• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Charging LEOs to use Club Range

If it is a state job it either comes from a federal grant for the work or the state. Which is paid from tax dollars. But even if they have flag men it is going to come from our tax dollars. And because it is state or federal work they are paid prevailing wage, so the same cost. They are on most construction jobs if blocks or interferes with public right of way.

You do know that there are like 2 states(as far as I know) that require police details, right? MA and NJ, which by no coincidence have the highest cost per mile to pave a highway lol

The vast majority of details are basically scams on the taxpayer.. If anyone thinks costs aren't passed on to the consumer for this mandatory BS, you are naïve. So far, the only people in favor of details are cops and their families.

There are times when details are needed to direct traffic, every state has that. But cops sitting in their cruisers while a VZ truck is parked off the road, or a Statie sitting in the center divider for 8 hours on a bridge detail, those are complete scams with taxpayer dollars as a gift from politicians to police.

I mean if a state like California with 100x the amount of people can do without mandatory police details, I think a little state like MA can handle it as well.

Last edited:

As we speak . . .

Milford police will conduct annual firearms training four nights this week​

Daily News Staff
Mon, November 14, 2022 at 8:43 AM·1 min read
MILFORD The Police Department advises residents that police will be conducting their annual nighttime firearms training over four nights this week.
In a press release, police said training will take place from 4-10 p.m. on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Milford Police Department firearms range on Cedar Street (Route 85).
Police said that although this training may be inconvenient for some residents, it's an important and mandatory piece of training that all officers must attend to ensure they are well trainied and prepared to serve the community.
Those with questions are asked to contact Sgt. Michael Mastroianni at 508-473-1113.
Who is the ass whole that decided to do this in November? Don't do it in July when its 70 degrees at 9:00 pm.
Nope, wait until November when it 30.

Who is the ass whole that decided to do this in November? Don't do it in July when its 70 degrees at 9:00 pm.
This is what we did to conduct low light training and qual with the Environmental Police. This was done after the fall time change so that we would not piss off the neighborhood shooting at ten o'clock at night. Also, it is training as well as qual, you don't get to pick the conditions at work of when the shit goes bad. We conducted training and qual in rain, snow and summer heat. I only cancelled training once and that was due to a thunderstorm.

You do know that there are like 2 states(as far as I know) that require police details, right? MA and NJ, which by no coincidence have the highest cost per mile to pave a highway lol

The vast majority of details are basically scams on the taxpayer.. If anyone thinks costs aren't passed on to the consumer for this mandatory BS, you are naïve. So far, the only people in favor of details are cops and their families.

There are times when details are needed to direct traffic, every state has that. But cops sitting in their cruisers while a VZ truck is parked off the road, or a Statie sitting in the center divider for 8 hours on a bridge detail, those are complete scams with taxpayer dollars as a gift from politicians to police.

I mean if a state like California with 100x the amount of people can do without mandatory police details, I think a little state like MA can handle it as well.
I can only speak from personal experience. I’m retired now, so I have no reason to lie. All the details I worked were legit. Most of the time it was for a road that had to have a lane shut down while they worked.

Could they have used a flag man? Maybe. I’m not sure how the jerks on the road would react to that. Did they have to pay me $50 and change an hour? For ME personally to work it, yes. I wouldn’t sign up for it if it was straight time.

I can only speak from personal experience. I’m retired now, so I have no reason to lie. All the details I worked were legit. Most of the time it was for a road that had to have a lane shut down while they worked.

Could they have used a flag man? Maybe. I’m not sure how the jerks on the road would react to that. Did they have to pay me $50 and change an hour? For ME personally to work it, yes. I wouldn’t sign up for it if it was straight time.
You must not have been a Statie:) 99% of SP details I see they are never out of the car except to stretch after watching a 3 hour movie...The local cops I see actually get out of their car and direct the flow of traffic when needed. The only local scams I see is whenever VZ is working, even if they are off the road, there is a detail..No wonder VZ is so expensive lol

Also, in most cases when the town is working on something, for some reason a detail is not needed. So that gives me the impression that details are only necessary if it doesnt have to come out of the town budget .

I used to work for the phone company. I was inside the center and we dispatched the field techs and provided network assistance to troubleshoot and test.

I dispatched a tech to an address in my own town once and he described the scam. He told me my town was one of the worst offenders.

Phone company truck parked in the road right-of-way but completely off the travel lane. Local police roll up and threaten to summons for violating a local ordinance that requires a police detail. Tech calls their manager who arranges the detail. No work can be done until the PD does a callout for an off duty officer who wants the OT and they arrive on-site. Detail is billed at a minimum five hours, even if the work is only thirty minutes.

Detail officer on OT decides work location is safe without a detail and drives off after thirty minutes. Still billed for five hours.

Utility truck drives one half mile down the road to test at the next location. Wash, rinse, repeat.

One utility truck with one tech on one job can require three or five details at five hours each, which is filled by one off duty cop on OT in one or three hours.

Phone company remembers. Any service calls for the town are multiple days and, funny, but that falls outside your inside wiring plan. Please pay. Yes, our workforce is union represented too, and our OT is even more generous than yours. So sad.

Taxpayer gets bent. Over. Twice.

Totally wrong. NJ does not require details at construction sites. Costs are higher due to the union contracts that involve significantly higher costs to do work overnight among other factors.

Totally wrong. NJ does not require details at construction sites. Costs are higher due to the union contracts that involve significantly higher costs to do work overnight among other factors.

Totally wrong, and you are totally right I take it...If I am totally wrong, what states require police details like MA?

So NJ doesn't have police details on construction sites and road work?

UPDATED: How Do Road Construction Costs in Your State Compare Nationally?

If you feel like doing some reading, higher labor costs DO NOT equate to highest cost per mile, nor do police details.. Point being, details do not detract from the cost and only a couple of states use them like MA and NJ.. Maybe NJ doesn't require it, but they are stealing from taxpayers just like MA is when it comes to state and federal projects.. Big Dig lol

Last edited:
If I had 1 million dollars for each time I’ve been muzzled with loaded guns or had an ND in my direction, I’d have like 40 million dollars.

Edit: The best one being a cop running an ak47 in my class that didn’t like the safety (it was hard to operate) that put a round at my feet when he turned around and let his gun hang… got caught on his chest rig mags and let one go.
So...you as the instructor permitted a unsuitable firearm on the range? Either the safety, as required operated properly or it didn't. If you're running a hot range then provisions should be made for the increased safety.

This.

Letting the same cops that will gleefully toss you you in cuffs for having an 11 round mag or god forbid having a firearm at all without a permission slip. f*** them. f*** them all.
To clarify, my club allows yearly qualifications by the locals. NOT wide open entry to the range anytime, or free memberships.
I would not be happy having PO PO nosing around while I was there, regardless of my attention to the laws of the commonwealth.

So now police doing their job by informing someone that complained about noise ordinances is considered "helping" ?

How far public perception has fallen when cops doing their job is now considered going above a

In a small town in Maine a few years ago , the Chief took his guys down to the range to qualify .
While the chief was downrange changing targets , a couple of his chimps were finger f*cking a pistol on a cold range.
He got shot right square in the back.
Thankfully he knew his own guys well enough to be wearing his vest.
What I would have paid to be there to witness what transpired when he got up off the ground.
Well, I've seen non police members doing stupid things at the range, probably more often than the police. It's why I belong to a club where the range is small and rarely used, and only train with instructors who carefully screen their students before allowing them to attend.

So I guess they would never get involved with an incident in the colder months. Guess there is no downside to have zero training in conditions requiring heavier clothing, gloves and dark cold conditions. Not to mention starting at 9pm would have the firing continuing until midnight. See hos that goes over with the town residents.

Nor do you seem to realize that many state requirements for firearm's qualifications require a certain time frame between sessions. It's good to see they are doing actual low/no light training. Shutting off the lights in a indoor range isn't anything near what no light outside looks like.

My town had to take the entire range for the day so they could keep the public away so they didn't see that the captain couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even with the shotgun. Made us all leave so she could have extra time with the instructor. Funny how she could qualify as soon as we all left.

So...you as the instructor permitted a unsuitable firearm on the range? Either the safety, as required operated properly or it didn't. If you're running a hot range then provisions should be made for the increased safety.

You have zero understanding of how I run a range and zero understanding of how bad cops are with guns…bootlicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

50 an hour? I got some buddies that are making 90 + an hour doing details, not only that, they are getting paid for 8 regardless if they are there for 45 minutes or the full 8.

To clarify, my club allows yearly qualifications by the locals. NOT wide open entry to the range anytime, or free memberships.
I would not be happy having PO PO nosing around while I was there, regardless of my attention to the laws of the commonwealth.

I wouldn't even want the yearly qualifications unless it comes with a whole lot of goodwill from them. Even then, goodwill from the government is a capricious thing at best.

Maybe a fee charged to the town or better yet, a steep discount on property taxes.

Yeah I know stupidity does happen. It’s mainly due to the lack of supervision on the range. You do ANYTHING weird on a military range for instance and someone is going to put a boot up your ass instantly.

Some years back a trooper got shot in the stomach with a shotgun at the range. If there hadn’t been a medic there with a full kit, he would have died.
Range NCO's used to carry a M16 cleaning rod to whack Joe's who weren't paying attention to range commands.

Back
Top Bottom