• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Charging LEOs to use Club Range

Hard to believe. Aren't the badge carriers the only ones considered to be "professional" enough to be trusted with firearms? Or maybe it is just a Massachusetts thing? Maura is our governor now, with an anti-gun AG in her pocket. Do we have anything to really fear?
I will be looking forward to her getting bench slapped .

Everyone should take a look at this.
I'd be willing to bet that half of NES wouldn't pass.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a stage that started.. "With pistol holstered, shooter holds a medium coffee in one hand and a chocolate frosted donut in the other.
When buzzer sounds, shooter transitions coffee and donut to non dominant hand. Shooter draws pistol and moves to 5 yard line. Shooter then fires at medium dog silhouette. 10 rounds, number of hits required 1."
I dont know , my actual NES personal connection says diffetent
Im going to guess 1//2 would.
Heck the old NRA pistol qualification was harder I think ?

Police status will not protect one from accidents, only from the ensuing consequences.
I agree. Cop f***s up, no repercussions. One of us peons f***s up or is falsely accused of f***ing up? Let me guess....LTC revoked for "suitability" and gun safe forcibly emptied, with contents headed straight to a bonded theft house. It would be interesting to know how many cops had their personal gun collections grabbed and sent to a theft house. My bet? Not many at all!

I agree. Cop f***s up, no repercussions. One of us peons f***s up or is falsely accused of f***ing up? Let me guess....LTC revoked for "suitability" and gun safe forcibly emptied, with contents headed straight to a bonded theft house. It would be interesting to know how many cops had their personal gun collections grabbed and sent to a theft house. My bet? Not many at all!
Officer Duncan, Framingham kills a non belligerent with an AR15 AD - no problem, on duty and armed to this day, Not even disarmed of any personal guns while the investigation is in progress, name withheld until it's old news.

Few weeks later a kid accidentally shoots his friend in the head with a BB gun penetrating the skull requiring surgery - felony charges, probably never get an LTC, and only fancy lawyering by a highly respected attorney gets it down to (I think) something less than a felony.

Officer Duncan, Framingham kills a non belligerent with an AR15 AD - no problem, on duty and armed to this day, Not even disarmed of any personal guns while the investigation is in progress, name withheld until it's old news.

Few weeks later a kid accidentally shoots his friend in the head with a BB gun penetrating the skull requiring surgery - felony charges, probably never get an LTC, and only fancy lawyering by a highly respected attorney gets it down to (I think) something less than a felony.
About what I figured. Nothing new. I got a tour of the Lawrence Police station back in the day when my uncle was a reserve. I looked through the glass panel on the armory door and saw at least 6 M1921/28 Thompsons with drum mags, several M16A1s, and plenty of other weapons. Obviously, cops are immune to all gun laws, we know that. BB guns being dangerous? Yes. When I bought my son his first gun, a Sheridan Silver Streak .20 caliber air rifle, I fired it right through a thick piece of plywood. He got the message!

Not enforceable by the state.

You can literally tell a LEO in NH to get lost if they wanted to see your stamps its none of their business.
I agree, but what would happen if the LEO dimes you out to ATF? Would it cause further fed scrutiny over your NFA weapons?

I agree, but what would happen if the LEO dimes you out to ATF? Would it cause further fed scrutiny over your NFA weapons?

Doubtful the ATF woud care, but even if they do, all they're going to do is... check your shit out. Then probably get mad at the PD for wasting their
time.

If it makes you feel better you can tell the cops "My NFA devices are registered as required by federal law" instead of telling them to f*** off. [rofl]

Doubtful the ATF woud care, but even if they do, all they're going to do is... check your shit out. Then probably get mad at the PD for wasting their
time.

If it makes you feel better you can tell the cops "My NFA devices are registered as required by federal law" instead of telling them to f*** off. [rofl]
Yes, let's be the better person by doing it diplomatically. I hate those creeps!

Depends. Sometimes they actually direct traffic. Other times they are sitting in their cruisers.
What I've seen driving through local towns (town cops, not MSP).
In order of what I see:
50%- Talking on their phones (usually not near the work area or even paying attention to the work site or traffic),
25%- Talking with the contractors (keeping them from working),
20%- Directing traffic.
5%- Sitting in their cruisers

MSP is probably 75% sitting in their cruisers, 25% talking on their phones.

In order of what I see:
50%- Talking on their phones (usually not near the work area or even paying attention to the work site or traffic),
20%- Directing traffic.

QFT.

After the Haverhill club let the Sheriffs boys use the range a bullet was "found" in someones house siding down range and they had to make everyone shoot through barrels after that.
Never went back after that.

In order of what I see:
20%- Directing traffic.

yeah, but it's real funny when they pull over someone from CT or NY

In order of what I see:
20%- Directing traffic.

I think that if you do some research, you will find that on most of the road jobs that MSP are doing, that they are hired for the lights. On the interstates they will be well before the road work and again in front of the barrier truck. They are not there to do traffic control.

I think that if you do some research, you will find that on most of the road jobs that MSP are doing, that they are hired for the lights. On the interstates they will be well before the road work and again in front of the barrier truck. They are not there to do traffic control.

I doubt you're wrong.

And it's still not a good reason to put them there. Minimum five hours of OT, over and over and over again, has got to be more expensive than renting some lights, or even buying them and letting them pay for themselves on multiple jobs over the years.

In order of what I see:
20%- Directing traffic.

You left out "looking into the hole".

I doubt you're wrong.

And it's still not a good reason to put them there. Minimum five hours of OT, over and over and over again, has got to be more expensive than renting some lights, or even buying them and letting them pay for themselves on multiple jobs over the years.
Mass Highway (when it was called that) "used to" have a couple of trucks that had the red and blue lights on them, but those permits were some reason revoked. Believe it or not MSP does not have first refusal on state jobs. I found that out when the engineer out of the N. Chelmsford Pit called me to work a couple of road jobs. ( I only worked over the course of 29years, 5 road jobs, I hated them) One job was on 495N in Tewksbury, I was told that my position was in front of the barrier truck and that I was hired for the lights.

In order of what I see:
20%- Directing traffic.

Back when my wife did environmental work, she found that the details were sometimes useful. There was one time in Waltham where Digsafe improperly marked the location of the gas main and the driller center punched the main. Then there was a large, long-term project on a road with a lot of traffic and a 45 mph speed limit. On that project, their detail officer stopped traffic to allow them to make the left turn into the site, and to allow the construction trucks to get into and out of the site.

In general, though, I think details are an unnecessary expense. I had to hire a detail officer at $450 for less than 1/2 a day simply to take a tree down at my house.

Sounds like they should be supervised and treated like children. Ain’t no body got time for that.

Back when my wife did environmental work, she found that the details were sometimes useful. There was one time in Waltham where Digsafe improperly marked the location of the gas main and the driller center punched the main. Then there was a large, long-term project on a road with a lot of traffic and a 45 mph speed limit. On that project, their detail officer stopped traffic to allow them to make the left turn into the site, and to allow the construction trucks to get into and out of the site.

In general, though, I think details are an unnecessary expense. I had to hire a detail officer at $450 for less than 1/2 a day simply to take a tree down at my house.
NH is a different world!

I had 35 trees taken out 2 weeks ago and almost all were over the house and power line. I asked the tree company if a detail would be needed and was told no, but if they felt the need they would use their own flaggers. Well they had to back the grinder (and mulch catcher) truck so that it blocked >1/2 of the road (which is a minor thoroughfare thru town) for an entire day. No flaggers, no police detail, nobody was hassled. They had flashing lights on that truck and that was all.

And when was the last time anyone was asked to show the stamp?
That's kind of my point. In states where there's no NFA bans unless a cop is some kind of weird douche, this just isn't happening.

Last edited:
If regular Joe wants to inspect my rifle at the range, I can tell him to go kick rocks. It's a little harder to do that with a guy who has arrest powers. Did this really need to be spelled out?
They can pound rocks too. They need a warrant to see my paperwork if they aren't the ATF.

Back
Top Bottom