• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cheap 9mm ammo

Yea freedom makes really good stuff. I buy in large lots and use them pretty much exclusively now. Their rounds have some pep to them. I usually just get their reman.

Good ammo is far from cheap...and cheap ammo is far from good.

If you just wanna make noise, bang two pots together.

Save your money and buy good ammo in bulk.

Good ammo is far from cheap...and cheap ammo is far from good.

If you just wanna make noise, bang two pots together.

Save your money and buy good ammo in bulk.

Im talking target ammo here, not for self defense. What is the difference if I reload it or they reload it?

Enlightened yet?

KABOOM.jpg

Ive noticed on a lot of forums, there is always the people who tell you to buy the best of the best, but yet they usually dont have a pot to piss in.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems more a timing issue than ammo

Not the case with me.

Timing would have blown the barrel off not the rear of the backstrap up.

Keep 'em commin...

Oh, and I hope you never win the "cheap ammo lottery."

Ive noticed on a lot of forums, there is always the people who tell you to buy the best of the best, but yet they usually dont have a pot to piss in.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems more a timing issue than ammo

We are shooting 100's of rounds a weekend and a few upcoming classes I need 500-1000 per class. Im spending about $240 a month on ammo not counting any classes. Ive shot a revolver maybe 3 times in my life but my first thought was gun malfunction

- - - Updated - - -

Not the case with me.

Timing would have blown the barrel off not the rear of the backstrap up.

Keep 'em commin...

I think you are taking things a little to personal. Your warning was heard, thanks

We are shooting 100's of rounds a weekend and a few upcoming classes I need 500-1000 per class. Im spending about $240 a month on ammo not counting any classes. Ive shot a revolver maybe 3 times in my life but my first thought was gun malfunction

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are taking things a little to personal. Your warning was heard, thanks

You should start reloading.

Right now, even with inflated prices you can load 9mm for ~ $7/box:

Here's a rough cost:
8# of powder (titegroup, W231, Hp38, etc..): $200/8 = $25/lb. 7000 grains per pound, 5 grains per load = 1400 rounds/lb or $0.0178 per round in powder.

115gn plated bullets (berry, xtreme, etc..): $100/1k = $0.10/round. Brass is free (save what you're shooting now).

Primers~ $24/1k = $0.024 per round

50* (.10+.0178+0.024) = $7.09 / box of 50.

If you do a little digging and looking around you can probably get closer to $6/ box of 50.

If you bought yourself a nice progress press (think Dillon 650 or Hornady LNL) you could load a few hundred rounds an hr, and the payback will be pretty quick shooting that many rounds / month.

Last edited:
Im spending about $240 a month on ammo not counting any classes.

If you're not reloading at this level, you're just pouring money downrange. Even if you decide to only use reloads for personal use (and not classes) you're still going to save shitloads of money. You could probably
halve that, easily, unless somehow you're burning up $240 worth of .22 LR, then I'd say you probably have different problems in play. [laugh]

-Mike

Components are about $130/1000 for 9mm. Commercial reloads are about $200.

Its up to you to decide if its worth the time and equipment costs.

Higher calibers and rifle ammo is where the real savings is...if youre exclusively shooting 9mm it might not be worth reloading.

If you're not reloading at this level, you're just pouring money downrange. Even if you decide to only use reloads for personal use (and not classes) you're still going to save shitloads of money. You could probably
halve that, easily, unless somehow you're burning up $240 worth of .22 LR, then I'd say you probably have different problems in play. [laugh]

-Mike

We priced just things like primers and lead, it came up to more money then we are spending now for factory ammo, we exclusively shoot 9mm

We priced just things like primers and lead, it came up to more money then we are spending now for factory ammo, we exclusively shoot 9mm

Then you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong, unless you can somehow or another get factory ammo for under $7 a box.

-Mike

Xtreme bullets (google it) are about $90/1000 for good quality plated bullets.

Pistol powder is $20-25/lb at local shops and will yield 1500+rounds per lb.

Primers are $30-40/1000 at most local shops.

Youll save at least $70/1000 compared with commercial reloads. Whether that makes the time and start up costs worth it is up to you.

I get 9mm from freedom at about 20 cents per round and I can't reload it any cheaper. Other calibers make reloading sense but not 9mm for me

Well I think it depends on what kind of shooting you're doing. It's nice to be able to make your own if you want 115 gr bullets RN/HP/FP, 124 gr, 125 gr RN/HP/FP, 135 gr, 147 gr, 160 gr etc.

You can certainly make more consistent/accurate ammo if you do testing with various bullets and powders. But I'm sure you're aware of that, since it sounds like you reload other calibers just not 9mm.

Using plated 115 gr RN bullets, 4 gr of Titegroup, and small pistol primer, a box of 50 runs me about $6.50. A little more if I use 124 gr plated HPs. Using jacketed 125 gr HP's will run me about $8.50 a box.

When I reload 44 and 357 mag, HOLY hell do I save BIG. It's insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong, unless you can somehow or another get factory ammo for under $7 a box.

-Mike

Yeah I'm not really sure how that's possible. Unless they're putting a cost on the time it takes to make the ammo? Of course there are startup costs of buying a press/components etc. but it will pay for itself quickly.

Too, most are talking plated or jacketed bullets. Go cast. You can buy cast for about 7 cents, primers for 4 and powder for 1. That's $6 a box. Paper targets or steel, neither knows what hit it, lead or copper.

In the last dozen years I've been here, I set up guys for reloading. None of them spent more than $250 in equipment. 2 of these guys cast their own from salvaged lead. Even were you to buy ingots on Ebay for shipped price of $2, your bullet costs would be way under a penny apiece. You used to hear yahoos talking about reloading 9MM for less than .22LR. Well that was BS. Today, not so much.

Go to the bargain table at your LGS, go to Estate Sales and General Auctions. You might be surprised. Last year I bought 30+ pounds of unopened powder for under $12 a pound. I got 30+ bricks of primers for about $12 apiece. Bought 900 pounds of lead for 55 cents a pound. My cost for a box .45 ACP, granted using bargain prices, is about $4 if I buy range pick-up brass, and that IS cheaper than the average .22LR today.

To those who cost out reloading, do yourself a favor and price your components in 1,000 piece increments.

Back
Top Bottom