Cheap ammo or by design

I shot some wad cutter 38 special through my snubby today and these had a nice puff of smoke with each round fired. This is ammo I bought online during lock down. I've shot wad cutters before and don't remember this.

Is this by design for cowboy action shoots?

I shot some wad cutter 38 special through my snubby today and these had a nice puff of smoke with each round fired. This is ammo I bought online during lock down. I've shot wad cutters before and don't remember this.

Is this by design for cowboy action shoots?
Were they cast lead? Cast bullets smoke due to the lube used.

Yeah, those are lead, in general with limited exceptions most unjacketed lead bullets smoke.

Oddly enough companies do make plated DEWC bullets around the same weight but nobody really uses them commercially, just for
reloading. The 148gr lead HBWC or whatever it is, is so "iconic" most manufacturers just stick with lead on that load, fearing customers would
be all like "theese arent wad cuttahs!" etc if they plated them.

Yeah, those are lead, in general with limited exceptions most unjacketed lead bullets smoke.

Oddly enough companies do make plated DEWC bullets around the same weight but nobody really uses them commercially, just for
reloading. The 148gr lead HBWC or whatever it is, is so "iconic" most manufacturers just stick with lead on that load, fearing customers would
be all like "theese arent wad cuttahs!" etc if they plated them.

I shot some of the bonded (plated?) Under Wood 150 grain wad cutters. These did not smoke but kicked like a mule. Harder than the Sig +P holow point 125 grain

A copper-plated SWC would look... interesante.

1591059794301.png

Back
Top Bottom