• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheap 308 ammo

stinx

NES Member
Just a heads up ZQ 308 (made in Turkey) is going on sale at Walmart tomorrow for $9.97 per box of 20. My local walmart NConway sold me a bunch this afternon as it was already in the scanner for 9.97. From what I have read the ammo is made by MKE in turkey and appears to made to NATO spec YMMV.

I've been shooting this pretty regularly. It's not bad. 300yd headshots consistently. I haven't had the time to set up 4 bullseye targets and compare with other ammo but it is on my list. I dont have any complaints about the stuff

Does anyone have trouble running this stuff through their ar10s? I was at Wal-Mart tonight; this ZQ was only 50¢ more per 20 rounds than tula 308 steel case. Not sure if I should grab a few

Does anyone have trouble running this stuff through their ar10s? I was at Wal-Mart tonight; this ZQ was only 50¢ more per 20 rounds than tula 308 steel case. Not sure if I should grab a few
My POF had issues with Russion 308 I was having cases that would sticK in the chamber and not extract. I have had zero issues using brass cases non lacquered ammo. I now run the Russion stuff in my PTR. The PTR seems to work with everything.

I can't comment on the ZQ directly, but the MKE runs flawlessly in both my .308 AR and my .308 bolt gun.

The bolt gun will shoot average (not best of) 5 shot groups (not 3 shot groups) of .8" all day long if I do my part, using either my reloads or Federal GMM. With the MKEs the Groups open up to a almost 2".

One thing, the MKEs recoil a LOT less than my handloads. (175 gr SMK at 2720 out of the 26" bolt gun)

The MKE brass seems to be high quality. Its pretty consistent in weight when I prep it for reloading and the primer pockets are nice and snug once the crimp is removed.

Both my .308 guns are long range rifles (a loaded M1A and a 24" HB 700); safe to say, I'd' probably only run it in the M1A at Green shoots. Curious about how hot it runs, given the fragility of the gas systems in M1 family rifles.

Fragility in an M1A? Not the same as a Garand.

You're kidding right?

One way to beat a Garand into failure is to fire high pressure, heavy weight ammo out of it.

Here is a link to Schuster Manufacturing. They are the go to guys for Garand and M1A/M14 gas conversion parts to allow the use of modern ammo.

http://www.schustermfg.com/

Sold at both Midway and Brownells.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever try the magnet test? I get it has a copper jacket, so does a lot of ammo advertised as FMJ - which end up being bimetal.

The MKV is absolutely non magnetic. Its NATO spec. (Remember, Turkey is a NATO member) Right down to the annealing on the neck.

Don

Today I got more of this stuff at my local Walmart,again $9.97 a box of 20. The ammo guy said he doesn't think this price will be around come November YMMV.

Both my .308 guns are long range rifles (a loaded M1A and a 24" HB 700); safe to say, I'd' probably only run it in the M1A at Green shoots. Curious about how hot it runs, given the fragility of the gas systems in M1 family rifles.

i shot CMP with it in my M1A, ran fine, Its Nato spec 147 gr ball ammo, exactly what your M1A was designed to eat...

Back
Top Bottom