Checking a firing pin?

Dave6

Banned
Any suggestions on testing/checking a firing pin without firing live ammo?
I am using a revolver.

Tape on the primer on a spent case?

Sometimes I'll dry fire with the cylinder open and put something between my finger and the firing pin hole (rag, whatever) to see if I feel it.

Are you looking to see if it protrudes at all or are you looking for more of a measurement?

Tape on the primer on a spent case?

Sometimes I'll dry fire with the cylinder open and put something between my finger and the firing pin hole (rag, whatever) to see if I feel it.

Are you looking to see if it protrudes at all or are you looking for more of a measurement?

Good suggestion thanks. I am just looking to see if it is in good working order.

If the firing pin is on the hammer you can visually check it. The pencil works well of the bore is large enough. One time I just pulled the bullet out of the case, dumped the powder and fired off the primer. Louder than you might think but not over the top.

Take an empty cartridge, deprime, jam a crayon into the primer pocket, cut off flush with a razor blade.

NB: No idea if this will work, I just now thought of it.

Drill and tap (1/4-20) a spent case. Screw in a nylon bolt. Cut flush. Look for dent.

Good snap cap alternative.

Second the pencil test.

Assuming S&W, here's an alternative:

Open cylinder.

Holding cylinder latch back, cock hammer.

Thumb on hammer, press trigger and hold pressed while you ease the hammer down.

Pin should protrude from recoil shield/pin bushing. Gives visual indication of pin length and function

Note: never close open cylinder with cocked hammer. (That's why normally you can't cock hammer with cylinder open.)

On anything centerfire, I use a pencil. (The metal part is wrapped with Scotch tape.)

Hold the firearm with the barrel pointed straight up, drop the pencil, then drop the hammer (or striker). If it works, you'll know it immediately.

Back
Top Bottom