Checking if a handgun is loaded

even checking it is no indication the gun is unloaded. There have been cases where a cartridge was stuck in the magazine, especialy tubular ones on a rifle, and then finds its way into the chamber after the check.

The top of a seated magazine and breach area can get dirty with .22 ammo. If you're tired, stressed, etc. it can be easy to miss a loaded round.

The round was dark grey not bright copper.

It sure was a surprise when the gun went bang when I was not expecting it. Glad I pointed it at the ground, but what a surprise.

As with most other safety issues with firearms, the "right answer" depends on your personal comfort level. I was taught a visual check in the Army; common sense means you stick a pinkie in there for low-light checks. That's it; there doesn't need to be a huge ritual involved. I learned to pay much more attention to keeping fingers off triggers; infantry tactics mean rounds are chambered by default, and that everyone is routinely swept by everyone else's muzzles. You stop worrying about it quickly

You can "what-if" this question to death, to the point where the only safe move is precisely that: to not move your gun from your safe. Seems silly.

The top of a seated magazine and breach area can get dirty with .22 ammo. If you're tired, stressed, etc. it can be easy to miss a loaded round.

The round was dark grey not bright copper.

It sure was a surprise when the gun went bang when I was not expecting it. Glad I pointed it at the ground, but what a surprise.

Reminder that you have to break more than one rule to cause an injury.

Keep this rule constant and repeat.
Guns ARE always LOADED and handle as such. Then go over the commandments.
Handle all guns as if they are loaded.
Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy or kill,
Know what's beyond your target
Guns are always loaded

My dad used to say. "I don't care if your dick is in the chamber....gun is always loaded.

No longer is it acceptable to stick your finger into the breach of a firearm. the slide could release while your finger is in the breach and cause injury. At one time this was the normal way to check a firearm, no longer is this taught. Visual inspection only now.

I expect that some might weight the risk (likelihood * consequence) lower for a finger injury in the chamber lower than that of a negligent discharge.

Hmmmmm. Must be a 3rd Battalion thing lol

Kidding.
I was never taught to physically inspect the chamber at PI, or in the fleet, rifle or pistol. Maybe an 8th thing lol

Unload
Clear
Lock

Admittedly it's been a while. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Thinking back on it I specifically remember having to physically inspect the chamber and then dry fire into a clearing barrel before turning anything in. In any case I don't see why a visual and physical check would be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Admittedly it's been a while. I could be wrong.

LOL I was thinking the same thing!!!! PI was 1986 for me, my fingers were too fat (and still are) to jam them into the mag well or worse the ejection port of an M16A2 to physically check the chamber (which may have well been the same size as a squirrels anus) for an errant round. Perhaps newer recruits are more thinnerly fingered than I was?

LOL I was thinking the same thing!!!! PI was 1986 for me, my fingers were too fat (and still are) to jam them into the mag well or worse the ejection port of an M16A2 to physically check the chamber (which may have well been the same size as a squirrels anus) for an errant round. Perhaps newer recruits are more thinnerly fingered than I was?

Found this on Google:
CMC Intro to Marine Corps Marksmanship: http://slideplayer.com/slide/4505755/

img4.jpg

I was taught to visually and "physically" check to see if there is a round in the chamber. Twice.
By physically, with an open slide and a finger inserted.

I'm teaching a couple newbies informally tonight about some safety things. I'm debating on the "physically" part. Thoughts on this?

If you begin from an action closed position and lock the slide open to verify clear and then still have a round in the chamber the gun has malfunctioned which would be extremely rare. Visual inspection is fine IMO.

I don't physically check the chamber of guns, and avoid sticking my fingers in there. It's not like it was an 'acceptability memo' that went out lol. I only own a couple handguns. They get shot a decent amount, and go into battery pretty easy. I don't like chambering my digits. Other people are free to do whatever floats their boat......................................

My AK likes to close when I put my fingers in the chamber, yet I do it all the time. It doesn't really hurt, unless your the delicate type I suppose.

I've never used to my finger to check the chamber for safety reasons but normally when I clear the chamber, I do it more than once and use a small flashlight to confirm. As stated previously, when you're tired, you really need to clear more than once to be certain that it is in fact empty.

No longer is it acceptable to stick your finger into the breach of a firearm. the slide could release while your finger is in the breach and cause injury. At one time this was the normal way to check a firearm, no longer is this taught. Visual inspection only now.
I've put my finger in far more dangerous places.

For 1911's I was taught the finger check method. The rationale given was that a round in the chamber of a 1911 may not be easily visible, especially if dirty or tarnished. I always check 1911's using the pinky method. The most injurious issue to my hands are tears to the web from the slide moving during firing.

I have OCD when it comes to making sure a firearm is clear. I pull the slide back visually inspect the chamber, rack it 3 times, visually inspect the chamber again. I'm a little off I will admit.

I have OCD when it comes to making sure a firearm is clear. I pull the slide back visually inspect the chamber, rack it 3 times, visually inspect the chamber again. I'm a little off I will admit.

Nothing wrong with that. I have a tendency to rack a slide more than once myself.

If you're a little off, then so am I, because that's pretty much what I do. If after that there is any doubt remaining, disassemble the gun or slide a cleaning rod down the barrel to confirm it's empty. Better safe than sorry.

This is what I was taught.

After 35 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange, I don't buy it.

A slide is no more likely to drop on its own than a gun is to fire on its own.

For the last 10 years I've taught to physically check with a finger. I consider the miniscule risk of a pinched finger to be well worth the decreased risk of a ND.

Don

Back
Top Bottom