• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Checking firearms at Logan

Has anyone ever flown out of Logan and checked a firearm. I know it needs to be locked and declared at check in, but does it need to be declared to MSP or TSA before entering the airport?

From the TSA flyer

Firearms: Place firearms and ammunition in your checked baggage. Firearms must be unloaded, placed in a locked, hard-sided container and properly declared to your airline.

also check the individual airlines policy

Thanks digitech. Someone told me it may have to be declared to the MSP prior to entering the airport.
Nope. Lock your unloaded gun in a solid container and put the container inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase. Just walk up to the baggage check in and tell the airline clerk than you need to declare an unloaded firearm and ammunition in your bag. They'll give you a big orange form to fill out and then put inside your bag. They may then walk you over to TSA so you can stand by as they scan your bag for explosives, in case they need to get into your bag.

I use the car safe for my container with the cable around the handle frame.

Declared at the counter to the ticket agent. Given a firearm card with my ID info on it and signed/dated by me.

They then take it over to the TSA area where one of their personnel do their thing.

They lock up the bag and hand it back to the airline. Been pretty simple.

Of course, not all TSA handles it the same. Some don't bother to look at all.

Good story for you. My father his friend and I where flying out to Upper Michigan For hunting season at my fathers camp. We got a early morning ride into the airport by a friend of his who was a State Police Trooper in town. (boy that cruiser makes it easy to get through traffic.) He dropped us off curbside and helped us unload our luggage and three hard side long rifle cases. Then as a joke he yelled out at us NOW I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU GUYS IN MASSACHUSETTS AGAIN!!. It was actually pretty funny, and the looks on the faces of the people around us was priceless. Then again it was pre 911 and i guess it would not go over as well now a days.

I use the Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe at the top of this page. A Sig P220 and a loose magazine fit with a little room to spare.

I've got a matching pair of those in my car - one for the pistol and one for the ammo, if and when needed. Any pretty handy little safes. Even if not terribly "safe" safes, they comply with the law and offer a modest level of security.

Checking firearms. (don't call them guns in the terminal) ;-)

Dunno why you feel that way. I've done it several times and it was usually quite painless.

Same here. Usually pretty simple but sometimes you run up against a counter person that is clue deficient. [wink]

I was once flying back from Toronto to MA and when I told the counter person at Air Canada that I had an “unloaded firearm to declare” she kind of got this “deer in the headlights” look. [thinking]
I explained that she needed to find me an orange tag with the works “unloaded firearm” on it. She went away and came back with the declaration tag which I filled out and placed in the hard case. She then sheepishly informed me that she had to “inspect it to ensure its unloaded.” I retrieved the case and unlocked it. I then turned it around and opened it on the counter towards her so that the case cover blocked the view of those standing behind me. At this point I asked her, “now would you have any idea how to tell if it was loaded or not?” to which she replied, “No.” [rolleyes]

I showed and explained the cable lock running from the barrel through the magazine well. She seemed much relieved that I seemed to know the procedures and while I was locking he case back up she asked me if I “would be checking that, or carrying it on board?”

I showed and explained the cable lock running from the barrel through the magazine well.

I hope that was simply an unfortunately confusing wording and that you didn't actually run a cable lock through the barrel. I've actually seen a couple of printed instruction flyers accompanying some locks that show them installed that way. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Ken

Has anyone ever flown out of Logan and checked a firearm. I know it needs to be locked and declared at check in, but does it need to be declared to MSP or TSA before entering the airport?

No declaration to MSP, just at the ticket counter.

Carefully read and print out couple of copies of this page and similar page with your particular airline rules for transporting a firearm:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Follow all the rules and you will have no problem, just make sure you can legally posses the firearm in you arrival/departure points. Multiple copies are nice to have if you have a clerk who is clueless about the TSA and/or their own company rules - you can leave one for them to read. :)

Some airlines will not let you check ammo in the same bag as the firearm. Some airlines will also ask you to demonstrate that the firearm is visibly unloaded. This is up to the airline.

Other than that, usually quite painless.

Some airlines will not let you check ammo in the same bag as the firearm.
I encountered a TSA baggage screener at Logan who believed this was a requirement. It's easier to put the ammo in a separate bag than worry about my ability to argue facts with someone holding all the cards.

I encountered a TSA baggage screener at Logan who believed this was a requirement. It's easier to put the ammo in a separate bag than worry about my ability to argue facts with someone holding all the cards.

But that's not their policy, which is why I carry their website page with me. And its really tough when you only check one bag. [thinking]

Cable lock through barrel.

I hope that was simply an unfortunately confusing wording and that you didn't actually run a cable lock through the barrel. I've actually seen a couple of printed instruction flyers accompanying some locks that show them installed that way. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Ken

I sure did. You gotta problem with that? [smile]

Some airlines will not let you check ammo in the same bag as the firearm. Some airlines will also ask you to demonstrate that the firearm is visibly unloaded. This is up to the airline.

Other than that, usually quite painless.

Jet blue ..yes
Air tramp..ooops Tram..NO!

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to be dragged in the back room like that MIT chick.

If you can...have them bring you to TSA. Why? because from exper. if Ticket agent checks it..then sends it down ....TSA will flag it in xray(bag check down stairs )...and they come looking for a key to look inside. (Un-supervised by you) IF they bring you over to TSA ..TSA agent checks it...OK's it and it goes by the xray downstairs!!!

Hope all is easy....!! I fly out Sunday to FL myself!

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to be dragged in the back room like that MIT chick.
You planning on wearing a circuit board with blinking lights on your chest and carrying playdoh in your hand?

Ken

I sure did. You gotta problem with that? [smile]

No problem of mine. I suppose you're free to ruin your gun barrels if you want, sort of the same way that I'm free to buy Picassos and use them to start the fires in my fireplace during the winter. [thinking]

Ken

No problem of mine. I suppose you're free to ruin your gun barrels if you want, sort of the same way that I'm free to buy Picassos and use them to start the fires in my fireplace during the winter.
Most of the cable locks I've seen are covered in rubber/plastic. I don't see how that would ruin a barrel. What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom