Charlie Activates the National Gaurd

Ok take this with a dump truck full of salt. There is a kind of Kookey old lady that lives in my building. I talk to her from time to time.

She said that today the Guard had a checkpoint going by Walmart In Leominster (rt.117?) and they were asking random people where they were going and such.

The last time the mass national guard carried loaded fire arms was the Springfield tornado and that was a long time ago. Not rifles either just the military police were issued loaded mags for the m9 for night patrols for looting. I was in the mass army guard for a very long time and retired last year.....I know a "few things" lol. Like how a very young and naive company commander lost his career over how that government issue 9mm was turned in. I was full time national guard and worked in the uspfo office back then. When his unit turned in their ammo after the activation was over the ammo supply point inventories every round by headstamp. His supply sergeant knew there were 5 rounds short .....went home......and grabbed 5 rounds of civilian made federal brand "9mm Luger" headstamped rounds and put those in the pile to be turned in. Supply sergeant told him "it'll be fine sir".

Bye bye army careers.

Anyway back on subject. I was activated probably 8 times over my career with the army national guard for natural disasters and never had a rifle on me for any of them. Never heard of any activations other than the Springfield tornado where they were ever issued.
I was MA guard also. We had rifles and ammo for a year at camp Edwards after 9/11 and for another year at a different location. Rifles were common post 9/11 as only MPs had pistols if I recall correctly.

How do you define armed? Does carrying an empty weapon with no ammo on the soldiers person armed?

Unlike police, it is not about everyone going home at night regardless of the cost in human life. It is not uncommon for national guard members to be ordered to carry unloaded firearms (with no ammo in possession) as a symbol of authority rather than an actual defensive tool. Someone in the guard please correct me if I am wrong about this.
I’ve been out for a while but I think that ship sailed post 9/11. There were times we were activated for bullshit like the tall ships in Boston were we were completely unarmed. I doubt they will have dudes walking around with unloaded select fire weapons and no way to defend them.

I was activated from the Army reserve on 9/11/01. We "were to defend the entrance to the drill center in case of an attack". We thought there would be attacks at military installations. know what I was issued? A Humvee and a radio. If we were attacked we were supposed to call it in on the radio and the soldiers inside would go to the armory and gear up. I would be dead. Maybe the guard is different but I would be surprised if they are armed.

I was MA guard also. We had rifles and ammo for a year at camp Edwards after 9/11 and for another year at a different location. Rifles were common post 9/11 as only MPs had pistols if I recall correctly.
But.....you had ammo and a weapon right?

Charlie is ok with no further restrictions, just like he was ok with no checks at logan.
Let's see what he says tomorrow when medical providers run out of supplies trying to attend to more patients.
When will he activate his illegals?
[popcorn]

How do you define armed? Does carrying an empty weapon with no ammo on the soldiers person armed?
I used to patrol the border with East Germany, and every soldier on patrol had five rounds, and that magazine was duct-taped into a mag pouch.

Nothing in the mag well, not even an empty magazine. And muzzles had to point away from the border at all times.

Meanwhile the commies were carrying C&L with 210 rounds.

I used to patrol the border with East Germany, and every soldier on patrol had five rounds, and that magazine was duct-taped into a mag pouch.

Nothing in the mag well, not even an empty magazine. And muzzles had to point away from the border at all times.

Meanwhile the commies were carrying C&L with 210 rounds.

You're not the 1st person to say that. Why the f*** was that a thing? I know a guy who went to a West German sporting shop and bought their own .223 because they were so uncomfortable with having so little ammunition. He said the cost of the rounds was outrageous ontop of it.

I carried 210 5.56x45 and 45 9x19 and no one even batted an eye. Such a weird transition.

She said that today the Guard had a checkpoint going by Walmart In Leominster (rt.117?) and they were asking random people where they were going and such.
Smells like pure bullshit, the local faceplant pages for Fitchburg etc (DFN, etc) would be on fire talking about that shit if it actually happened.

-Mike

You're not the 1st person to say that. Why the f*** was that a thing? I know a guy who went to a West German sporting shop and bought their own .223 because they were so uncomfortable with having so little ammunition. He said the cost of the rounds was outrageous ontop of it.

I carried 210 5.56x45 and 45 9x19 and no one even batted an eye. Such a weird transition.

I read one story (maybe it was here, might have been some other board) where a dude who served near the Korean DMZ said he carried an unloaded
rifle, and there was a box or some shit near the guard station that actually had loaded mags in it.... WTAF. I was like... wow.... when I read that.

-Mike

I read one story (maybe it was here, might have been some other board) where a dude who served near the Korean DMZ said he carried an unloaded
rifle, and there was a box or some shit near the guard station that actually had loaded mags in it.... WTAF. I was like... wow.... when I read that.

-Mike

Major training issue if that's whats going on. And it wouldn't surprise me. A lot of commanders pre 9/11 did not want the liability of their soldiers shooting random shit, etc. If one of their guys did, it would be the brass who would ultimately face some sort of administrative punishment which can end careers in aggressive and competitive promotional environments.

We had the "we know which ammo is yours so dont think you can replace it" lie told to us in attempt to curb soldiers from shooting at things while they weren't being well supervised. Some guys did run off and make impromptu ranges in the woods, etc. We knew that the ammo wasnt serialized or marked, it was obvious. But we didn't tell them we knew and didn't talk about it so it sorta was just a thing. The guys who shot off ammo would just replenish it at the next legit range and or take ammo off a legit range and use that to fill mags back up.

Smells like pure bullshit, the local faceplant pages for Fitchburg etc (DFN, etc) would be on fire talking about that shit if it actually happened.

-Mike

Yup. Maybe there were some guard guys parked on the side of the road waiting for something and were shooting the shit with some guys from their unit who weren’t on duty. That’s about the only guess I have if she actually saw something.

That’s what I figured. I kind of feel bad for posting it.

The other thing I just thought of... that's a pretty high traffic area, you'd have to have a massive roadblock to stop people, etc. 190 meets 117, there's a walmart there (which is probably a shit show), tractor supply, Aldi, a big gas station, a Lowes, coffe place, and texas roadhouse (which is prolly closed or set up take out only) .

No NG trooper in MA is going to be issued live ammo while standing on MA soil..........
The fear, hand wringing turmoil would be unthinkable.

MAARNG
A Co., 1/181st Inf. 1990 - 1993

Charlie is ok with no further restrictions, just like he was ok with no checks at logan.
Let's see what he says tomorrow when medical providers run out of supplies trying to attend to more patients.
When will he activate his illegals?
[popcorn]
Earlier today NES told me a shelter in place wouldnt happen. So it cant happen. Right?

Major training issue if that's whats going on. And it wouldn't surprise me. A lot of commanders pre 9/11 did not want the liability of their soldiers shooting random shit, etc. If one of their guys did, it would be the brass who would ultimately face some sort of administrative punishment which can end careers in aggressive and competitive promotional environments.

We had the "we know which ammo is yours so dont think you can replace it" lie told to us in attempt to curb soldiers from shooting at things while they weren't being well supervised. Some guys did run off and make impromptu ranges in the woods, etc. We knew that the ammo wasnt serialized or marked, it was obvious. But we didn't tell them we knew and didn't talk about it so it sorta was just a thing. The guys who shot off ammo would just replenish it at the next legit range and or take ammo off a legit range and use that to fill mags back up.

Joe goes crazy when he's got ammo and no supervision. He'll experiment with field-expedient silencers. Ask me how I know.

As I said have been activated probably 8 tiles for natural disasters. Never once been issued a weapon .....loaded or unloaded. Only issuing of weapons for a disaster was the Springfield tornado and it was just mp doing presence patrols and they were loaded side arms.

As far as carrying an unloaded weapon......only time I ever did that was for training or transport from armory to the base to use when we got there. Was NEVER told to carry an unloaded weapon for ""posture" or to show "authority". Now....there are threat levels taken into consideration for missions with weapons. No mag in weapon. Mag in weapon not chambered.....and loaded and chambered. Take it from me ......if you see troops out there doing actual disaster relief missions (not training) and they have a rifle or side arm there is ammo present.

My experience runs 25 years in the national guard. 12 enlisted and made e6 then the rest as an officer and retired as a major. Held company command as a captain for 2 different units total time as company commander was 4.5 years. I'm fairly knowledgeable lol.
I flew out of TF Green Nov. 2001 and they had NG working the security line. As I recall they had empty rifles.

I think that Tall Deval and Mharrrty have said what the hell, we can't even provide a small level of increased medical support, so why even try. The hospitals are overwhelmed now, and it just started to hit here. It's all a big show from now on to make it look like they might be doing something. They are just getting ready to handle the body count logistics. So, unless your a wealthy lawyer from the Hampton's that can have a personal ventilator reserved, your on your own. I hope a lot of us survive to see China crushed.

Last edited:
The last time the mass national guard carried loaded fire arms was the Springfield tornado and that was a long time ago. Not rifles either just the military police were issued loaded mags for the m9 for night patrols for looting. I was in the mass army guard for a very long time and retired last year.....I know a "few things" lol. Like how a very young and naive company commander lost his career over how that government issue 9mm was turned in. I was full time national guard and worked in the uspfo office back then. When his unit turned in their ammo after the activation was over the ammo supply point inventories every round by headstamp. His supply sergeant knew there were 5 rounds short .....went home......and grabbed 5 rounds of civilian made federal brand "9mm Luger" headstamped rounds and put those in the pile to be turned in. Supply sergeant told him "it'll be fine sir".

Bye bye army careers.

Anyway back on subject. I was activated probably 8 times over my career with the army national guard for natural disasters and never had a rifle on me for any of them. Never heard of any activations other than the Springfield tornado where they were ever issued.
Katrina

You mean Whitinsville? Thats was a forward support company (logistics) for an engineer battalion. I deployed to Iraq with that unit in 2009 as the company xo. They are a logistics unit and have transportation assets so they get activated now and then.
D181 and the paving company are there now

That would be GO time.

but.. with shutting everything down, it’s about the only tax mass can still get. So, probably not.

You underestimate them. Expect emergency protection fees. And riders for online school activities. And quarintine monitors.

Back
Top Bottom