checking reciepts at wal mart

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reading this on another forum, I thought I would bring it up for discussion here.

After making a purchase at wal-mart, how do you feel about having your bags checked against your receipt?

What if there was a long line to have receipts checked?

A part of me would want to just walk by, I didn't steal anything - so I shouldn't be treated like a criminal.

On the other hand, the store is just trying to minimize its losses, and its not that big of a deal to show a receipt.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My friend did this several times, they told him he was no longer welcome and any further visits would be considered trespassing and the police would be called. He went back anyway, manager called police, cops came and all had a pow wow, basically a kiss and make up. He now shows his receipt. Sturbridge MA.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, but those are membership based, and i believe a stipulation of membership is showing your receipt
Beat me to it. Wal Mart, I just walk by. I didn't steal anything, they have no legal basis for anything. What are they going to do, call the cops and tell them that I didn't let them search me?

Squished

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
yes, but those are membership based, and i believe a stipulation of membership is showing your receipt
True.

At Walmart, the chances of the door greeter being able to actually read your receipt without glasses (I've never seen a door greeter under 100, I swear), or in a timely fashion, leads me to believe that they just "check" your receipt quickly against your items and that's it.

Does Walmart check receipts now? I've never had my receipt checked there so I'm not sure their policy and how they do it.

In reality, it's a waste of time unless you punch the receipt like BJ's and Costco. You could walk out to your car, dump the bags out, go back in the store, fill the bags back up with the exact items and go right back through the same line.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My friend did this several times, they told him he was no longer welcome and any further visits would be considered trespassing and the police would be called. He went back anyway, manager called police, cops came and all had a pow wow, basically a kiss and make up. He now shows his receipt. Sturbridge MA.
If that were me, Wal Mart would have one less customer. I'll pay the few bucks more for oil at the Autozone across the street and I'll buy my ammo at DSG or a local dealer. I haven't bought anything else from WM in the past 5 years.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In reality, it's a waste of time unless you punch the receipt the BJ's and Costco. You could walk out to your car, dump the bags out, go back in the store, fill the bags back up with the exact items and go right back through the same line.
Last I knew, the Costco in Avon did mark the receipt when they checked it.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
if it makes you feel better the receipt check is really to make sure the cashier didn't miss charging you for something--on purpose or by accident
As in checking to make sure the cashier and you are not working as a theft team.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I generally go along, so long as I am not waiting.

However, I've only ever been asked at Walmart once. That time I went through the main bank of registers, without stopping, in view of the door. I had paid back in sporting goods, and the door person's attitude became very cooperative and respectful when he realized I had just bought ammo.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Their rules do not apply to my property. It stopped being theirs when I paid.
I'd consider this to be a valid argument. What if you were thinking "green" (just pretend) and, having only purchased a few small items, you decided to decline a plastic bag and put them into your man-purse (assuming you're Blitz1). Assuming LP doesn't have surveillance footage of you attempting to steal anything, what basis would they have to press the bag check issue?

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I usually just hold the receipt in my hand, and kinda sorta hold it out while i walk by the greeter (if there is one). Usually gets me the wave through.

And, one time I set off the alarm. Manager came over, refused to look at my receipt, took a quick look in my bags, grabbed an item (monitor cable), mumbled something about 'those asshat cashiers always forgetting to deactivate tags', deactivated it for me, and put it back in my bag. I did not set the alarm off again.

M

MACGYVR

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You are on their private property. They can do whatever they want. As an occupant of that propety you are subject to their rules. Free to leave or not enter if you don't like it.

Unless Walmart here is training people for the eventual enslavement of the population....PAPERS PLEASE!

From peopleofwalmart.com

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Actually, I'm torn by this.

On the one hand, nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me they "must see my receipt" after I've properly purchased something. ("Sir? Sir!? Sir!!??") It's mine. I paid for it. And I especially don't like someone using some imagined "authority" to challenge my right to leave with my legally purchased property. You think I stole it? Man up and accuse me, and we'll see how well that goes down. I hate the whole process, and I detest the automatic reaction of some sheeple to the "command." "Well, he told me he has to look in my bag, so..."

On the other hand, around here at least, the door "greeter" at Walmart is invariably a frail senior citizen, frequently with a physical handicap, just doing what some pompous, self-important manager with a bad comb-over told them they must do, and I find it hard if not impossible to be forceful and curt with them. I cringe at the thought of some grandmother-type hobbling after me with a crutch. I usually end up showing my receipt while thinking, "Boy, if you were a snotty-nosed punk I'd just keep walking! Where are the snotty-nosed punks? Can we get a snotty-nosed punk over here, please!?"

Guess I'm just a wuss.

soloman02

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is news to me. I have never even seen a line for the checking of receipts. I usually see someone near the entrance ready to pounce if you set the detectors off, which has happened to me once due to an electronic item. I showed my receipt, they checked the bag and I was on my merry way. Must be a Mass thing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, I'm torn by this.

On the one hand, nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me they "must see my receipt" after I've properly purchased something. ("Sir? Sir!? Sir!!??") It's mine. I paid for it. And I especially don't like someone using some imagined "authority" to challenge my right to leave with my legally purchased property. You think I stole it? Man up and accuse me, and we'll see how well that goes down. I hate the whole process, and I detest the automatic reaction of some sheeple to the "command." "Well, he told me he has to look in my bag, so..."

On the other hand, around here at least, the door "greeter" at Walmart is invariably a frail senior citizen, frequently with a physical handicap, just doing what some pompous, self-important manager with a bad comb-over told them they must do, and I find it hard if not impossible to be forceful and curt with them. I cringe at the thought of some grandmother-type hobbling after me with a crutch. I usually end up showing my receipt while thinking, "Boy, if you were a snotty-nosed punk I'd just keep walking! Where are the snotty-nosed punks? Can we get a snotty-nosed punk over here, please!?"

Guess I'm just a wuss.
You sure do paint a picture! ++1 [rofl]

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You are on their private property. They can do whatever they want. As an occupant of that propety you are subject to their rules. Free to leave or not enter if you don't like it.
That is not really correct. Yes they can prevent you from coming on their property (no trespass), but they do not have the right to stop/detain/search etc. If you paid for something you are not subject to any rule about having your property searched.

Top Bottom