checking reciepts at wal mart

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
How on earth is a waitress handing you a bill even remotely analogous to a door-checker demanding to see a receipt for items you have already purchased, and which are, lawfully yours? I "know" my receipt will be checked when I leave Walmart? I do? How do I "know" that? And why should people who are not thieves be happy about being presumed to be thieves? You've really lost me here.
The idea behind the above post - You don't get angry at other people doing their jobs. Even though you might not like what they are doing.

Why is there such disdain for a company who is simply trying to keep shop lifting to a minimum?
They're only trying to prevent thieves from stealing. Is it so hard to take the minute or two to help them out? After all they are passing the savings on to you. Are they not?
I'll say it for the third time in this thread. If you don't like it, don't shop there. Go pay more at Nordstrom's where they don't check your bags.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The idea behind the above post - You don't get angry at other people doing their jobs. Even though you might not like what they are doing.

Why is there such disdain for a company who is simply trying to keep shop lifting to a minimum?
They're only trying to prevent thieves from stealing. Is it so hard to take the minute or two to help them out? After all they are passing the savings on to you. Are they not?
I'll say it for the third time in this thread. If you don't like it, don't shop there. Go pay more at Nordstrom's where they don't check your bags.
Or, just don't do it, and still shop there. See how easy that is? No Nordstrom's required.

There is no statutory requirement to stop and "show papers." If they think you are shoplifting, there are procedures in place for them to follow, and they don't include stopping you at the door, BTW.

And as I said earlier in the thread, the only reason I ever stop is because the receipt-checker-person is invariably a frail senior citizen, whom, try as I may, I cannot bring myself to be rude to. Blame my mother. If they used the much-tattoo'd, multi-pierced blue-haired checkout kid (not to be confused with a blue-haired woman at the door) to do the same thing, I wouldn't even break stride as I left. And then this thread would be, like, 3 posts long, because no one would be stopping.

Last edited:

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you don't like it, don't shop there
This forum is populated with people who have a greater than average concern for their individual rights. Although stores are private property, they are quasi-public facilities in that members of the general public are invited to enter without a specific invitation, or (with the exception of Costo type stores) signing any sort of agreement.

Claiming the right to detain people to search them (it's a low grade "detain" where they try to imply you must comply, even without the legal right to do so) is crossing a line. Some people accept that, others aren't as accepting, and some like myself often let is slide provided there is no delay but won't stand in a line to be searched.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This forum is populated with people who have a greater than average concern for their individual rights. Although stores are private property, they are quasi-public facilities in that members of the general public are invited to enter without a specific invitation, or (with the exception of Costo type stores) signing any sort of agreement.

Claiming the right to detain people to search them (it's a low grade "detain" where they try to imply you must comply, even without the legal right to do so) is crossing a line. Some people accept that, others aren't as accepting, and some like myself often let is slide provided there is no delay but won't stand in a line to be searched.
With all due respect;
Based on the above post, I would also suggest that this forum is full of people who want to take the easy road. If they truly believed that the practices of WalMart are an infringement on their rights they should simply take their business elsewhere and convince others to do the same. Instead they find it easier to spend their money at WalMart (and thus perpetuate WalMarts existence), pocket the savings, treat the minimum wage 'checker' like dirt and then bitch and moan on this forum.

ETA - I can undestand the fact that you don't choose to wait in the long line. A smile and wave to the 'checker' as you head past is probably a classy way to handle that.

Or, just don't do it, and still shop there. See how easy that is? No Nordstrom's required.

There is no statutory requirement to stop and "show papers." If they think you are shoplifting, there are procedures in place for them to follow, and they don't include stopping you at the door, BTW.

And as I said earlier in the thread, the only reason I ever stop is because the receipt-checker-person is invariably a frail senior citizen, whom, try as I may, I cannot bring myself to be rude to. Blame my mother. If they used the much-tattoo'd, multi-pierced blue-haired checkout kid (not to be confused with a blue-haired woman at the door) to do the same thing, I wouldn't even break stride as I left. And then this thread would be, like, 3 posts long, because no one would be stopping.
I respect the fact that you aren't a rude person at heart.

Last edited:

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
treat the minimum wage 'checker' like dirt
I don't see how politely declining to be searched is treating anyone like dirt. If anything they're treating us like dirt by assuming we're all criminals.

And yeah, they're just doing their jobs, but so are the guys that go door to door selling replacement windows or cold calling me at dinner to sell term life insurance. Same deal - say "no thank you, I'm not interested" and go on with your life. It's not rude at all.

Last edited:

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
How on earth is a waitress handing you a bill even remotely analogous to a door-checker demanding to see a receipt for items you have already purchased, and which are, lawfully yours? I "know" my receipt will be checked when I leave Walmart? I do? How do I "know" that? And why should people who are not thieves be happy about being presumed to be thieves? You've really lost me here.
Lol. It's not. That's more like the Maître d' stopping you as you leave and asking to inspect the contents of your stomach with a GI scope. [smile]

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't see how politely declining to be searched is treating anyone like dirt. If anything they're treating us like dirt by assuming we're all criminals.
But don't you think that if they only stopped the people who they thought were or looked like criminals, it would cause a whole OTHER issue altogether?

Like at the airport, they mix in an old lady for random search, just to make it look good.

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
But don't you think that if they only stopped the people who they thought were or looked like criminals, it would cause a whole OTHER issue altogether?

Like at the airport, they mix in an old lady for random search, just to make it look good.
Security theater. I'm not a thespian. [wink]

Scrivener

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I can undestand the fact that you don't choose to wait in the long line. A smile and wave to the 'checker' as you head past is probably a classy way to handle that.
Exactly. The problem is with the store using a questionable tactic to achieve a legitimate goal. Abusing the employee is not the appropriate response.

A simple, "No thank you" as you continue your exit acknowledges the employee, giving him/her respect due another person, while not complying with a non-existent "obligation."

Squished

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Exactly. The problem is with the store using a questionable tactic to achieve a legitimate goal. Abusing the employee is not the appropriate response.

A simple, "No thank you" as you continue your exit acknowledges the employee, giving him/her respect due another person, while not complying with a non-existent "obligation."
+1, I did this yesterday in Danvers when I was walking out of Lawn & Garden. The lady asked for my receipt and I said "no thanks" and kept on walking. She goes "Oh, Ok" as I passed her. She was well into 70's and didn't look to be the healthiest.

Does the store honestly think that these type of people at the door could stop a shoplifter or stop anyone for that matter that wants to leave that store?

Rating - 96.4%
26   1   1
Guitar Center has a receipt check policy. The one in Natick is one reason I won't shop there anymore. The receipt checker is in sight of you paying for the item at the cash register. He asked me to see the receipt, I said "see ya" and walked out

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First time I’ve seen a receipt check at a Walmart was today in Gardner. They had a line of good little sheep waiting in line to get their receipt checked and leave. My wife & daughter were with me, my daughter had a bag of odds and ends and I had an I bagged 6pk of soda & jug of milk.

There was a a huge area to walk through right next to them - we did and no one said anything. If they would have said something, ‘No Thank You’ would be the reply. I didn’t know this was a thing around here - but I’m not playing.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah, generally if you just walk through they ignore you. Half the time it seems at wal-mart that people see the greeter sitting there at the door and go over to hand them the receipt without the greeter having anything to do with it. Once one has done it, people behind think they are supposed to and a line forms. I have only seen them actually ask me once, and there was no issue when I said I was all set and walked on past.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
First time I’ve seen a receipt check at a Walmart was today in Gardner. They had a line of good little sheep waiting in line to get their receipt checked and leave. My wife & daughter were with me, my daughter had a bag of odds and ends and I had an I bagged 6pk of soda & jug of milk.

There was a a huge area to walk through right next to them - we did and no one said anything. If they would have said something, ‘No Thank You’ would be the reply. I didn’t know this was a thing around here - but I’m not playing.
I’m curious how you found this thread after 9 years! Did you do a search for it after shopping today?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the wallmart near me looks more and more like a 3rd world bodega....so i guess there is a valid reason

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I’ve witnessed this being done at WalMarts in MA (Walpole) and GA (several). It had never been done at my formerly local WalMart in Bellingham.

From what I can tell from first hand and observational experience is they only ask for receipt if you have an un-bagged item and you didn’t go through self checkout.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Back in the days when I would buy ammo at the Fairhaven Walmart, I was accosted and blocked by a receipt checker. The guy looked at my receipt, looked in my bag and saw six boxes of Perfecta 9mm, smiled at me and said “sorry about that sir, have a nice day”. I never went back.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I wear pocket tee shirts and usually have a half dozen random receipts in there.
Market Basket, Dunks, Bank, Gas, all kinds.
I just hand them the lot and say "You find it".
8 out of 10 times I get a "You're a dink" look and my receipts handed back...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...After making a purchase at wal-mart, how do you feel about having your bags checked against your receipt?

What if there was a long line to have receipts checked?

A part of me would want to just walk by, I didn't steal anything - so I shouldn't be treated like a criminal.

On the other hand, the store is just trying to minimize its losses, and its not that big of a deal to show a receipt.
How do they know you didn't just scoot through an empty checkout line with your stuff, unless you can show them a receipt?

my reciept was already checked by the person whom i paid for whatever i bought.

you're within your legal right to refuse the check and i do.
See above.

just don't stand in that line..i would walk by
Why?

Common practice at BJ's and Costco, don't see what the big deal is.
Exactly.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
How do they know you didn't just scoot through an empty checkout line with your stuff, unless you can show them a receipt?
That's why God made Loss Prevention. They have specific procedures they go through if they think you're shoplifting, and it doesn't involve me having to show my receipt at the door. It's my shit. If you think I'm shoplifting, then take the proper action, and I'll see you in court.

Squished said:
Common practice at BJ's and Costco, don't see what the big deal is.
BJ's and Costco are membership stores. As part of that membership, you agree to go through the receipt version of Checkpoint Charlie. Walmart is not a membership store, and I made no such agreement.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why God made Loss Prevention. They have specific procedures they go through if they think you're shoplifting, and it doesn't involve me having to show my receipt at the door. It's my shit. If you think I'm shoplifting, then take the proper action, and I'll see you in court. ...
Are you kidding me? They want to see that you paid. Show them. No harm, no foul.
[bs2][bs]

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the bottom of your receipt there is number that matches the items you bought. Costco just checks that number and counts the items in your cart.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In order to detain someone, a shopkeeper must have reason to believe that person was shoplifting - not just knowledge that the person declined a search. Bigger stores generally have formal policies as to who may forcefully detain a shoplifter, and what is required to do so (generally observation of the subject approaching the merchandise, concealing it, and then exiting the store). In some jurisdictions concealing it is sufficient, as is observing the person possessing anti theft device removal tools.

Practice lines like "I do not agree to a search and do not agree to remain here on a voluntary basis. Are you placing me in custody? Am I free to leave? Are you making a citizen's arrest?".

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess I'm biased having been on the other side of this. I spent a very short time checking receipts at a Home Depot. Long story but I was not an employee but a security contractor.

If you go to buy something at a store and you set off the alarm when you leave, there is a minor problem. A tag didn't get deactivated. No biggie. I don't understand the hostility toward the worker at the door doing their job.

Would you cuss out a cop for pulling you over? Would you bitch out a waitress who hands you your bill? You know your receipt will be check when you leave. It's not as if you were ignorant of that. So what is the big deal about handing them the piece of paper?
I miss you!

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I spent a very short time checking receipts at a Home Depot.
Can you tell us how you were trained to handle a situation where a customer said "no", and furthermore told you he was not going to remain at the store unless you informed him he was being placed into custody?

This reminds me of a fundamental issue in gun rights: Is a person required to prove they are suitable to own a gun, or is the government required they are not in order to deny that right? Do stores need a reason to stop an accuse someone of shoplifting, or is it the obligation of the shopper to prove they have not committed this crime?

Top Bottom