-

I am holding a class-
NRA Basic Pistol Shooter Course
Sunday, January 17
8a-5p(I personally do not recommend any 4 hour "gun" class for new shooters)
Ashland Fish and Game
8 Ponderosa Street
Ashland, MA
$145 cash/$153 cc/ebt
You may audit the class, gladly.

Last edited:
Probably not a lot to ask for. Congrats to your girlfriend for wanting to go from contemplation to action.

There are a ton of instructors here and the ones I've seen post seem pretty cool. It shouldn't be a problem.

If you do attend I think it's fair that you sit and have no input into the class lesson.

I've attended too many meetings or classes where somebody thinks they know it all and can't refrain themselves from being a know it all.

Respectfully submitted

i've been on this site a few years, and hadn't seen this subject come up either. when mrs boscru signed up for her course, i asked the instructor about this and he said "no problem. we'd love to have you " and asaltweapon's comments are very fitting. just act like another student

Last edited:
This. You are 25 minutes from there. I recently took my GF there. I sat in class til the first break, then they let me hit the range once it opened until she was finished. Not a bad deal.

25 minutes from Medway to Holliston? Are you kidding? Never mind the this this stuff either.

MFS all the way. It's nearby, the price is well within reason and they allow guests.

That's where I went, gf tagged along and they didn't question. Having guests is like the norm for them.

If you do attend I think it's fair that you sit and have no input into the class lesson.

I've attended too many meetings or classes where somebody thinks they know it all and can't refrain themselves from being a know it all.

Respectfully submitted

X100...Took our classes at MFS..Great class but one guy who was a guest would not stop blurting things out..Instructor grew tired of him quickly and after a question would say "Anyone else know or want to guess "

Signed my girlfriend up for MFS all women's basic firearms course. It's January 26th, you should check to see if there are spots left.

MFS
We offer a 100% money back guarantee* and a Certification for Life™ Program (If you ever need to be rectified, retake the class for free).

Bring a guest with you to the class for FREE. The guest will be allowed to participate in every part of the class (even the shooting). If the guest wants their certification all they need to do is pay for the class (either that day or anytime in the future). Multiple guests can also attend...call or email for details.
So it seems as if are not yet licensed you could sit in with a friend and go back a month or two later and just pay and get the cert.

Sheesh...my basic pistol course cost me $30 I think. It was a while ago...but has the price really increased that much?

That's about what I paid for my first NRA course ~1978 too, however the club that ran it did it to get memberships, nobody was paid or reimbursed expenses for teaching.

Ammo cost $1.00/50 rds of .22 also. Today rumor has it that .22LR ammo is just a tad more expensive.

Nobody ever thought of paying for insurance to teach either back then, but now most clubs won't let you use their facility unless you have insurance (cost is $315.00/yr).

A gun club I used to belong to only allows one "club instructor" to teach for the club, one class/month and he told me that he uses pistol shooters as assistants (probably none of them are instructors). I doubt that any of them are insured and all expenses are on them but all income goes to the club . . . that does allow them to offer a relatively cheap class.

No idea what NRA student packets cost back in the 1970s as I was a mere student, but today as an instructor I can tell you that the NRA BP student packet currently cost $11.00 plus shipping (based on $$ not weight and a single packet would cost $8.80 to ship ground as of 2/2015) and they add the sales tax on top of shipping as well. So a single packet would cost $21.14 alone. Many instructors have to pay for using a classroom (I pay $10/student) as well as a range (I pay an additional $10/student), plus buy the guns, maintain them when they break, supply ammo, etc.

So I guess charging anyone more than $30-40 is a total rip-off, right?

There is only one "instructor" in this area getting rich from training and it is strictly due to volume and keeping his variable costs very low. Everyone else is probably close to break-even after factoring in all expenses in running it as a business.

I highly recommenced you let your GF go on her own. drop her off then go for lunch or dinner when you are done. I also recomend finding any ladies nights type of shooting.
hanson rod and gun has a ladies night that has been doing well.

My hunter ed instructors all swept the students repeatedly. One talked about always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction while pointing a shotgun through the window at two people unloading a fan. Another one had the class explain why a particular direction was unsafe and then said "we'll just pretend it's a safe direction" and pointed a gun there.

Back
Top Bottom