If you don't wear a watch, this technique works especially well, but you have to pre-check the time before you come into their view.

And if you can, fart loudly as you walk.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
or call the attendant to do secret squirrel stuff on the touch screen.
Nice line!

He took my receipt and looked at my stuff for a millisecond and said you miss one you go back. Jesus!!!
I would have asked him which one, and when he pointed it out, hand it to him and say good bye. There is noting I will ever need bad enough that I would return to the check out.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WM in Falmouth pulled this crap on me a couple of weeks ago. I left a nasty response on the receipt questionnaire. Thankfully, Target is now open 10 miles away from home

Top Bottom