Check this fake war hero out...

Pilgrim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
yes

of interest maybe:
Officers are not entitled to get a Good Conduct Medal (as they're expected to be gentlemen) but if they start out as enlisted, get the GC and then later become an officer, they can wear the ribbon.

So sometimes you'll see an officer with a GC ribbon on his uniform.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Question:

If one were to do a hitch in, say, the Army, be discharged ( after winning, for instance, a purple heart, and an Army marksmanship award, and some service ribbons) then decide to enlist in the Air Force, would be entitled to wear the decorations earned in the Army with the AF uniform?

I'll stick with my Trap vest, and all the "decorations" thereon! [laugh]
Yeah. I wear an AF uniform these days with a bunch of Navy fruit salad on it.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Question:

If one were to do a hitch in, say, the Army, be discharged ( after winning, for instance, a purple heart, and an Army marksmanship award, and some service ribbons) then decide to enlist in the Air Force, would be entitled to wear the decorations earned in the Army with the AF uniform?

Yes with one exception (am a veteran of both services) all Air Force awards may be worn on the Army uniform except the Air Force Longevity Ribbon. Enlisted will wear the appropriate number of service stripes (hash marks) instead and officers are SOL. The wearing of the Combat Infantryman's Badge used to be "discouraged" by the Air Force but was never prohibited for wear by Air Force members who had earned them while in the Army and I never knew anyone who earned it who didn't wear it in the Air Force. In the case of precedence of awards, if you are currently in the Army then Army awards will take precedence over Air Force awards of equal value: for example if you had both an Army and an Air Force Good Conduct Medal, the Army Good Conduct Medal would be worn before the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, if you were in the Air Force and had both, the Air Force Good Conduct Medal would take precedence.

Also, since the Air Force centers all of its awards and badges on the left breast, unit citations which are normally worn on the right breast in the Army would be worn on the left breast and vice-versa in the Army. For example I am entitled to wear the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award in my own right because it was awarded to the unit while I was assigned there. Normally it is worn on the left side of the Air Force uniform after all decorations and before all service medals. In the Army I wore it on the right breast above the pocket of the Class A uniform where Army unit citations are worn.

If this seems complicated it is...[wink]

dustoff22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Question:

No offense but poor choice of words.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
In fairness to the Air Force,the Navy has some lame ribbons too. For example, I was awarded two Sea Service ribbons. They are awarded for deployments in excess of 90 days.

I never understood that. The whole purpose of the Navy - and the reason I joined - was to go to sea. Kinda stupid to get a ribbon for being away from home.

Top Bottom