• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Checking a gun in at the airport?

Also check the Jet Blue website:

Firearms/Shooting Equipment and Ammunition

I carry a printed copy of the TSA rules, as well as the Jet Blue ones. I travel with the frequently and have had not problem. I use a Gun Safe which you can get from Four Seasons (usually) with the cable secured to the arms of the telescoping handle.

Usually the Jet Blue desk person will fill out a tag, you sign it and put it in your luggage. They'll then walk it over to the TSA room where they usually look through it. Not always.

And every airport is different, so be prepared for unusual requests. Take you time, go early and be polite. [smile]

Traveling with firearms on Delta or any other airline is pretty much the same.

First off, make sure you have your credentials (permit,ID, etc).

Second, make sure your pistol is unloaded, locked, in a locked container, stuffed into your checked baggage.

Third, as you arrive to check your bags, you can't allow the skycaps to take your luggage. Rather you have to go to the counter. When it's your turn, quietly tell the ticket agent you have a firearm in your luggage. They will have you fill out an "unloaded firearm certificate" and then you'll hand your luggage to the TSA.

Fourth: Tell the TSA there is a handgun in your luggage. They will handle your back separately and confirm it's shows in the screening. Then they will open your luggage on the table and want to inspect the locked pistol case. Stay with your luggage and provide them with the key to open the case. They will most probably swab your pistol and check it for explosive residue. Why? Because they've got nothing better to do.

At that point they should just close and lock the case and clear your luggage for travel. You may have to show your credentials to have in your possession a handgun so be prepared.

Finally, your bag will travel with you and hopefully arrive at your destination.

IF it does NOT arrive at our destination, you make the biggest stink on the planet and tell the baggage supervisor at your destination that there is a firearm in that bag and if it doesn't show up you're going to call the ATF and report a stolen firearm at the airport. That, sir, will get ther panties in a bunch. Trust me. I know how it works.

If, too, you are diverted someplace like NY and have to collect your bags because your plane has terminated, DO NOT collect your bag. Rather ask for a senior customer service agent and tell them there is a firearm in your luggage. You MAY NOT be able to recheck your bag at whatever airport you are at because you don't have a permit for that state. So, it's imperative that you make sure not to gain posession of the bag containing your firearm at an unanticipated airport. Just a warning.

Flying with firearms can literall put you in the clink so use your descretion and brains.

Good luck!

Rome

Fourth: Tell the TSA there is a handgun in your luggage. They will handle your back separately and confirm it's shows in the screening. Then they will open your luggage on the table and want to inspect the locked pistol case. Stay with your luggage and provide them with the key to open the case. They will most probably swab your pistol and check it for explosive residue. Why? Because they've got nothing better to do.

NO!

You are NOT supposed to give the key to anyone. Period.

The gun has already been determined unloaded and duly secured by the ticket agent who gave you the form to put in WITH that gun. At that point, the gun case is locked and STAYS locked unless and until unlocked by YOU.

If some TSA twit claims s/he needs to confirm the status of the gun, YOU open the case and YOU lock it. Do not give them the key, per TSA's own regulations.

NO!

You are NOT supposed to give the key to anyone. Period.

The gun has already been determined unloaded and duly secured by the ticket agent who gave you the form to put in WITH that gun. At that point, the gun case is locked and STAYS locked unless and until unlocked by YOU.

If some TSA twit claims s/he needs to confirm the status of the gun, YOU open the case and YOU lock it. Do not give them the key, per TSA's own regulations.

Negative Ghost Rider. The TSA will ask for the key to open the case. They don't let you in the room. You stand outside the door way and watch. That is MY experience over the last couple of years. The Ticket agent RARELY looks at anything, or if they do, they still transport the bag to the TSA room and it may be opened and inspected by their agent.

TSA
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

Jet Blue
All firearms must be unloaded and must be packed in either a crush-proof
container specifically designed for the firearm, or in a hard-sided container.
The container must be lockable and only the individual checking the baggage
should retain the key or combination. Any container which cannot be locked is
not acceptable. TSA recommends that you provide the key or combination to the
security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain
present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared.

Last edited:
Negative Ghost Rider. The TSA will ask for the key to open the case. They don't let you in the room. You stand outside the door way and watch. That is MY experience over the last couple of years.

SCREW what the Taking Scissors Away agency "recommends." It's your butt that will be on the line if your gun "goes missing."

If you want to kowtow to the shampoo-seizers, do it. I'M going by the regulations the TSA purports to act under:

§ 49 CFR 1544.203

(f) Firearms in checked baggage. No aircraft operator may knowingly permit any person to transport in checked baggage:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing before checking the baggage that any firearm carried in the baggage is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container;

(iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination; and

(iv) The checked baggage containing the firearm is carried in an area that is inaccessible to passengers, and is not carried in the flightcrew compartment,.

(f) Firearms in checked baggage. No aircraft operator may knowingly permit any person to transport in checked baggage:
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--
iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination;

way i read that, retaining the key is actually bringing it with you after your bag is checked and you're on your way to the metal detector. F deals with the checked baggage being transported, the check in and inspection process doesn't seem to be the act of transporting it. Additionally, the TSA agents manning the xray station aren't the aircraft operator that is referred to in the regulation.

I checked my gun in with Delta tuesday, it was typical. go to counter, tell attendant, i need to check a firearm, she says open the case, confirm it's unloaded, show them, sign a declaration form that it's unloaded, attach to case (that is inside the suitcase), now they take you to the xray machine with the tsa inspectors and you need to wait behind the line. but you also get to cut in front of the other people because they want you there with the suitcase and your key in case they feel the need to open it and go through it. I've traveled with my gun so many times, it's always this way. Sometimes they want to open it, sometimes they don't. They need to ask you for the key to open it and inspect it there, in front of you. If they are even going to open it, which most of the time, they don't.

As someone with years of traveling with guns, you can argue all you want with those in authority, but it's not going to get you or your bags to your flight anytime faster. You can make it easier and faster on yourself, if you just stand there with your key in case they need it, as directed. It's not like they are doing anything out of your view.

some other advice when traveling with guns- Dont travel through Chicago. Especially if you fly United, because their stupid customer "service" is based in India I believe, and they can't understand a damn word you're saying if you report your gun missing. They may go looking for a golf bag. Immediately call the FBI office located in the Chicago airport. They'll understand the severity of the situation, and go find it.
Dont bring a metal squib rod with you on the carry on, that can be used as a "martial arts weapon" and may get taken away from you. Dial calipers may also get found. Which is nice, because I couldn't remember where I left them.

Vellnueve, you are correct, of course, but there have been a few incidents over the past couple of years that point out how badly things can go if you don't pay attention to where you are.

In NY, for instance, there have been a couple of cases reported where fellas with handguns have been unintentionlly diverted to JFK because of weather and their flight terminated when they arrived. That required the passengers to collect their luggage and they would have to recheck their luggage the next day to continue their trip. When they delcared their pistols as they had at the original airport, they were arrested because they didn't have a NY permit. The contention is that as soon as they collected their luggage, they were in "possession" of their handgun in a very gun-unfriendly state and technically the STate was correct. Still, it was a raw deal but one anyone could find themselves in while traveling by air.

My point is that if you are diverted while traveling with firearms, make sure you DON'T take possession of your luggage again without first talking to someone in charge and explaining the situation unless you're permitted in that state.

And, I have traveled by air with both handguns and long guns numerous times. In Pittsburgh, Useless Air "lost" my two rifles I was competeing with at Camp Perry. My heart sank as I waited at the carosel. When I finally went to report the case was missing, they were very unconcerned and told me they would eventually show up. That was until I told them that I had the ATF on speed-dial on my cell phone and that they had one hour to locate my bag before I reported a firearms theft at their airport. Don't wait to intimidate the lost baggage handler. They handle so many bags today that they need a bit of external pursuasion to get them in gear. They found my expensive rifle case with my rifles in Charlotte (they were put on the wrong plane for a non-stop flight!) and arrived by midnight that night in time for travel the next day.

Rome

Another good thing that I do is to ask the TSA guy to wrap some of his blue and white TSA tape around the case in two places. This way, the case will not need to be checked again no matter how many plane changes there are. Jack.

SCREW what the Taking Scissors Away agency "recommends." It's your butt that will be on the line if your gun "goes missing."

If you want to kowtow to the shampoo-seizers, do it. I'M going by the regulations the TSA purports to act under:

§ 49 CFR 1544.203

Indeed it is. WHich is why you're present if they want to open the case. "Retaining the key" seems to be splitting a few hairs (of which I have few), but it's their ball game.

38supermatt said:
As someone with years of traveling with guns, you can argue all you want with those in authority, but it's not going to get you or your bags to your flight anytime faster. You can make it easier and faster on yourself, if you just stand there with your key in case they need it, as directed. It's not like they are doing anything out of your view.

+1. That is my experience as well. And every airport is different on how they interpret their own regulattions. As for the counter personnel, most have NO clue about a loaded vs. unloaded firearn and I hate to open the case at the counter for all the world to see. But again, its their ball game.

FOPA & NY

At the risk of resurrecting an old thread,

If you get diverted and make arrangements to continue your journey, FOPA still applies.

Depends on the state and what you mean by "diverted". As Cabinetman pointed out, there has been an ugly string of cases in NY of regular, law abiding non-NY'ers getting arrested at NY airports for unlawful possession of a handgun. My advice:

DON'T drive from outside of NY to a NY airport to commence a trip with handguns. It should be protected, but others have been arrested for the exact same thing.

DON'T reclaim a pistol case at a NY baggage carousel if you're changing flights or you have to lay over as part of a journey through the state. It should be protected, but others have been arrested for the exact same thing.

Back
Top Bottom