• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheapest 9mm rounds question

Looking for the cheapest 9mm 115g FMJ ammo. 1000 rnds
Can I buy bulk off the INTERNET and have it shipped to MA?

consider buying ammo from QMMO (www.qmmo.net)

Q is a local shooter and reloader here and everybody can vouch for him. His ammo is the best I've shot outside of premium match loads. It's all brass cased and not crappy puff puff velocities like cheap factory ammo (e.g. Remington UMC)

You have to buy face to face with him, and he's in the Mansfield area. I can save up to 25% on ammo from him, and it's much better than cheap factory ammo to boot. 1000 rounds of 115gr 9mm from Q is $190 tax free, which is a good deal.

Only catch is that you have to give him back your brass.

Last edited:
You have to buy face to face with him, and he's in the Mansfield area. I can save up to 25% on ammo from him, and it's much better than cheap factory ammo to boot. 1000 rounds of 115gr 9mm from Q is $190 tax free, which is a good deal.

Only catch is that you have to give him back your brass.

any info on his 223/5.56? - nevermind, just found his price list
also: way to toss him under bus for tax free mention

Last edited:
any info on his 223/5.56? - nevermind, just found his price list
also: way to toss him under bus for tax free mention

what I meant was the cost on the website already includes all of the taxes (as stated in the website), so you don't have to pay extra on top of the listed price...

[rolleyes]

what I meant was the cost on the website already includes all of the taxes (as stated in the website), so you don't have to pay extra on top of the listed price...

[rolleyes]

Why are you rolling your eyes? You did say "Tax Free" not "Including Tax". Two very different things.

Why are you rolling your eyes? You did say "Tax Free" not "Including Tax". Two very different things.

because I didn't try to throw Q under the bus [rolleyes]

you don't pay anything on top of the price listed and the tax is already figured in the price...so that's all I meant.

because I didn't try to throw Q under the bus [rolleyes]

you don't pay anything on top of the price listed and the tax is already figured in the price...so that's all I meant.

i was just ball-breaking. i hope the state isnt wasting taxpayers dollars monitoring this site... then again....lol

I haven't been in the Attleboro WM in a couple of months but they had ammo in a closed (under the counter) case that you had to ask about. It wasn't in a visible glass case but it was there.

I'd say that it's a rare day that they have 1000 rds of any one CF pistol cartridge however. They don't stock "quantities" like a real gun shop would.

Len, the North Attleboro Walmart has moved their ammo into the "standard" 7ft tall 4 ft wide case with plexi-glass/cage front right on the isle behind the sporting goods counter/island thingy. All the ammo is on display with the price tags under them. It has been like that for a while now, and everytime I stop in, I make my way to check the inventory, which is pretty good.

One evening I was there late, like 11:30PM, and wanted to buy ammo. They had to get the manager from the other side of the store, and she was a recent transfer from Kentucky IIRC. She was totally blown away that she 1. had to get the ammo from a locked case, 2. see my LTC and 3. walk the ammo up to the registers with me. She thinks our laws are dumb. Smart woman... I bought 15 of the 50rnd Federal 9mm boxes that night. [wink]

I pay my sales tax to the State promptly every month and my excise tax to the BATFE Tax Bureau promptly every quarter. For the record, 1000 rds of 115gr 9mm breaks down as follows:
Sell @ $162.05
+ Sales Tax @ $10.13 (6.25% of $162.05)
+ Excise Tax @ $17.82 (11% of $162.05)
Total @ $190

i was just ball-breaking. i hope the state isnt wasting taxpayers dollars monitoring this site... then again....lol

YES THEY DO! Derek has evidence of this and so do I.

Then again, there was/is a rat (FFL) who read stuff here and reported it to CHSB (back then) and the AG's office.

Len, the North Attleboro Walmart has moved their ammo into the "standard" 7ft tall 4 ft wide case with plexi-glass/cage front right on the isle behind the sporting goods counter/island thingy. All the ammo is on display with the price tags under them. It has been like that for a while now, and everytime I stop in, I make my way to check the inventory, which is pretty good.

One evening I was there late, like 11:30PM, and wanted to buy ammo. They had to get the manager from the other side of the store, and she was a recent transfer from Kentucky IIRC. She was totally blown away that she 1. had to get the ammo from a locked case, 2. see my LTC and 3. walk the ammo up to the registers with me. She thinks our laws are dumb. Smart woman... I bought 15 of the 50rnd Federal 9mm boxes that night. [wink]

Thanks for that correction. Haven't been there in a long time. I only stop there when I have business in that area and that's been rare these days.

FWIW,

I spoke directly with the MASS State Police's Attorney.
According to him ammunition can only be sold FTF and that the retailer has to possess an Ammo Dealers License through said person's Local PD. The dealer has to reside in Mass as well.
All an out of state entity can do is sell wholesale to an FFL located in Massachusetts.
Interenet sales of any kind are illegal.

I hope all Wal-Marts stop selling ammo.

-Jeff

so heres a question. I've gotten a couple others PMing me asking if I could pass on the info to them. Should I or shouldn't I?

I'll report, you'll decide! [laugh]

There are users from various state agencies whose mission is "anti-gun" (at least anti-law abiding citizens owning/using guns) and even one NES Member from the AG's office.

Do you know the people asking you? Do you trust them . . . and if so, based on what?

If not and the person is a mole, that supplier will most probably be shut down by the AG's office in rapid order.

So the ball's in your court now!

FWIW,

I spoke directly with the MASS State Police's Attorney.
According to him ammunition can only be sold FTF and that the retailer has to possess [STRIKE]an Ammo Dealers License through said person's Local PD[/STRIKE] a Massachusetts License to Sell Ammunition. The dealer has to reside in Mass as well. The ammo buyer must also present a valid MA RESIDENT firearms license to the seller/retailer at the time of purchase.

All an out of state entity can do is sell wholesale to an FFL located in Massachusetts.
Interenet sales of any kind are illegal.

I hope all Wal-Marts stop selling ammo.

-Jeff

This is why I started the part time ammo biz thing I do....it is also why I don't ship ammo (bolded/strikethrough/italics are my edits/adds to above). On the Wal-Mart thing though, I don't get it....why have Wal-Mart stop selling ammo?

Q

Last edited:
I just came from Wal-Mart in Westfield and asked the guy why they were not selling ammo anymore..He said that they will be selling it again soon but they had renew the licence..He said alot of stores had to the same....

thats a load of bullshit he fed you, i got the same answer in the fall of 2010. and yes i was able to buy ammo from them numerous times since december 2010.

yea i know the shelves are empty ive seen them first hand. but the answer of we have to renew our license is a bullshit answer.

Well, all MA licenses are issued to a "responsible person" with LTC for any retail establishment. If that person quits, gets transfered, etc. the license is VOID and must be re-applied for (new fee) under the new person's name. So the story could be true if they shuffled a number of managers from different stores.

Well, all MA licenses are issued to a "responsible person" with LTC for any retail establishment. If that person quits, gets transfered, etc. the license is VOID and must be re-applied for (new fee) under the new person's name. So the story could be true if they shuffled a number of managers from different stores.

i asked the manager and got a completely different story, hence why i cussed him out. i would have been fine with the truth the first time.

and this was after i called and had to go threw the whole asking of " did they have their permit yet" debacle.

but back on topic

Ive found deals are riverview in east windsor ct, and also at cabelas in east hartford

I know it doesnt help those in eastern Ma but for us out west it does

thats a load of bullshit he fed you, i got the same answer in the fall of 2010. and yes i was able to buy ammo from them numerous times since december 2010.

I called earlier today and was told that they wouldn't have ammunition "until the new store manager arrives."

I asked if they had any kind of time frame on that (week, month...?) and she hung up on me.

[thinking]

Go figure.

The OP asked about CHEAPEST ammo..........

The way to get the cheapest ammo is to make it yourself. Easy when you know how. Classes are available.

You can make 9mm ammo for about 1/2 of what you can buy it on sale for. That gives you twice the shooting for the same money.

Was at my club the other day, and another fellow was there shooting. I asked him if he did a lot of shooting. He replied that he didn't, because it cost so much. He said that he bought 50 round box a couple of times a week. It was the cheap berdan primed, steel cased stuff. He complained that it didn't shoot well, and he had a lot of failure to fire.

I tossed him three boxes of 9mm reloads. I suggested that he shoot them up, and really have fun with them. He sheepishly asked me how much he owed me. While telling him how cheap they were to make, I fired my gun and nailed the heck out of a paper plate at 75 feet away, pretty much rapid fire. When I mentioned that the reloads are better than the ability of the shooter to shoot them, he was hooked. I would never charge anyone for my reloads, and don't often hand any out. He shot the three boxes in short order, and said that he improved his shooting by being able to shoot more (even the three extra boxes helped a LOT). He also said that it was the most fun shooting that he had ever experienced. Because ammo is so expensive at the stores, he always shoots slowly, savoring every moment. By having so much ammo to shoot, it was much more fun, and helped him shoot better at the same time.

So, if you want better ammo, and cheaper ammo, make your own...............

I'll step down from the soap box now......................

The OP asked about CHEAPEST ammo..........

The way to get the cheapest ammo is to make it yourself. Easy when you know how. Classes are available.

You can make 9mm ammo for about 1/2 of what you can buy it on sale for. That gives you twice the shooting for the same money.

Was at my club the other day, and another fellow was there shooting. I asked him if he did a lot of shooting. He replied that he didn't, because it cost so much. He said that he bought 50 round box a couple of times a week. It was the cheap berdan primed, steel cased stuff. He complained that it didn't shoot well, and he had a lot of failure to fire.

I tossed him three boxes of 9mm reloads. I suggested that he shoot them up, and really have fun with them. He sheepishly asked me how much he owed me. While telling him how cheap they were to make, I fired my gun and nailed the heck out of a paper plate at 75 feet away, pretty much rapid fire. When I mentioned that the reloads are better than the ability of the shooter to shoot them, he was hooked. I would never charge anyone for my reloads, and don't often hand any out. He shot the three boxes in short order, and said that he improved his shooting by being able to shoot more (even the three extra boxes helped a LOT). He also said that it was the most fun shooting that he had ever experienced. Because ammo is so expensive at the stores, he always shoots slowly, savoring every moment. By having so much ammo to shoot, it was much more fun, and helped him shoot better at the same time.

So, if you want better ammo, and cheaper ammo, make your own...............

I'll step down from the soap box now......................

Thanks for the info, That is the plan down the road a bit. can I get started for under $500?
I got the Lyman catalog, But things seem to add up very quickly

Back
Top Bottom